Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 vw starter bushing sleeve?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marty1835
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: 1970 vw starter bushing sleeve? Reply with quote

so the old girl---starter no starty. pulled the starter out and went to replace the starter bushing. Well a steel sleeve came out? New bushing that came with the new starter it too small for the block. Could someone have sleeved the block? i was hoping to put an automatic tranny starter in but the one we had laying around did not fit. Not sure year of the auto starter is though.

any thoughts??

thanks as usual for any help.

Marty
new air cooled guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw starter bushing sleeve? Reply with quote

There is 4 different starter bushings depending on year transaxle case and flywheel and starter.....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277580

Odd autotrans starter would not fit, its the usual fix for bad bushing problems... Still running 6 volt starter and flywheel?

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
marty1835
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw starter bushing sleeve? Reply with quote

thanks for the info Dale-- it is starting to make sense. Buggy is registered as a 1960 and the motor number says its a 1970 so I am thinking the case is a 1960. I have to dig around some more and figure it out.

your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks again-
Marty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw starter bushing sleeve? Reply with quote

Clean off problem starter and look to see if its 6 volt or 12 volt, information should be stamped on outer housing... Many people run 6 volt starters on 12 volt and are quite successful, I did it for several years after converting buggy to 12 volt electricals... Later when buggy was completely taken down to bare chassis for complete restoration starter and fly wheel were converted to 12 volts...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
marty1835
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw starter bushing sleeve? Reply with quote

believe it or not my friend stopped at VW dealership with the 2 bushings just to see what they would have to say this morning. Service Manager is a classic VW guy! Knew exactly what he was looking at and said the same thing- order pre 1966 starter and don't worry about.

very cooool.

Dale again I appreciate the response- I am very new to air-cooled.

marty
marty1835
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 vw starter bushing sleeve? Reply with quote

yup-- old 6v starter showed up at the shop today---bushing is the same size as the one I removed.

I love learning new stuff..........

next up- shifter bushing.......already been reading/youtubing and actually looking forward to it.

thanks again Dale for the help- sometimes tough being FNG!!

Marty
1952 Ford Mainline
1960 VW Dune Buggy (frame is a 1966- motor is 1970)
1966 Ford Wagon Country Sedan
1966 IH Tow Truck
1978 Jeep CJ7 V8
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: