Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought a 64 basket case
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

$800 from a woman at work. Her son in law has been storing it in her garage for a while, and agreed to let her sell it.

The boxes are full of new parts. The crank and cam are wrapped from the machinist, all the new bearings and everything, the brakes were completely re-done, and the pan is all redone! Pics!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The case is a 1200 case, and doesn't appear to have been cut for bigger jugs. So I'll drop the case off at Rimco to have it inspected and line bored when I pick this up. She's going to let me keep the car there in her garage as long as I like, so I can arrange a place for it at my mother in law's.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

thats no basket case....

I will trade you my '64 if you want a shiessewagen of a basket case
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

That's NOT a basket case! Looks like a good project....what are your plans for it?

Now, THIS is a basket case! Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1787909
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Whoops, forgot the cylinder head pics:

DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
That's NOT a basket case! Looks like a good project....what are your plans for it?

Now, THIS is a basket case! Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1787909

Shocked
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

For now, I'll bring the boxes of parts home and once I get the case done, build that in my garage. The car itself will end up in my mother in law's garage (I can't fit a car in mine with the woodworking stuff).

My daughter and I are going to do this together, and it'll ultimately be hers. She's 13 now so we have time.

Going to keep it mostly stock. To start with at least, I'll keep the 1200 and run it that way. Ultimately I'd like a mild 1776 with a better geared trans, but that's far in the future. The 1200 is adequate and damn near bulletproof.

My daughter is looking at pics of bugs online trying to decide what color to do it in. "Pearl white" I said. Since that was the original color. "Ugh, daaaad..." Hahahaha
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Nice looking heads, look like rebuilt heads that have not been run yet. Man you got to clean up that case first thing and get some oil on it to stop that Oxidation! It's being eaten before our very eyes. If it's still good it's got some added value there with those cylinder stud inserts. Pearl White, "YES"!

Last edited by Danwvw on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

Looks like those heads have had the long rocker arm studs replaced with the threaded inserts. Better in the long run since those long studs were prone to breaking or working loose. My 40 hp still has them, but I've got some F heads ready to go in when it's time to rebuild.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Hi.
I'm not sure how Rimco is doing nowadays as there were some issues with them awhile back.
But, why not have cam bearings installed as this will quiet the valve train down because the cam is not moving around, side to side.
Bill.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Nice find! Holy cow, you stole that for $800. That is a big Lego model waiting to be put together. I'm green with envy. Keep us posted.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi.
I'm not sure how Rimco is doing nowadays as there were some issues with them awhile back.
But, why not have cam bearings installed as this will quiet the valve train down because the cam is not moving around, side to side.
Bill.

Rimco's the only one I know of. Is there better in OC?

And what do you mean by cam bearings? Should this case not use them normally?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Stock on a 1200 is no cam bearings, they just run on faces on the case.

I think the 1966 1300cc had the first bearing shells ?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

I just finished project that came to me with a totally rebuilt pan....saved me from working with all that rust and dirt ...i'll probably never buy another that isn't done first....
enjoy your restored pan Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Stock on a 1200 is no cam bearings, they just run on faces on the case.

I think the 1966 1300cc had the first bearing shells ?

Huh. Never heard of that. I'll check it out.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Yes sir. The 1200/40hp and probably everything prior to that did not have cam bearings. The cam rode directly on the bore of the case and high mileage engines saw lots of issues because of this. The VWoA engine exchange program would install cam bearings on their factory long blocks.
It is my understanding it is a specific boring bar for this procedure and Rimco may be one of the only dedicated VW machine shops around who possess this. I will try and call my contacts in the morning.
Maybe I'm internet blonde but it seems Rimco doesn't even list their services and prices for us. You do know they aren't down on Dyer Rd but up in LA county, Santa Fe Springs I believe.
Hope this helps, Bill.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Great timing for your daughter. Let her have her pick of year-appropriate colors. If she doesn't like white and you insist on it- she will not be interested in it further.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Yes sir. The 1200/40hp and probably everything prior to that did not have cam bearings. The cam rode directly on the bore of the case and high mileage engines saw lots of issues because of this. The VWoA engine exchange program would install cam bearings on their factory long blocks.
It is my understanding it is a specific boring bar for this procedure and Rimco may be one of the only dedicated VW machine shops around who possess this. I will try and call my contacts in the morning.
Maybe I'm internet blonde but it seems Rimco doesn't even list their services and prices for us. You do know they aren't down on Dyer Rd but up in LA county, Santa Fe Springs I believe.
Hope this helps, Bill.

I didn't know they had moved. Sigh. I remember taking the city bus to pick up the machined parts from there back in the 80's for my 68 bus. Carried home the crank, cam, and lifters in a crappy thin duffel bag. That was painful.

Laughing
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Great timing for your daughter. Let her have her pick of year-appropriate colors. If she doesn't like white and you insist on it- she will not be interested in it further.

Yeah, we'll paint it whatever colors she wants.

She likes the two-tone look on the busses (the Guac was green/white) and wants to do the same to the bug. Color bottom, white top. Haven't found any pics of that combo, and I'm figuring it's because it looks like crap. So I'm trying to steer her either to one of the correct colors, or at least white bottom, color top if she wants two tone.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Oh, and one thing I will *NOT* tolerate... Matte black. No. Just no. But she really likes it.

I have a matte black bike. She has a matte blue bike. That's enough.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
rockerarm wrote:
Hope this helps, Bill.

I didn't know they had moved. Sigh. I remember taking the city bus to pick up the machined parts from there back in the 80's for my 68 bus. Carried home the crank, cam, and lifters in a crappy thin duffel bag. That was painful.

Laughing

Then again, I remember the Empi showroom on La Palma in Anaheim. EVERYTHING SHOULD ALWAYS STAY THE SAME! GET OFF MY LAWN!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: