Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maskinmester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

This is the story about my 1954 Oval beetle. Build in July 1954.

The car is sold and registered in Denmark in July 1954 and as the chassis, body and front axle numbers also dates July 1954 there has not been long from the production line in Wolfsburg to the dealer in Denmark. Unfortunately the engine dates Nov 1955, so it has been replaced at some point, but I have the number for the original engine at the customs declaration.
In 1973 the car was unregistered and probably taken in exchange with a new Fiat at Jens Sřrensen, Kolding (Denmark) and then it was put to storage along with hundreds of other cars taken in exchange – hardly no old car or motorbike left the dealer for 3 decades – it was all stored! And as the dealer went more and more into trucks there were no focus on selling these old cars and when Fiat forced him to decide if he would sell trucks or cars in the beginning of the 80´ties the trucks won – meaning all what was left of cars in the dealer ship were just stored – even brand new Fiat 127. When Jens Sřrensen passed away in the autumn 2006 93 years old, the son Kjeld decided it was time to start selling out. First more than 100 trucks, rusted away and sunk in the ground, were sold for scrap and then they started selling the cars – how many nobody knows as they never counted them, but is was hundreds. Nothing was advertised, just from mouth to mouth until it reached the media that a forgotten dealership was discovered (although it had been an ongoing business for all the years and still is). On the below links you can see some of it – I know it is Danish and German, but trust the pictures speaks a common language

http://www.autobild.de/klassik/artikel/oldtimer-paradies-in-daenemark-668791.html

http://www.fyens.dk/bilbaadcamping/Fiat-i-en-tidslomme-Spritnye-sjaeldne-gamle-biler/artikel/987221

I was also among the lucky persons who got to buy a few things from the dealer in 2008. A set of machines for engine cylinder machining and honing, a Danish Nimbus motorbike and then 6 Beetles, ranging from 1954 to 1964 – all stored from beginning 70´ties and in various condition. I shortly after sold 3 of them and now have a 1960 which is very original, but will take a lot of work. A 1961 which is healthy rust vice, but is missing the engine and the 1954 which this tread is about.

In December 2015 it was time to get it out from the barn as we decided we would participate in Hessisch Oldendorf 2017 (HO17). The engine was fired up after a little tlc to the ignition and a temporary fuel tank – it ran fine on 3 cylinders and made a successful test drive in the backyard and the nearby dirt roads of a few kilometers just to get an idea of the mechanic condition.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Smiling for the first time since 1973 Smile

In January 2016 we started to dismantle it – took it in the air on the forklift which gave good access to evaluate the bottom and dismantle the fenders etc. Then inside the workshop and placed it on some bucks for good working position. Dismantled some more and started to find parts needed and so on. Then from March to December almost nothing happened – at least not on the beetle project, but as Christmas was coming we realized that HO17 were only 6 month ahead, so something had to be done. So we got started replacing metal and now it is just to follow below as the project goes by and hopefully the car will pass by the survey and have license plates fitted a month or so prior to HO17 so we can get it tested a little prior to the 600 kilometers drive from my home to Hessisch Oldendorf in Gemany.
It has been repaired in it´s last years on the road – late 60´ties rear bumper mount and vinyl headliner. It was re spray in that connection which still looks pretty good. It is all the same places which has to be re done now and a few more. The repairs done at that time was just to keep it running and keep it tight, so it was just welded on top of the rusty areas, so some places 3 or 4 layer of rust shells and a layer of filler on top. Very clear that the cars did not have to be surveyed regularly at that time.

Sitting on the forklift for initial inspection and dismantling of fendres and so on prior to start of repair.

Aft quarters both side completely rotten.

In the shop placed on bucks for good access to repair.

Engine is taken out - it is a November 1955 from the number

Interior

The plan is to do all rust and mechanics to get her back to the road again. Partial re spray of repaired areas and new parts. The cosmetics will have to wait. Then there will also be possibilities to do some corrections afterwards as well as to find all correct items as time goes by. I know I do not have correct rear fenders as well as it might be possible to get a date matching engine over time.
1956 Unimog 411
30 old farm tractors and stationary engines
1999 Golf - daily driver
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to following this restoration!
maskinmester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

Now when I am at work in the middle of the north sea and can´t get to work on the little black, I better post a few pictures of what has been done.

Aft quarters has been repaired both sides

Right side before.

Right side after. Bumper mount from Wolf and side panel from Mika. The middle section where it joins to the body is a standard klokkerholm. Have not been able to find a time correct section so far. Have modified a little so it has the round hole and will maybe make the lips on the inside as well.

Left bumper mount before...

... just put on top of all the old rust.

and the new one fitted up.

Left side finished - almost at least.

To be continued..
1956 Unimog 411
1999 Golf - daily driver
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

maskinmester wrote:

To be continued..

I'm looking forward to it. And I hope you feel inspired to add any tidbits about how your Danish VW heritage might be important to what you are doing.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

ILL BE watching this one, I admire you guys with skill..
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
maskinmester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

The body and the pan has also been separated now when the repairs has been completed in all placed where they join together.

The pan is absolutely solid. The only place there is evidence of repair is where the battery sits. Trust it must be the original bottom plates as the drivers side has a stamp as well as no places where I can find evidence of it being replaced. Impressive it can be in such good shape with the amount of rust which has been sitting just on top of it!

And the body is still standing in the workshop ready for the last bits of plate to go in and some touch up paint Smile

1956 Unimog 411
1999 Golf - daily driver
coxbzh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

i take a ticket
maskinmester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

While being stuck in the middle of the north sea at work and cant get to do something on the project and can off course update a little here on what is waiting for me when back home next weekend.

Rear valance to be made back to single pipe exhaust - else it is sound.

Front quarters lower parts to be made both parts - have to model my self.

Spare wheel well to be replaced with a nice new one from wolf.

A few holes behind the fuel tank to be fixed - of course not the ones for the choke cable Smile

And finally some sections of the bottom plate for heater channels.

So I am not going to be bored for the two weeks at home.

/René
1956 Unimog 411
1999 Golf - daily driver
maskinmester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

Time for another update. 2 weeks at home goes very fast and now already one week away at work - so only one week before I can get back home to finish up the last bits of plate Smile

Front clip has been repaired - only the sides below the fender mounts where bad, so went for a repair instead of replacement - and saved a bit of $ for something else Laughing

Spare wheel well replaced with one from Wolf - nice fit.

Turned it on the side - hate to weld upside down - for better access to the bottom plates of the heater channels and the firewall.

Cut out the last bit of the right side bottom plate of the heater channel and fitted the new piece and finished up the welding.

Lower part of firewall and quarter finished.

Other side - drivers side heater channel bottom plate - Don´t ask what went wrong - got it cut out, fitted up and everything measured as it should. Took it out for a spray of zink primer and then welded it in place, grinded smooth and nice.....

....and after studying the shape of the pressing I realized something was wrong - so drilling out 50 plug welds later Laughing

Left side quarter and firewall.

1956 Unimog 411
1999 Golf - daily driver
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

Wow, you're doing a great job on that oval window metal work. I love your nice, clean working environment as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

Nice work Wink
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

Excellent documentation of the restoration. Respray in same factory color?
maskinmester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

My workshop is usually not clean - but I do try to brush up the floor and clear the tools before moving around things and also before leaving home for work. And these periods apparently fit very well to take pictures as well.
Will try take a picture when the grinders, drills and all their cords coil up in a spider net with scrap metal and pliers Laughing

It is not factory paint - it has been re-sprayed some time late 60´s, but it is original color. The plan is only to paint the areas where I have done repairs and then polish the rest - it looks quite nice and shiny below the dirt.
Time will then show if it will have a full respray when it has been running for a season or two. I know at some point I will replace the headliner and also my rear fenders are not correct as well as the hood need some extensive repair at a later stage. So that might be the time to go for a full respray. But now it is a matter of getting her on the road.

One week more and I am back in the workshop for more fun - left A-pillar - pipes for heater boxes - fitting fenders and some small repair to them - grinding away rust and making ready for paint - bottom pan - front axle... etc. - you all know it Smile
1956 Unimog 411
1999 Golf - daily driver
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

Nice work!

Hope to see you and your car in HO, plan to take the ferry (Superspeed 2) to Hirtshals on Wednesday, stay overnight somewhere around Hamburg and go to the camping in Hessisch early Thursday evening Smile

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
maskinmester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

Thanks Kjell Roar

We will be a few ovals planning to start Thursday morning for the 600 km ride to HO.

See you down there!

/René
1956 Unimog 411
1999 Golf - daily driver
maskinmester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

Some time has passed since the last update, however the project has not been on stand-by. Easter left some time to finish up the metal work on the body and do some preparation for the upcoming paint job.

Got made some pipes for the heater channels and welded them in place.

All new steel and repaired areas were cleaning up by a coarse rotating steel brush on the angle grinder and given a coat of primer.

It was then taken out of the shop and sandwashed all outside rusted areas - inside fender area - front firewall and below the fuel tank - engine bay and below the aft luggage tray.

The pan also got some heavy washing. Only very minor repairs to be done here. Battery tray area to be replaced and a few small spots and cracks to be welded up - else it is ready to paint.

Trust it is the original bottom plates from the stamps.

I have a question for the experts here about the color scheme for this black July 1954 beauty.
Inside of cabin seems to be black finish from front firewall and heater channels to aft of the doors - rest of the lower part including luggage tray looks somewhat metalgrey/dark silver?
Also what should be the color of the area below the luggage tray (above the transmission) and also the area below the fuel tank, outside front firewall - there are absolutely no signs of paint in these areas?
Would also like to know the paint scheme for the rims?

Thanks
/René
1956 Unimog 411
1999 Golf - daily driver
maskinmester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

Two weeks ago I was out to an event with my stationary engines. In this connection there was a swap meet as well and among all the old iron there were a few VW goodies Very Happy

2 pce mufflers - one for single tip!

Also 3 pce semaphores - looks brand new although they have stored less good, so some smashed lenses and the ribbed one is a bit crumbled - but the are there and for 15$ each I needed them!

1956 Unimog 411
1999 Golf - daily driver
maskinmester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

It´s been a while since the last update, however the project has not been on standstill - in fact it is now fulltime to reach the deadline of HO17!
So been sourcing the last parts I need to make it driving and taking care of the paintwork on the entire undercarriage and all the parts for this.

On a sunny day I took the pan outside for the first coat of primer - I did this by brush to make sure I reached all the corners. After the first coat it was set aside for some days.

It was then time to put some paint on the lower side of the body - two coats of primer - again by brush to reach the blind spots.

And finally two coats of black - now more or less ready to go back on the pan when it is ready.

Pan is back in the workshop for a last coat of primer and some black paint.

All the small parts has also been blasted, primed and painted.

So now basically ready to start assembly.
1956 Unimog 411
1999 Golf - daily driver
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

Awesome, Just a perfect way to get a Beetle back out on the Highways. Thanks
for sharing. Love what I've seen of your car. Keep the Pictures and info coming
Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: July 1954 Build – The forgotten dealership Reply with quote

Very nice work !!!

Well done and please keep the pics coming...

Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: