Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought a 64 basket case
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Oh, and one thing I will *NOT* tolerate... Matte black. No. Just no. But she really likes it.

I have a matte black bike. She has a matte blue bike. That's enough.

We once again find ourselves in complete agreement. If she wants that so badly- get her a Charbroil BBQ. Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Nice project! Your story sounds a little familiar. Smile
With my son ( he's 8 ) I've been using our build as an opportunity to teach him about originality and value. He initially wanted everything to be green and blue (his favorite colors), but we talked about how it came from the factory and that it's a bit of a special model. I just presented the information to him and he came to me saying he wanted to bring it back to original. Now he won't even let me paint over an original p/n paint stamp on the beam. Very Happy

Obviously y'alls (her) decision, having fun and bonding over the build is top priority. Flat black only looks good with red wheels though. Razz

And Pearl White rules! Very Happy

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Can't find my old Muir book. It's somewhere but I've moved 3 times since I used it last so who knows...

Found this on Amazon for $20 or so, and it's a spiral bound model, so I don't have to drill and cut the binding on the newer ones.

Now SharkDaughter can start off her adventure right. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Well, couldn't get SharkDaughter to go for a factory color. Instead she picked a 3-stage pearl.

I've never sprayed anything like that, so I ordered a small kit to play with. Maybe do a bike frame and a helmet or something just to work on technique and see what it looks like in person.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

So I finally went and emptied out the bug. (Yeah yeah, but some of us have lives ya know!)

A good portion of what was in the bug had nothing to do with the bug. Just garbage stored there. So there's way less than I had thought. And two of the boxes just had the empty brake parts boxes or mangled parts.

That's what was actually for the bug.

So now I have some decisions to make. LOTS of stuff is missing. It looks like there's no steering forward of the column, no tinwork for the engine other than a couple new cylinder head covers, no charging system, no intake at all, etc.

The new heads and new P&C set along with crank and cam have me thinking I still want to do the 1200. But it's going to be quite a bit more involved if I do since stuff for the 1200 is a little harder to find. Not impossible, but still.

Plus, this is going to end up being way more money than I anticipated, so it will be a much slower process than we had hoped. Oh well...
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
rcroane wrote:
That's NOT a basket case! Looks like a good project....what are your plans for it?

Now, THIS is a basket case! Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1787909

Shocked

Wah!? Shocked
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

[quote="rockerarm" You do know they aren't down on Dyer Rd but up in LA county, Santa Fe Springs I believe.
Hope this helps, Bill.[/quote]

Correction here, Rimco moved back into Orange County, buying the infamous FAT Performance shop on Chase, city of Orange.
I think they want your business Very Happy
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
[quote="rockerarm" You do know they aren't down on Dyer Rd but up in LA county, Santa Fe Springs I believe.
Hope this helps, Bill.

Correction here, Rimco moved back into Orange County, buying the infamous FAT Performance shop on Chase, city of Orange.
I think they want your business Very Happy[/quote]

Haha, yeah. one of the owners here has a FAT engine in his race Baja, and was nervous about Rimco buying them. lol!
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Never heard of this rebuilder. Doesn't mean anything of course, but...

That's who rebuilt the heads.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Found plates issued in 63 in one of those boxes. And I'm having a hard time with this since the chassis vin says it was built in March 64.

I wish they'd hurry up and find the title so I can figure out if these are the right plates.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Finally did an inventory of all the stuff that came with the car. Unfortunately there is a LOT missing. Some highlights:

Engine:
-Cooling tin: Only have the cylinder head tin. Need EVERYTHING else.
-Charging system from the stand on up
-Exhaust: Everything

Body:
-ALL glass. There's nothing. Strangely, there's a box of seals.
-Wing windows and frames.
-Entire window mechanisms
-Door handles, latches, etc
-Exterior brightwork trim
-Running boards
-Hood and rear hatch mechanisms: Everything
-Headlight housings and everything
-Heater channel doors (found one)

Misc:
-Speedo
-Fuel gauge
-Fusebox and wiring harnesses
-Brake MC and reservoir
-Washer tank
-Wiper arms (found the motor)
-Steering column mounting bracket

I'm sure there's lots more I don't have, but this is my first run at a checklist .
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Case is at Rimco. Smile

It's been machined, but the oxidation on the case half mating surfaces is concerning, so they're gonna clean it and inspect. Hopefully it won't need to be cut to get a good seal.
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Found plates issued in 63 in one of those boxes. And I'm having a hard time with this since the chassis vin says it was built in March 64.

I wish they'd hurry up and find the title so I can figure out if these are the right plates.

Built in March '64 - then imported to the US would mean a few months later so it would probably be a big stretch
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

basket case = mix matched parts and no TITLE.. you got a partially restored vw for cheap.. basket case would be the person that sold it to you so cheap..
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

hehe, definitely cheap. They believe they have the title, but they moved to TX so it's in a box somewhere. Last time it was registered was 1983, so I doubt the DMV has any record. Title will make the whole thing MUCH easier.

Got the case back from Rimco yesterday. It had been machined already, including cutting the case for cam bearings. They inspected and said it's good to go, aside from hitting with a wire brush to clean up oxidation.

WOOT!
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
hehe, definitely cheap. They believe they have the title, but they moved to TX so it's in a box somewhere. Last time it was registered was 1983, so I doubt the DMV has any record. Title will make the whole thing MUCH easier.

Got the case back from Rimco yesterday. It had been machined already, including cutting the case for cam bearings. They inspected and said it's good to go, aside from hitting with a wire brush to clean up oxidation.

WOOT!

In florida.. you can go to DMV with the previous owner.. and 80 dollars they will issue another tittle.. so while you are there.. you get it transferred.. I think the last time I had to do this .. 183 dollars out the door with tittle in my name.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Previous owner is in TX. I'm in SoCal. Sad

I know there are ways, but the actual title will make life MUCH easier.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Just an update. Got the birth certificate finally!

Still don't have the title though, so no progress has been made on the car. Sad It's ok, we haven't really had much time lately. Lots of family crap, plus SharkDaughter's been working a lot.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

Just an update. After 2 years it's still RIGHT FRIGGIN THERE.

The only thing I've done is built the 1835 for it. It's pushing my Baja while I rebuild the 2180.

Sigh... I hate title BS.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 64 basket case Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:

Sigh... I hate title BS.

But they're so easy to get, just look at any ad for a car without a title. Rolling Eyes

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: