Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering Buggy and fixing camber
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Lowering Buggy and fixing camber Reply with quote

So I really want to drop the front and rear of this buggy down. It is a swingaxle/link-king pin. It is going to be a street car pretty much most of the time.

I also need to get rid of the camber in the back. I already plan on getting rid of the cool overs and searching for the best replacement. Any suggestions?

To drop the front should I get dropped spindles, weld in front end adjusters or both?

What about for the rear. I do have adjustable spring plates but I am not sure how low that will get it.

When you adjust the torsion bars are you affecting the ride quality and the height? How does that work? How much lower can I get it adjusting the torsion bars and if I do that will it affect the ride?

After it is dropped what shocks should I get for the front and back?

Where should I start and what should I purchase?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering Buggy and fixing camber Reply with quote

For the front:

Go with dropped spindles AND adjusters in the beam. The spindles will widen the front track about 5/8" per side so if you're going to buy a beam with adjusters, you may want a 2" narrowed beam to help offset that.

Also for the front you'll want to reduce the torsion leaves in the beam. This will greatly improve ride quality. There's lots of info on that in this forum.

For shocks, go with simple oil filled shocks.

For the rear:

Adjustable spring plates are perfect and simple to use. Lots of info on the various forums here at The Samba.

You have a swingaxle car so be aware that camber angle (leaning in/out of wheels) is a function of ride height. If the car is lowered, the top of the wheels will lean in and if the car is raised, the top of the wheels will lean out. If rear suspension is set to stock height, the wheels will be straight up and down (0* camber).

If you wish to lower the buggy in the rear but NOT have much camber, you'll have to raise the transmission/engine in relation to the chassis. Many sellers offer raised transmission mounts for this purpose.

For shocks, you can go with simple oil shocks, however if you're going to build a big engine, do some racing or aggressive driving you may want a better shock.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering Buggy and fixing camber Reply with quote

Might want to wait until the car is complete, all the extra stuff you add will add weight and bring the car down some.
If you adjust it now you might have to adjust it again once it has all the weight added.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering Buggy and fixing camber Reply with quote

Dont you have another thread going? Your car looks familiar
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering Buggy and fixing camber Reply with quote

How much lower can you adjust the front if you install the weld in adjusters?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering Buggy and fixing camber Reply with quote

You can lower the front down until the fenders are laying on the tires if you want. Not a great idea but it can be done.

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering Buggy and fixing camber Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Dont you have another thread going? Your car looks familiar

The OP has seperate threads on here re decambering, spring plates, shock absorbers and others, plus similar posts on Facebook groups.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering Buggy and fixing camber Reply with quote

To the original poster, Buzz,

I just counted 7 new threads on this first page that you've started. 6 are on topics best answered in the Beetle forums as they are not buggy specific. The one you started about buggy shocks is in the right place, but if you'd done a search you'd have likely found 50-100 threads already discussing that topic on this forum, so the topic you started has been covered and covered again and better elsewhere.

As I mentioned, you'll get a lot more out of a search in the appropriate forum than you will by starting new threads. There is a wealth of information right here, that you aren't utilizing if you aren't using this tool. Everyone here is happy to help. My point is that it is likely that they already have. Use your search tool, you'll get more out of it than the method you are currently using.

As always, good luck on your project.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering Buggy and fixing camber Reply with quote

I think there's so much info here at The Samba that it's over whelming for a new person.

There should be a video tutorial on how to use SEARCH.

To Buzz, if you need help with search let me know and I can try and talk you through it on the phone or something.

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering Buggy and fixing camber Reply with quote

Lo Cash,

Agreed. I usually include a search that I've already done for the new posters to get them started. I did that for this guy on one of his other threads on this topic to help him down that road.

I think we can do a disservice to some of the new posters by not having them take a look at the wealth of knowledge accumulated in forums other than this one...I know its a lot, but it seems that we don't really fully answer a lot of these type of questions on a new post here because, as regular users and contributors, we know it is likely covered in greater detail elsewhere. As a result, the answers in this forum on Beetle pan/running gear issues are usually pretty terse and also presume knowledge that the new posters often don't likely have.

I hope this explanation helps the original poster understand why its a good idea to poke around a bit. Sometimes what separates you from the information you need is a lack of knowledge of the right terminology...everyone here can help with that too.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering Buggy and fixing camber Reply with quote

Totally agree with that - even though I use search a lot, there are times where I dont know the right question to ask without ending up with 7,841 results....Can be a challenge but running multiple simialr threads can be really confusing.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: