Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

Moderators, please let me know if I should withdraw this post and place it as a classified ad. I am not sure which way to go.

My neighbor, a long time VW enthusiast who once worked with Dr. Gerhard Oettinger back in the late 50s, gave me an oil strainer gasket that has been in his tool box for at least 50 or 60 yrs. It may even be from his days working at Okrasa in Germany, he can't recall. I imagine it is OE and may be of value to someone trying to do a 100 point restoration. Please help me Identify it so I don't mislead anyone or waste their time. The edges have a bur on one side from when it was pressed/cut. I am giving the Ghia community first shot at the gasket since this is my home on The Samba.

This is my way of giving back to the community that has already given me more than I can repay.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

... good intentions, but I'd say, those are very common and would have to be changed. So, an original one, wouldn't last long....
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... good intentions, but I'd say, those are very common and would have to be changed. So, an original one, wouldn't last long....

Normally that would be true, but don't you think that there's probably somebody somewhere doing a 100 point concours restoration that plans to never run the engine long enough to actually make an oil change necessary.
It will no doubt be difficult enough for them to find enough NOS cans of engine oil to fill the crankcase the first time, let alone enough to actually perform an oil change. Smile

A person like that will be able to sleep much better at night knowing that his paper oil strainer gasket is actually a Genuine NOS part.

If that isn't true yet, it no doubt will be true at some point in the future once the Karmann Ghia values go the way of Porsche 356 values.

Wink
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

I am going to leave this thread in place because it is or could be entertaining.

Opinion:
It doesn't look any different to me than the gaskets you buy now.
It has no markings on it to indicate anything special.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Opinion:
It doesn't look any different to me than the gaskets you buy now.
It has no markings on it to indicate anything special.

Both valid points, but it could have that dank NOS smell to it. Very Happy
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

I like the idea, it is the thought that counts Evil_Fiz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

Normally that would be true, but don't you think that there's probably somebody somewhere doing a 100 point concours restoration that plans to never run the engine long enough to actually make an oil change necessary.
It will no doubt be difficult enough for them to find enough NOS cans of engine oil to fill the crankcase the first time, let alone enough to actually perform an oil change. Smile

A person like that will be able to sleep much better at night knowing that his paper oil strainer gasket is actually a Genuine NOS part.

If that isn't true yet, it no doubt will be true at some point in the future once the Karmann Ghia values go the way of Porsche 356 values.

Wink

It's your lucky day, Daryl.
I just so happen to have 2 cases of old school Castrol Racing R (SAE 30) resting in my basement just waiting for such a situation to arise.
You haven't lived until you've smelled that in a warm 356. (although an Okrasa would probably be just as good.) Very Happy
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
I imagine it is OE and may be of value to someone trying to do a 100 point restoration.

I used to have a friend in LA who had a couple of concours-grade '50's TBirds... And I was astonished to hear what they deducted points for... Maybe the wrong-shape burr on the side is enough to lose that critical point in the scoring? Wow... Don't see how someone can pass this up, on their quest for the "ultimate trailer queen VW"... (Except I don't think I've ever seen a trailer queen A/C VW at a show - except for the broken-down ones for sale, that don't run on their own power.)

Come to think of it, when another friend in LA heard we got a Ghia, he sent us some gasket kits he'd had sitting in his garage since he sold his bug in the 1970's... To think they'd be worth big bucks, and we probably did something silly with them - like putting them on the oil strainer... Well, one relief... With a modified Ghia, we wouldn't have made it very far in the concours world anyway...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

Seriously though... I don't think original oil change gasket sets are worth anything.

Otherwise, I'M RICH!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

yeah, it was good intentions but they're still a dollar part.
And btw, how could a concourse judge see it?
EB, you are rich, kind and generous too.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
And btw, how could a concourse judge see it?

If they can check for dust on top of a muffler with a white glove... (Umm, yeah, apparently they did, at least in this guy's competitions.) Why not squint into the space around the screen with a magnifying glass?

Ok, maybe that would be harder than the white glove on a muffler...

(The main thing I learned from the friend with the TBirds was... Never lend a car you value, to a movie studio...)

Absolutely agree with the latter sentiment.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

Smile
I'll let one go if anyone is doing a 100% concourse restoration and is super worried.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

e&m_ghia wrote:
Evil_Fiz wrote:
I imagine it is OE and may be of value to someone trying to do a 100 point restoration.

I used to have a friend in LA who had a couple of concours-grade '50's TBirds... And I was astonished to hear what they deducted points for... Maybe the wrong-shape burr on the side is enough to lose that critical point in the scoring? Wow... Don't see how someone can pass this up, on their quest for the "ultimate trailer queen VW"... (Except I don't think I've ever seen a trailer queen A/C VW at a show - except for the broken-down ones for sale, that don't run on their own power.)

Come to think of it, when another friend in LA heard we got a Ghia, he sent us some gasket kits he'd had sitting in his garage since he sold his bug in the 1970's... To think they'd be worth big bucks, and we probably did something silly with them - like putting them on the oil strainer... Well, one relief... With a modified Ghia, we wouldn't have made it very far in the concours world anyway...

I take it then that you have never had the pleasure of seeing the Rodbuster custom Karmann Ghia, have you? Smile
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

Since this thread has evolved into something new and interesting, perhaps we should change the title to "Silly S#1T neurotic car show judges fixate on" and make it similar to the "Funniest question about your Ghia?" thread.

As for the gasket, I am going to frame it along with the snake skin I found in the rocker cavity and hang it in my office as fun reminders of my restoration project.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:

........As for the gasket, I am going to frame it ....................

Oh, great.
Now what am I supposed to do with all of that O.G. oil I've been savin' all these years?
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE OE (I Think) oil strainer gasket looking for a home. Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Now what am I supposed to do with all of that O.G. oil I've been savin' all these years?
Frame it?
Laughing

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: