Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Going from 3 rib bus trans to IRS type 1
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Going from 3 rib bus trans to IRS type 1 Reply with quote

Yes I know backwards from the way most people would be going. But in a chassis built around a three rib bus trans would there be and dimensional constraints installing a type I trans?

I ask because partly my trans is a little noisy in 4th and in need of some TLC but mostly because for a street rail it's about as sporty to drive as a 66 GMC with a 305 v6 and a sm465. I make two shifts before I get through an intersection, I'll shift from first within the length of the buggy. A taller 1'st would be welcome as well as a taller overall final drive.
DSTMULE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Going from 3 rib bus trans to IRS type 1 Reply with quote

Bigger rear tires?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Going from 3 rib bus trans to IRS type 1 Reply with quote

DSTMULE wrote:
Bigger rear tires?

I was at 31's and I downsized to 235's

Very small affect to the overall gearing and of course no change to the spacing.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Going from 3 rib bus trans to IRS type 1 Reply with quote

In my fiberglass buggy, I went front a swing axle with 4.37 to a 5 rib. First thing I noticed, is that its not as sporty, or fun on the street. Its also noisier, and slower to shift. I hope it will be better when I take it offroad up in the mountains.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Going from 3 rib bus trans to IRS type 1 Reply with quote

Oh yeah. When I went from type 1 to bus, I had to change the front mount, also had to weld in new rear mounts. Also, the trans is not really quite centered. So based on that, I think you will have to do some reworking.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Going from 3 rib bus trans to IRS type 1 Reply with quote

i went from 3rib to type 1 on one of mine several years ago, mostly because its a street buggy and i already knew from a previous one that i swapped a 3 rib into that it'd be no good for highway, both of them turned almost 4000 rpm at 50 mph with 31's. swapping either way is no big deal just get the right mounts, you gotta figure that if your torsion tube is out of a type 1 then a type 1 trans is a factory fit...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: