Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squareback Rack
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joliver5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Squareback Rack Reply with quote

So I have a 73 square and I want a roof rack for it but I mean most on here and stuff are rather pricey. There are always the pictures of ones with like Older thule ones but I am just wondering which model thule it is. If anyone knows I was thinking of a thule one or maybe a yakima one. Or if anyone has one to sell for fairly cheap I am all ears.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Squareback Rack Reply with quote

Roof racks are pretty pricey. I would place a WTB ad in the classified section. You'll have better luck.

Edit: Looks like you've already done the WTB ad.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback Rack Reply with quote

yeah, even the thule or yakima style that clamp on to rain gutters are getting pricey. People want them for their 80's and 90's euro cars. for those, check the trift stores, flea markets, and garage sales regularly. All makes car swap meets too
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback Rack Reply with quote

with a welder, a tubing bender, and some 1/2" EMT you can build your own.

the clamps can be bought on-line, i stole the ones off my thule.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Joliver5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback Rack Reply with quote

Thanks y'all for the replies. I was able to find a good thule rack on craigslist for 30 bucks and it has good character in my eyes. and I got a custom german license plate which will be the namesake for my car. The JPZ.III and if you understand it I respect you.
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Squareback Rack Reply with quote

W1K1, I really like what you've done there and intend to copy it, if not 5x over to see what the market is like. Would you mind sharing the online source for those roof rail latches? I have the the whole roof of a squareback sitting in my garage and I was not sure what to do with it. A template/buck for manufacturing a few roof cages would be ideal. What's the consensus as to who likes all pipes vs wood slats? I know the bad slat channels get whistly, but what if you had a choice of oak or maple slats? black powder coat vs chromed? fake aluminum, real aluminum or patina green copper? SO many choices!

Again, W1K1 nice rack!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Squareback Rack Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
with a welder, a tubing bender, and some 1/2" EMT you can build your own.

the clamps can be bought on-line, i stole the ones off my thule.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Great shot. Your square looks so crisp and clean Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: