Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Filthy Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

Aaaaaaand I'm back with more problems Embarassed

Good news is the bus is running great, got new tires on, but now there's a new issue.

After I got some help on here from you very considerate people and the bus was ready for a test drive, I noticed the driver side rear drum was stuck ... likely from leaving the parking brake on.

Eventually I got it off after backing off the adjusters (which were pretty stiff) and some bangs with a hammer. The drum was still hard to remove even after that. I also decided to replace the wheel cylinder (because I had done the other side recently) while I was in there.

After that I got everything back on and bled the brakes, but now it felt like the shoes were still rubbing. I backed them off as far as I could (one side was fairly easy, the other eventually required a hammer and screwdriver to adjust), but it still sounds like it's rubbing after coasting down my street and they also felt hot.

Any thoughts?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

Here's a pic from a 1968 bus that shoes the rear shoes only hitting on the ends because the radius of the shoe doesn't match the drum

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see daylight when the shoe is laid into the removed drum

So we attached the drum to the wheel for support and then used sandpaper lining the drum to contour the brake shoe

It was a real bitch but solved the problem
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Filthy Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Here's a pic from a 1968 bus that shoes the rear shoes only hitting on the ends because the radius of the shoe doesn't match the drum

So we attached the drum to the wheel for support and then used sandpaper lining the drum to contour the brake shoe

It was a real bitch but solved the problem

It never did this before when I was driving it around months ago though. Would something like that just randomly pop up?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

Doubtful unless you just did some heavy braking
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

Did you free up and put antiseize on the adjusters when you had the drum off,I assume you did seeing as how you had to use a hammer to back them off,whichs begs the question ,why did you have to use a hammer and screw driver to adjust the brakes?
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Filthy Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
Did you free up and put antiseize on the adjusters when you had the drum off,I assume you did seeing as how you had to use a hammer to back them off,whichs begs the question ,why did you have to use a hammer and screw driver to adjust the brakes?

I suppose because they were so crusty and rusted (at least on the side towards the front of the bus). I did clean them (wire brush and some gumout) but it didn't seem to help much, perhaps it's time for new ones?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

I was taught that the shoes should rub on the drum a bit when you adjust them. Not enough to stop the wheel from spinning but slightly scraping when the wheel is spun.

I'd pull the drum and get those adjusters working properly and try again. I wouldn't worry about "arking" the shoes, they will wear in no time.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

Just don't breath too much and inhale that quality asbestos from China or Canada. Rolling Eyes Shocked Sad

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Filthy Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I was taught that the shoes should rub on the drum a bit when you adjust them. Not enough to stop the wheel from spinning but slightly scraping when the wheel is spun.

I'd pull the drum and get those adjusters working properly and try again. I wouldn't worry about "arking" the shoes, they will wear in no time.

Can you elaborate on how much they should spin? When I had the rear on stands I could spin the tire but it wasn't exactly spinning freely. It was still fairly hard to turn.

I think I'll remove all the star adjusters and grease them to be sure they're working properly.

It also looks like one of the return springs might've been bent previously. Would that cause the rubbing?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

The rear is going to be harder to spin then the front because you're turning the transaxle. I go with a pretty free turning wheel with a slight scrape. The high sections of the shoe will scrape which will wear down over time and then your shoe will match the curve of the drum. I've found that I adjust my drums every 1500 miles or so.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

Adjust the brakes up until you can no longer spin the drums and then back them off 3-4 notches. Test drive and see if the brake drums get excessively hot. If too hot then back the adjusters off another notch or two and retest. Watch the brake temp carefully for the first couple of hundred miles.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

Gee, Perhaps Gary should have clarified that his pictures were from the
Front brakes.So as NOT to let the O.P. think that there should be 2 wheel
cylinders per side on the REAR of his Bus. Embarassed Speak to the hand d'oh!

Filthy Dub, seeing where you are from and that fact that it is possible to
have excessive surface rust built up on the backing plates & drum then
you should wire brush all the surfaces and lubricate the contact points of the
backing plates where the shoes touch.

also lube the e-brake lever pivot at the lining
re-torque the axle nut to spec. found in the Bentley Repair Manual.

And, as Rich Parker mentioned lube the adjusters so it is easy down the
road to do the basics.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

The adjusters need to be removed, made shiny, greased...you should be able to flip on the adjuster teeth with the smallest screwdriver you own.

Once the wheel locks up, back off 3, test drive, just like man says.

Freewheeling is too loose. If you adjusted lot of freeplay, like more than 5 clicks, go up front and pump brakes to recently, then readjust everything again.

I think a lot of people adjust these too loose.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

Gee, Perhaps Gary should have clarified that his pictures were from the
Front brakes

Ha! You're right. I should have remembered better. Oh well. Front or back, the fact is that the quality of brake shoes seems to be questionable these days. The reason we arced those shoes was to stop a terrible squeal caused by heavy brakinging.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
3ftDeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

Just another quick thought on this.
I had a rear brake rubbing / getting hot on my '69 early bay.
I did the same as you; changed / cleaned / adjusted everything on the actual drum.

It would spin freely when initially set up then rub / get hot when used.

The problem was the rubber flexi brake hose to the drum. The inside of the hose degrades and closes the passage of the brake fluid. A push on the brake pedal has the power to push fluid to the drum cylinder but the springs on the shoes are the only thing to force the cylinder piston back, which isn't nearly enough. So, the piston stays out.
The fluid might slowly seep back over time, freeing it up again but push the brake pedal & it starts all over again.
The force of the pedal also has the ability to enable brake bleeding, which is why it's not an obvious fault.
Also, the outside of the hose looked fine.

You can tell if this is an issue by taking that flexi hose off, blowing air thought it (careful if you do this directly with your mouth; brake fluid is nasty stuff). It should be easy. Mine was completely closed. I went blue in the face trying : )

edit: It was a while ago that I did this on mine so can't really remember exactly what I did but, I was just thinking, what you can do to test without removing anything, other than the drum.
So, take the rear drum off, get someone to gently push the brake pedal (not too far / fast as the drum isn't there to stop the pistons falling out)
Once the pistons are out, release the brake pedal & see if the pistons return. If not, try pushing them. They shouldn't have too much resistance. If they don't move, I'd suggest the hose is the problem.

If this is the issue, probably best to change all four flexi hose, front & rear.

Might be worth a look.

Cheers

Gary (a different one : )
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

x2 on the rubber hoses. BTDT

Aloha
tp
Filthy Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Rubbing, Adjusting Not Helping Reply with quote

I took out the star adjusters, lubricated them and cleaned a few other brake components before realizing it was probably the dust cover that was actually rubbing.

I think the PO had bent it (or myself maybe) and it was just slightly dragging in a few spots along the drum.

Seems to be good for now at least. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: