Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

Hey, Guys! Just bought a pretty mint condition Notch and im looking for wheels.

Im gonna buy the 7x17 ET40 Raider wheels fully chromed.
But i need some help to get the right tire sizes.

I`ve seen countless of combinations here on the page.

The key is that i dont want to change to longer/shorter axles etc. Just smack them on.

One dude on here said that 195/40-17 all around is the best if you want to go low. And i want to go low Smile Can anyone confirm this? Or maybe post a pick of their ride with 17 inch on and this tire size.

Thanks for all help Smile
chizucc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

the search function is your friend:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=552731&highlight=17x7
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

Yes i have looked at that thread 100 times.

But the one there uses short axles and spacers with the radar rim and 205 front and 215 rear tires. With a type 1 axles and 1/2 inch spacers i have no clue what the difference is from original width.

Is the squareback and notchback the same in terms of fender size?

If so im going to go for 195/40 as that guy in that thread says and hope it wont rub too bad... Smile
jokke1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

I use 185/35-17 with my Raider 7X17 on my Notch
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

Could you post a pic please?
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

I'm working with same sort of thing, I have 4 like new 235/45-17s I have thinking about putting on my 73 squareback on 17x7 wheels with a 40mm offset . I wonder if that is to much tire. That said I'm not beyond some wheel opening work a mild fender flare
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

nothing this crazy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

but more like this

Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

tdrrally wrote:
I'm working with same sort of thing, I have 4 like new 235/45-17s I have thinking about putting on my 73 squareback on 17x7 wheels with a 40mm offset . I wonder if that is to much tire. That said I'm not beyond some wheel opening work a mild fender flare

The street tires on the rear of my car are on 40ET wheels and I widened the rear 3" on each side to accommodate them. But I also have Porsche rear suspension which added something like 25mm each side (I can't honestly remember) so it's probably rather apples to oranges.

17x8 40ET w/ 944 rear suspension stock fenders (inner wheel very close to the spring plate):

With 25mm spacers and plenty of room around the spring plate:

After stretching 3" each side VS a stock '71:

Since I used 25mm spacers to set-up the car, I can fit up to a 17x9 40ET 255/40R17 race tires with the spacers and still have plenty of room between the tire and the spring plates.

The bottom line is that there is no one solid answer. Since you're planning a 40ET, that will push the outer lip of the rim outward and cause you problems. If you ran a 17x7 55ET wheel like the early Boxster twist wheels (two pairs of fronts only) on a stock body car, they fit with no modifications at all. Anything with a 40ET and 7" width will cause you to either widen the fenders some or narrow the suspension some. "It's a pimp game" LOL!! Laughing

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

I like it, have you ever checked your mpg with that set up?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

tdrrally wrote:
have you ever checked your mpg with that set up?

LOL - I would love to see that data Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

Nate M. don't get me wrong you t3 inspires me on my build. i mean how much has he wider tires effected the mpg and performance, wide tire is more resistance that is needed in a cornering.

i did not mean to hyjack the thread
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

I just thought it was funny. I don't think this is his regular driver, it's an auto-x car. You can pretty much throw MPG out the door...

Or maybe you wanted MPG of his Bonneville run?
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

I'm working on a daily driver with a 60 round trip so I'm looking for fun and affordable with good looks I want it all lol
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

Im gonna testfit 195/40 late next week. (Since ive already bought the tires)

Will post a pic of my ride then. But im afraid i need 195/40 rear and 185/35 front. Or all around 185/35. We will see!
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

tdrrally wrote:
I like it, have you ever checked your mpg with that set up?

LOL!! Surely you jest sir. . . Laughing

Actually, I did with both the 2056cc motor and the 2316cc race motor. When I first got my MS system running and drive-able (plenum based MS2 w/ EDIS), Mario and I did only a good "seat of the pants" tune on the street. Then over the next few months I tweaked the cruise areas of the fuel and ignition MAPs. I typically got about 24-25mpg in city driving and 27-28mpg hwy (typically cruising around 80mph). When I moved to the 235/40R17 from the 205/60R15s, I didn't notice an appreciable MPG drop.

With the 2316cc (it's street-able race motor) in it's current configuration with a dyno tune for max power and nothing else, if I keep my foot out of it (possible but not likely for long Wink ), it gets around Wink 23mpg city and about 24-25mpg hwy. Conversely, on the track at Pacific raceway in 3 20 minute sessions running mostly WOT, I can burn through about 10-12 gallons of premium. It's pretty shocking until you consider I'm running WOT any moment the brakes are not being pressed and the motor operates in the 5.5-6.5K RPM range the entire time. I would estimate somewhere around 6-8mpg on the track, but really who cares. Wink

The key thing though is that I didn't really notice a big change in fuel economy when I moved from my 205s to the 235s. Oil weight and tire pressure play a big part in the fuel mileage equation, probably more than tire width alone.

Nate M.

Squarsche build

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I just thought it was funny. I don't think this is his regular driver, it's an auto-x car. You can pretty much throw MPG out the door...

You'd be surprised how much my car is driven throughout the year. I logged about 7K last year with it which is more than most here do in their T3s. I typically only run the big motor Spring to Fall and put in the small motor for Fall/Winter, because it has heat (the wife hates it cold).

Nate M.

Squarsche build

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:
Erik G wrote:

You'd be surprised how much my car is driven throughout the year. I logged about 7K last year with it which is more than most here do in their T3s. I typically only run the big motor Spring to Fall and put in the small motor for Fall/Winter, because it has heat (the wife hates it cold).

that's awesome. that is more that I put on my daily and my fun car combined (I live 2 miles from work... I have to get out and do a 30 mile drive regularly to just not ruin cars from short drive cycles)
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

now i want to see a 17x7 et40 on a stock car more
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

My car arrives on thursday. Will test fit on friday hopefully!

I Will update here.
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 7x17 et40 on stock 64 Notchback. The right tire size? Reply with quote

i have 15x6s 40et with 195/65-15s on my 73 standard beetle, with the suspension at full travel (on jack stands) the tire rubs the trailing arm in the front, i added a 12mm spacer it still rubs but not as bad. i will check it today at ride height, this may be an issue on a T3 as well
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: