Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Muffler part name
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Muffler part name Reply with quote

With my heater boxes back on, I'm relooking at the poor fitment of the left heater plenum-like thingy on this Dansk muffler.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've read several posts about these Dansk/JP mufflers and one fix was to put on OG plenums from the prior muffler. However, in my case that was long gone. So I want to put a WTB ad for this thingy and wondering what the correct name for it would be.

Thanks!
PS: If you have an OG one avail, please PM me.

Byas

Last edited by bnam on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

Where did you get that clamp??

Dump it and get a real VW one.

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

Whatever it is called, It is only sheet metal. You can bend/twist it to make it fit better ... or at least that's what I always do.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

Personally have called them heater muffler bubbles. Not a part that is separately described in the parts manual. Just have good images of what you are looking for in the ad.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Whatever it is called, It is only sheet metal. You can bend/twist it to make it fit better ... or at least that's what I always do.

Have had a few cheap mufflers that required two or so hours of cutting and welding so the tubes that go up through the rear tin would work properly.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

Yes, on the lookout for anOG clamp as well. Or failing that - a new repro.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
With my heater boxes back on, I'm relooking at the poor fitment of the left heater plenum-like thingy on this Dansk muffler.

Been there done that!! Exact same issue with the Dansk:

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

I call the muffler kidneys. Some people remove their old kidneys and reattach them to those Dansk mufflers. The fresh air hoses are also hard to line up on some.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

Simple repair...open a can of beans, eat the beans now cut the can with your tin snips, don't have tin snips go get some. Put cut can around the gap and then ad the clamp...problem solved.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

What he said , Frozen orange juice cans were click and clacks prefered tin stock for exhaust repair .
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

Maybe a piece of sheet metal from your local home improvement store.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

Yes, have back up bandaid solutions lined up. But would really like to get a nice OG connecting chamber and clamp.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

I've heard them called pre-heater boxes. I'd like to have a set to try attaching to my header. Cool
Could you maybe stick a large, close-fitting socket into the lower pipe and pry it into better alignment with the heater box? Big sockets are usually cheap at the pawn shop if you don't have one.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

I like the click and clack idea. I mean the rigged repair is done you will have heat till you really get after the repair.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
I like the click and clack idea. I mean the rigged repair is done you will have heat till you really get after the repair.

Click and Clack, yes. To OP if you don't know those were the Tappet brothers, hosts of a weekly call-in show on cars where green car people would call in and mimic the sound their car was making and have these knuckleheads diagnose it on air. True quality entertainment Laughing
Anyhow, I agree. I used Aluminum tape on one of those in the past. Also, a beer can cut to size, wrapped around the pipe then secured using the stock clamp.
This very question comes up every so often, I recall in an older thread (couple years ago?) someone had sourced a wider clamp, wider even than the OG VW one, that seemed to cover the gap well. Might try looking at a plumbing supply or HVAC shop for something suitable.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

I was thinking of eliminating the sheet metal pre heater and going with these from cip1. It seems like you would get more air going through without that pipe there as an obstruction. Seems a little pricey for me though since I have gas heat.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-255-165-CSP
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
I was thinking of eliminating the sheet metal pre heater and going with these from cip1. It seems like you would get more air going through without that pipe there as an obstruction. Seems a little pricey for me though since I have gas heat.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-255-165-CSP

Those will only work if you are running a header type muffler with the exhaust pipes well out of the way from under the tin holes.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

I realize that, but I figure there's always a way if motivated.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

Loved Click and Clack on Sundays 10am on KXJZ Cap Public radio.

@SBD -- had the same thought and looked at my sockets to see what fits tight.

I can make the current setup work with a bandaid solution. Not worried about that.

I've posted an ad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2025695

and have one response so far -- so fingers crossed.

I've also seen a NOS Ernst muffler for about $200 shipped to India.

Byas
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler part name Reply with quote

This aftermarket clamp is wider than the original German ones, helping to fill the gap between a JP Group muffler and a heater box.

http://www.bughaus.com/heat9.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: