Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

source to decipher VW part numbers
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
storminorman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: source to decipher VW part numbers Reply with quote

Any one lead me to a source to decipher part #'s? I have various parts laying around, would like to know yr...model type these belong to.
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: source to decipher VW part numbers Reply with quote

Start as a delivery driver in your local VW parts store. Work your way up to counter guy, and before you know it, after 20-25 years experience you'll have forgotten more stuff than you know as far as VW parts are concerned.
That's the way I did it, anyways.
Or you could Google it. Laughing
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: source to decipher VW part numbers Reply with quote

storminorman wrote:
Any one lead me to a source to decipher part #'s? I have various parts laying around, would like to know yr...model type these belong to.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is from my type 4 parts catalog but the parts groups are the same for all models.
For example.....a type 4 emergency flasher switch versus a type 1 switch:

The type 4 part # is 411 953 235 (with various letter codes at the end)
The type 1 part # is 111 953 235 (with various letter codes at the end)

The 111 and 411 describe the car model.....type 1 is 111 and type 4 is 411.

The 9 in the 953 # describes the MAIN part group ....and group 9 is "electrical equipment". So every part in that group.....in my car....starts with 411 9.
The 5th and 6th numbers are the sub group.....within that section of the parts book.

At the beginning of each MAIN section of the parts book is a page with the list of subgroups.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the subgroup list for section 9 in my book. You can see that the number 53.....is for turn signal front, electrical parts for trailer operation, and turn signal switch.

What these subgroups do.....is generally describe......the location in tye car where the part is.

The next three numbers are the actual individual part number for the part. The letter code at the end describes new modifications/versions. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
storminorman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: source to decipher VW part numbers Reply with quote

So, the jug I am holding in my hand....# is 341 101 302. It's safe to assume this is from a type 3 , the 1 of 101 designates engine part, so the 01 is??? Jug?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: source to decipher VW part numbers Reply with quote

A quick google search tells me that is a 85.5mm cylinder, as in cylinder and piston aka "jug"

Yes, 341 is a Type 34 part, although really Type 3, it's just that Type 34s got this part first so it got assigned a 341 part #. This is a common thing in VW part numbers. You will see "Type 3" parts on Bugs and vice versa.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: source to decipher VW part numbers Reply with quote

I saved these two notes from somewhere (that I can't remember):

Note 1:
The first three numerals of every VW parts number shows which VW it was originally designed for.
First numeral shows if it was for type 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.. Second and third number shows model.
Here are a few examples, 141 is type 1 Ghia convertible LHD, 114 Beetle deluxe export model RHD,
111 Beetle standard model LHD, 151 Beetle convertible, 261 VW Pick-up (Side panel lid right, LHD).

The fourth number designates which of the ten chapters it is included in:

1 = Engine
2 = Fuel Tank, Exhaust System, Heater Pipes (and Eberspacher gas heater)
3 = Transmission
4 = Front Axle Steering
5 = Rear Axle
6 = Road Wheels, Brakes
7 = Frame, Hand Lever System, Pedal Cluster
8 = Body
9 = Electrical
0 = Accessories
There were also part numbers that started with "ZVW" instead of the numerals that were accessories
that one could order at the dealership.

The remaining numbers are the actual part number and if followed by a letter suffix it is an improved
part or totally new part that might not fit with the adjoining older parts.

If you know a part is for one side only, it will end in an odd numeral for LHD driver side and even numeral if passenger.

While a lot of type 1 parts were used in the type 2 and type 3. Very little type 2 parts were used in the type 1.

Note 2:
Audi VW part numbers explained
The VW part numbering system is a very logical sequence of numbers and letters, almost a language in itself. Once you
understand how a part number is made, you could almost guess what a part number would be!
A part number looks like: 3B0821106C
This can be broken down into three 'lots' of three numbers, i.e.:
3B0 821 106C each group of three numbers has a specific meaning:
3B0 means the car or engine/gearbox this part fits. In this case, 3B0 is a Passat. Sometimes when is part is different for left
hand drive cars or right hand drive cars, the last digit will denote either LHD or RHD. A 1 would indicate LHD and a 2 would
indicate RHD. So:
3B1 = a LHD specific Passat part
3B2 = a RHD specific Passat part
8D1 = a LHD specific A4 part
8D2 = a RHD specific A4 part
Another way the first three numbers are used, is when the part is different for various body versions of the same car. i.e.
1H0 is MK3 Golf
1H9 is MK3 Golf estate
3B5 is Passat saloon
3B9 is Passat estate
8N8 is TT Coupe
8N7 is TT Roadster
8D5 is A4 Saloon, or sedan
8D9 is A4 Avant
8E0 is the new A4,
The next group of three numbers 821 has two meanings. The 8 means bodywork and we refer to this number as the 'main
group'. The 21 is the 'subgroup' of ( 8 ) bodywork, and the subgroup 21, is always wings, or fenders as they are known in the
USA. The part number so far would then be 8D0 821, and all we need now is the last three digits. The last three digits are the
'real' part number of every part.
The last three digits in the example part number above are 106C. The number 106C has two meanings. 106 is the part
number for a wing (or fender), also when a part is sided, i.e. left or right, the very last digit (6 in this case) denotes the side. An
even number means right hand side, an odd number means left hand side. So in the example part number, 106 is a wing and
the side it fits is the right hand side (being an even number). This is normally always the case with only a few exceptions.
The last bit of the example part number, the letter C, refers to either the version of this wing, or if a part has been modified, this
letter will increase along the alphabet to indicate that a modification has taken place.
That's virtually all there is too a part number!
Try this one:
A 1999 Passat bonnet, what's the part number likely to be?
3B0 = Passat
8 is bodywork
23 is bonnet
and bonnets are normally 023 or 029.
So you can almost correctly guess the part number of a Passat bonnet!

3B0 823 029, the only thing missing is the letter C at the end of the part number, but that's the bit you couldn't guess!! Easy
huh??
The only other 'main' part of a part number is the colour code. These codes go at the very end of a part number i.e. 4A0 837
239E 01C. 01C is one of the colour codes for black, another code for black is B41, or 3FZ even.
Simple when you know how! now you can impress your local dealer and tell them the part number in future!

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)

Last edited by hopkin on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: source to decipher VW part numbers Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
A quick google search tells me that is a 85.5mm cylinder, as in cylinder and piston aka "jug"

Yes, 341 is a Type 34 part, although really Type 3, it's just that Type 34s got this part first so it got assigned a 341 part #. This is a common thing in VW part numbers. You will see "Type 3" parts on Bugs and vice versa.

Yes.....well put and thank you for adding what I forgit. Lots of parts are used on different cars. For example type 4 uses a handful of type 1 and 3 parts....so they start with 111 and 113 generally......but the second set of 3 numbers in the middle which show the main parts group....and the sub-assembly type......are still all in the same place.

There are a few rare exceptions to the rules that seem to fit no rhyme or reason.....but most of those turn out to be dealer installed accesories......or a part used only in some obscure 3rd world country....or for an industrial application. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MSBenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: source to decipher VW part numbers Reply with quote

While searching for parts online I have found it is useful to know the VW part number instead of looking for it by name. That works great when you remove a broken part that has the original part. The problem that I run into is when your car is missing the part. I think the previous owner used my car as a parts car. I think what I need is an assembly manual that shows a breakdown of the car with part numbers. Unless I have overlooked something, it was not in the technical section. Does such a manual exist? It would also be awesome if there was a list cross referencing parts that might fit the VW from Porsche. Not that I want the car to be a Porsche, but I thought it would make finding parts easier to find.

Also, to add to the part numbers explained discussion, I found the following information.

http://www.aircooled.net/vw-part-numbers-explained/

75 Standard Beetle
72 Standard Beetle (first car) sold in '96
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: source to decipher VW part numbers Reply with quote

MSBenko wrote:
While searching for parts online I have found it is useful to know the VW part number instead of looking for it by name. That works great when you remove a broken part that has the original part. The problem that I run into is when your car is missing the part. I think the previous owner used my car as a parts car. I think what I need is an assembly manual that shows a breakdown of the car with part numbers. Unless I have overlooked something, it was not in the technical section. Does such a manual exist? It would also be awesome if there was a list cross referencing parts that might fit the VW from Porsche. Not that I want the car to be a Porsche, but I thought it would make finding parts easier to find.

Also, to add to the part numbers explained discussion, I found the following information.

http://www.aircooled.net/vw-part-numbers-explained/

Except....that its miss8ng the part number prefixes for type 4 cars.....
Wink
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: