Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB 2242 cam. Compression ratio thoughts.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: CB 2242 cam. Compression ratio thoughts. Reply with quote

Looking for thoughts on this compression ratio using CB 2242 cam
Adv dur. 298°
Dur @ .050. 248°
Lift at cam. .389
Lift with 1.1:1. .428

40x35 oval ported heads 59-60cc chambers
1.1:1 rocker arms.
Dual Weber 40 IDFs 32 vents
Tri-mil header.

Going in street buggy.

With what I've got know with theses cc heads, .052 deck I come up with
8.9:1 to 9:1 compression ratio. Will this be OK ratio for this cam? Don't want any problems associated with to high comp ratio. Also don't want to have to increase head cc unless absolutely necessary.

I talked to CB. They said should be ok though wouldn't give me a solid compression ratio # for this cam.

Thanks.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 2242 cam. Compression ratio thoughts. Reply with quote

9.0:1 is fine. You could probably even use 87 octane with that compression.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 2242 cam. Compression ratio thoughts. Reply with quote

It will run better and be nicer to drive with premium fuel, If it's behaves like My Webcam 163 engine below does then it will be a little cantankerous on regular, Mine would backfire after shutdown on regular but not premium, also getting better highway gas milage on premium fuel and running cooler.
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 2242 cam. Compression ratio thoughts. Reply with quote

Am hoping the 9:1 will be fine as everything mocks up there now. Not a daily driver, nice weather cruiser. If I need to run premium that's ok also as long as it works. Using non ethanol premium in curent 1679 engine.

Lucky to have fuel station a few miles away that is all non ethanol and carries all 3 grades.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 2242 cam. Compression ratio thoughts. Reply with quote

It should be fine. A Buggy with an exposed engine can run cooler then an enclosed engine in a Bug.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 2242 cam. Compression ratio thoughts. Reply with quote

should be ok, I wood go with 1.34 ratio rockers...of corse I would also bump the cr up a tad too Shocked so what are the assocated problems with higher cr??bad spellen???
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 2242 cam. Compression ratio thoughts. Reply with quote

Mark, I guess It would have been better said, I don't want problems with using to high of compression for the cam I have CB 2242. Wink
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: CB 2242 cam. Compression ratio thoughts. Reply with quote

Mark, I guess It would have been better said, I don't want problems with using to high of compression for the cam I have CB 2242.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: CB 2242 cam. Compression ratio thoughts. Reply with quote

I think my cb cam is about 6 ~8degrees more with 10.4cr. But your motor is bigger than mine and 9 should do fine for you,but I would still go with 1.34 rockers. (just incase you need to pass somebody on the highway) or 1.4 ratio if your springs will take it,oh somany heads these days come with shit springs that dont take squat for lift.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: