Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 gearbox
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amzoch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: 1960 gearbox Reply with quote

Hello my friends. I have a 1960, it has the original gearbox 1200, but I have a 1600ccm engine with engine code as106236, this 1200 gearbox and engine is not quite sync Smile the gearbox can I put on this that goes right in and get full utilization of engine and transmission?

Thanks for all your help, hilden a novice from Norway
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 gearbox Reply with quote

Not sure what you are asking.

You can install a 1600 cc engine into a split case transaxle. You will need to trim the rear engine tin to fit in with the body seal.
Amzoch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 gearbox Reply with quote

hehe sorry bad English, and Google translate :p

In my 60 i have orginal gearbox from a 1200ccm engien.. But now i have a 1600ccm engien,. and still the gearbox from 1200ccm

the first gear dont sync right,. så i need a better gearbox.

I know i can use 1300as gearbox. is that the only one thats fits without big rebuilt to make it fit?

and make my car work as it shall. all is synct.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 gearbox Reply with quote

Amzoch wrote:
hehe sorry bad English, and Google translate :p

In my 60 i have orginal gearbox from a 1200ccm engien.. But now i have a 1600ccm engien,. and still the gearbox from 1200ccm

the first gear dont sync right,. så i need a better gearbox.

I know i can use 1300as gearbox. is that the only one thats fits without big rebuilt to make it fit?

and make my car work as it shall. all is synct.

No other gearbox fits a '60 without some extra effort. That was a 1 year only front mount, 1 year only nose cone, and a 1 year only case for the early transaxle. The usual swap to put in a later box seems (based on pictures I've seen here) put the engine at the wrong angle and leave the tail pipes low.

The transaxle in your car is not supposed to have a syncro in 1st gear. Don't shift into that gear while in motion. Gearing wise, the stock '60 transaxle has gearing very close to the early 1500 Bugs. It is not as strong, but so long as your engine is near stock it should work just fine.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 gearbox Reply with quote

Split Case 1960 box does NOT have synchro to 1st.
Is that what you are asking?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amzoch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 gearbox Reply with quote

Thanks.. Yes Evfun did answered, it is so that 1300as gearbox do not fit directly!did i understood it right? , what must I do to get it to work, a stock 1600ccm engine yes,

someone who has done this before? switched to a stronger gearbox for larger engine? some ?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 gearbox Reply with quote

Maybe German will be easier?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

More at:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 gearbox Reply with quote

Here is same info from the Bus Owner's Manual MAR56 in Norwegian:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 gearbox Reply with quote

If you want a transaxle that has a synchromesh first gear you need to use the later tunnel swing axle transaxle and Bus nose cone.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=655154&highlight=tunnel+transaxle+1960
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 gearbox Reply with quote

This seems to be the problem with using the Bus nose cone to install a later transaxle in a 1960 Bug. That one year has a different front mount, different nose cone, and even a different transaxle case than other years. It seems that the swap puts the engine too low. There are other threads where this comes up too.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 gearbox Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
This seems to be the problem with using the Bus nose cone to install a later transaxle in a 1960 Bug. That one year has a different front mount, different nose cone, and even a different transaxle case than other years. It seems that the swap puts the engine too low. There are other threads where this comes up too.

1960 only you use the 1960 only front mount,1960-1967 bus nose cone,bus hockey stick.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
Amzoch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 gearbox Reply with quote

Do you have link to this two parts
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 gearbox Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
EVfun wrote:

1960 only you use the 1960 only front mount,1960-1967 bus nose cone,bus hockey stick.

If you follow my link above you can see that is what they tried. The '60 mount grows strait out of the torsion housing (a pair of studs.)

Here is an explanation why the Bus nose cone trick that works for 1959 down doesn't work the same for the '60. You can see in the images of the 3 transaxles next to each other how the '60 mount is higher on the transaxle compared to the '59. So if you put a Bus nose cone on the late transaxle, to put the mount in the same position as the 1959 and earlier transaxle, it will be in the wrong place for a '60.
Amzoch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 gearbox Reply with quote

i think im gonna weld this on http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111701173c
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: