Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super Beetle Engine Replacement and Stuff
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanPorges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Super Beetle Engine Replacement and Stuff Reply with quote

I have rounded down my options for the motor and other changes down in my 77 Super Beetle and now have to figure out a couple of final decisions. I am going to go with either a 1699 Mild Stroker from Precision Machine out in California or a locally built 1835 or 1904 from Dana Johnson here in MA. Dana is going to check out my stock motor to see we can use the case as it is original to the car and I would like to have the matching numbers even if not "stock".

Any concerns with using my existing case as a staring point?
Is there a strong argument to be made for an all new build vs boring and stroking my original case?

Any recommendations for fuel pumps and fuel line changes to be made based on the change to carbs, specifically if i go with a dual carb vs single carb setup?

Anyone have specific performance exhausts they recommend for a late model FI car? I was hoping to use the factory cutout in the rear skirt and not have to have it look modified from the outside. I saw that Vintage Speed makes one, anyone try it? Can I retain factory heat with a performance exhaust? Anyone have links to performance heater boxes?

Am I better off restoring/cleaning/etc my factory fuel tank or are some of the aftermarket ones a worthwhile bet?

Thanks in advance!
DanPorges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Replacement and Stuff Reply with quote

I was really hoping for some responses, but maybe I should clarify my questions:

Any concerns or risk to using a stock FI case to build a stroker?

Recommendations for electric fuel pumps and regulators for dual carb setups?

Are their "performance" heater boxes available that would fit a Super Beetle?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Replacement and Stuff Reply with quote

Not sure why I would bother with a 1699 stroker...If having an engine and you want more peformance, increase the displacement as well.

I have a 77 in the shop right now that I have done a mild upgrade to. Replaced the stock heater boxes etc with earlier style with a 1 3/8" header. You do not need big tubes unless you are racing or are getting around 2 liters or so. I run stock heater boxes on all of our cars except the dune buggy. And pay attention - 1 3/8" header is all you need unless really big or racing. You may need to have your muffler custom made to exit where you want. NOt aware of any.

Not aware of any problems using the FI case except you have to use electric fuel pump.

While on that subject - I have used Facet pumps. You want as low a pressure are you can find. I think thats around 3-5. Pressure regulators. The Holley is fine. And (OMG your car may explode) the Empi one seems to work fine. Theres others out there. You want to be able to set the pressure around 2-3 lbs.

I like dual carbs myself - have them on several o our own and installed on quite a few customer cars.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanPorges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Replacement and Stuff Reply with quote

Thanks for all that info, that helps alot....
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Replacement and Stuff Reply with quote

Hi. There is no way in heck I would buy, or suggest to one of my customers, an engine from across the country. This air-cooled stuff aint that precious where qualified people are 3000 miles away. I'm in the SoCal area and have never heard of this shop.
A fuel injected case, AS21, was a desirable unit decades ago but it would need to be inspected as anything else might.
I would suggest you describe your interests toward what you wish to obtain.
Bill
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Replacement and Stuff Reply with quote

What you do with the tank depends on how good yours is. Need to pull the level sensor and take a look inside. Also look for any evidence of leaks or rust through. I try to use the original tank when possiblle. If buying a replacement, check with Wolfsburg West. I use their tanks for early cars and am very happy with them.

Unless your original tank has been cleaned and sealed (and even if it hasnt) a good filter under the tank is a good idea.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Replacement and Stuff Reply with quote

Neither of those options would be a stroker motor, just bigger bore. The late model cases are a good base for a performance build, better oiling capacity, cooling, and better case material.

Where in MA are you? There was/used to be a builder out there called "Boston Bob" or something like that. I have no info about him, other than I tore down and rebuilt an engine for a friend that came out of his shop after it blew up. No idea who built it, but I wouldn't let them build one for me...
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Replacement and Stuff Reply with quote

Stan is in Natick, MA and has a good reputation:

http://www.stanagon.com/
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Replacement and Stuff Reply with quote

Unless you are into street racing save your money and headaches that come with a "built stroker" and just go with the standard big bore kit and stock crank and cam (1776) use dual carbs (take the top off and look for crap as most new carbs from China have some) and unless you want to be driven mad from the clicking from cheap fuel pumps buy the Holly (it's a vain type so quiet) with the emergency shut off switch and get the pressure regulator to lower the 7 psi to 4 psi. As far as the exhaust buy the header with a quiet pack muffler and have a muffler shop cut off the stock pipe coming out of the muffler and have them fab. one to come out your FI cut out in the apron. Stock tank is fine if it checks out just plug the return line as you wont need it.
DanPorges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Replacement and Stuff Reply with quote

So in terms of the size, im looking for a daily driver durability with enough pep to comfortably merge onto Massachusetts highways and deal with a ride up into the mountains of NH or something. The 1699 was suggested to me, but I was originally planning on an 1835-1904 just based on the idea of return on investment.

Stan has worked on my car, but he himself isnt able to build a motor for me. Oddly, where we live, Natick, is where Stan is located as well as is a hotspot for VW's in general with Greg's, Stan's, Billy Brown (arguably one of the best vehicle builders for AC VW's) and Dana Johnson all here or within a town or two. Boston Bob is not in business anymore, but a couple of his guys have gone and opened new shops locally. When i called them, though, they werent interested in working on a FI motor.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Replacement and Stuff Reply with quote

DanPorges wrote:
So in terms of the size, im looking for a daily driver durability with enough pep to comfortably merge onto Massachusetts highways and deal with a ride up into the mountains of NH or something. The 1699 was suggested to me, but I was originally planning on an 1835-1904 just based on the idea of return on investment.

Stan has worked on my car, but he himself isnt able to build a motor for me. Oddly, where we live, Natick, is where Stan is located as well as is a hotspot for VW's in general with Greg's, Stan's, Billy Brown (arguably one of the best vehicle builders for AC VW's) and Dana Johnson all here or within a town or two. Boston Bob is not in business anymore, but a couple of his guys have gone and opened new shops locally.

When i called them, though, they werent interested in working on a FI motor Call them again and tell them you want to convert to carbs and you will get a better response. No one wants to work on old VW FI.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Engine Replacement and Stuff Reply with quote

DanPorges wrote:
When i called them, though, they werent interested in working on a FI motor.

Translation: We lack the skills to work on an aircooled FI motor.

Starbucket wrote:
Call them again and tell them you want to convert to carbs and you will get a better response. No one wants to work on old VW FI.

Why the hell would anyone go through the trouble of contacting those nimrods back??

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: