Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Info for building my first engine
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Info for building my first engine Reply with quote

I think you got it just choose heads then the cam you want! John at Aircooled net has tech articles about engine combos on his web-site. Give a few of those a read then decide on parts. I was just trying to give you some low cost build Ideas here then save some money for carburetors.
I bought one of those 4340 alloy supper race cranks CBperformance sells for like $289, The shop did a dynamic balance and both the crank and rods the CB H beam rods were perfectly balanced. Yeah, gentle cam for dependability! Webcams (Good things start to happen at about 250' advance @ .050" lift). You don't need more than .4" lift with the big valve heads. Special lightweight lifters: 1538 30mm Lightweight Racing Lifters (set of Eight) would let you keep valve spring pressure low enough to run stock push rods.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshooalane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Info for building my first engine Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I had read his 1800 article, I'll give the rest a look too! This is starting to make a lot more sense now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Info for building my first engine Reply with quote

If you want a great engine that will be very dependable and last 80,000 miles or more I'd build a 2110. No matter what any body tells you 90.5mm pistons run cooler and last longer then 94mm pistons. After 40 years the 2110 is still my choice for a street engine. I won't waste my time with the 74-76 strokes, they are more of a pain in the ass to build then a 82 stroke.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Info for building my first engine Reply with quote

Stay focused, keep reading & learning, Grasshopper
At least there's a decent budget.

Joshooalane wrote:
SEEEE THESE ARE THE THINGS I DON'T KNOW! I guess that's why my grandfather was pushing the 90.5x74! ...... I think I've been misleading, I'm not going to "build" the engine. I'd love to, but the shop is going to actually put the case and the components together. Maybe that's why I've been catching slack. I don't have the tools or precise measuring instruments for that. I do however want to have a say and be informed on what goes in it. so we have 90.5x74 94x69 and now 94x74.
I feel like this is starting to get on the large end though haha Laughing

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Info for building my first engine Reply with quote

" Joshooalane " Tell me about your case, What year is it? AE? AH?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: