Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40hp intake manifold question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: 40hp intake manifold question Reply with quote

So I've started my rebuild of my 1200 original 40hp engine and decided I'd paint my 701D intake manifold for my 1965 bug. I noticed in the smaller hole lots of what I assume to be carbon. Is that tube supposed to be clear of debris? If you try to blow through it should air be able to go easily? If I blow no air goes in. Is that normal? How do I test it to make sure that's not one of the many problems I'm finding?

Thanks guys

Shawn
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp intake manifold question Reply with quote

Yes that tube should be clear. It provides heat for the intake manifold to keep it from freezing up. Common problem. You may be able to clear it with a piece of stranded cable chucked up in a drill.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp intake manifold question Reply with quote

Dumb question. When you say 'keep it from freezing up' what arecrefering too? And I'm looking for after market and having trouble finding any.

Thanks

Shawn
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp intake manifold question Reply with quote

Poor performance due to carb icing. The evaporation of fuel lowers the air temp and can cause ice on the outside and inside of the carb and intake manifold. Makes the low end stumble and can refuse to let the engine rev. I used to have to pull over off the freeway a few miles after starting my '63 because the carb ice choked the engine off completely on cool damp days.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp intake manifold question Reply with quote

Yes, it should be clear.

There are a bunch of threads on here about clearing it out.
There are 2 in the 58-67 Beetle FAQ at the top of this section

Here is one
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391833
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp intake manifold question Reply with quote

Hi Shawn. The carb icing scenario is a true drivability concern especially for our air-cooled type 1 engines as the carb is so far from the cylinder heads. Car manufacturers have used a couple of ideas to control this thru intake manifold heating and warmer air intake via the pre-heat tube. It is explained here on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor_icing

The icing idea is lessened with fuel injection cars as the gas is injected right behind the intake valve, or into the chamber.

Here is another clean up method to research.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=666905&highlight=

Hope this helps, Bill.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp intake manifold question Reply with quote

note the numbers on the manifold unique to certain production runs. It would be nice to maintain the correct numbered manifold if at at possible, for originality concerns.

one guy has a bussiness rebuilding manifold, clears them out and paints them like new. he has had want ads for his service, check out want ads.

of clean out our own, if not too clogged it can be done. a blast of high pressure sand can blast it out sometimes, or a cable on a drill motor like a rotorouter sewer snake but use care, the tube walls are thin, often thinned more by corrosion, and the cable might punch thru the thin spots, specially near the bends.

good luck

ps if you drive in a dry climate, the manifold heat will not be missed as much as if in a cold wet climate. mine was clogged up for years, but engine ran ok, dry warm climate.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp intake manifold question Reply with quote

"one guy has a business rebuilding manifold, clears them out and paints them like new. he has had want ads for his service, check out want ads"

Be sure to get the same part # for your 40hp, it will end with A or D if you can't find one I may have one or can refurb yours.

PM me
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: