Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

Have had this feb 55 oval for while now but being out the country or 900ks away ment I have had little time to dig into it. Recently made the call to drive up nth and bring it home, special thanks to Brent Mewett for driving the van and then getting the old girl road legal.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I thought a few people might be interested in a few pics of the car as it's a bit unusual being a New Zealand assembled ckd car, it's also really honest car with 103k miles on the clock and loads of paper work from its purchase in aug 55, it also came with a piece of wood, that used to hang in the garage of the Og owner until 1995, it details polishes, battery top ups, tyres, paint touch ups etc it shows what a meticulous and carefull owner the Og owner was.

Most noticeable difference with the car being NZ assembled is the colour, it's an NZ only colour similar to inca red, I cracked open the heater box under the rear seats to confirm the Og colour. legend has it that some of these early ovals in NZ, were painted with paint left over from the Jowett motors assembly plant that VW took over in 54. Second most obvious difference is the interior, some parts of the car were made locally they include the locally trimmed seats and carpet and glass. The seats are trimmed in the same pattern as the Og German assembled cars but the vinyl and colours are NZ only. The in interior of this car is all Og the exterior has had one respray years ago in a close to Og colour. The floors are amazing and if it wasn't for the factory mcodes on the pan you would think they had been replaced, clearly this old girl lived a sheltered life...

Anyhow, ran out of camera battery, we are using the car on the weekends and loving it, I will update with more pics as I dig into Ito the old girl a bit deeper...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maskinmester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

What a nice car. Impressive to see all documentation - I specially like the wooden "logbook" - Then there is no doubts that it has been properly serviced!
1956 Unimog 411
30 old farm tractors and stationary engines
1999 Golf - daily driver
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

WOW! the batwing and motometer gauges look restored!. Love that the motor retains the 55 parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

volksartist wrote:
WOW! the batwing and motometer gauges look restored!. Love that the motor retains the 55 parts.

From what I can tell the steering wheel and column have had a bit of loving by a previous owner, however seat frames and everything else have the kind of patina you would expect from 103k miles. I am guilty of adding the te6a3 coil and strapover air cleaner as they were missing. The motometer seems og to me the gauges are all dated 55 and the installation was agricultural to say say the least, I'm pretty sure they made the hole by drilling holes next to each other, you would be out of a job for doing that in this day and age, check out the gauge hole in this pic...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ssx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

Wow... what a beautifully preserved car!
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

Is this what they call a "log" book?

Amazing car! That's a aussie colour isn't it?

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

Hi otahuhu, I just stumbled across a photo I took of your new/old car I took First thing in the morning at the camp for the 2008 VW Nationals in Cambridge.

It's a favorite pic of mine as it was a foggy waikato morning, drew still on all the car windows, no people and just classic vw's.
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
Is this what they call a "log" book? Very Happy

This old girl is all German ckd (completely knocked down) and New Zealand assembled paint trim etc, not a lick of input from the good folks in Australia.
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

63Ragtop NZ wrote:
Hi otahuhu, I just stumbled across a photo I took of your new/old car I took First thing in the morning at the camp for the 2008 VW Nationals in Cambridge.

It's a favorite pic of mine as it was a foggy waikato morning, drew still on all the car windows, no people and just classic vw's.

Thanks for that, I remember those nats, at the time Nigel from platinum VW owned this car and the very similar blue one that later went to the uk, I will try to find some picks of that as it had the same interior, but blue beading and carpet.
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

What a cool OG car! Love the log book Smile
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
allsidius wrote:
Is this what they call a "log" book? Very Happy

This old girl is all German ckd (completely knocked down) and New Zealand assembled paint trim etc, not a lick of input from the good folks in Australia.

My sincerest apologies for mixing up your two great nations! I was in Wellington for a couple of months in 1991, did not see many beetles there then. But a lot of old Minors. Beautiful place!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

Very cool piece of rolling NZ/VW history! Wax the snot out of everything on her, and then drive, drive, drive her around that beautiful country of yours! I'm planning a vacation next year and hope to be in NZ for a few weeks, can't wait to tour there myself (never been yet). I love your unique oval (I have an unrestored June 1955 Sunroof myself - see my avatar photo).

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

Thankyou all for the kind words, I'll let the old girl know Very Happy
Bill, if you decide to head down this way and you are going to be anywhere near the middle of the country, don't hesitate to get in touch.

I got up to the lock up after work and took a photo of the CKD number I've seen similar numbers on the Australian cars in another thread here...

This well known photo from the NZ assembly plant was the 1000th VW assembled, the ckd number on this car is 1034 but I don't know if the numbers relate to ovals and kombis or just ovals.

Another nice detail on this car is this exhaust...

The Original owner spent $459 in 1984 getting this custom made stainless exhaust fabricated, I think you could have easily bought a 55 beetle for that amount of money in the mid 80s, just goes to show how much the Original owner Robert loved this car.

Og floorpans look pretty good from underneath too...

The light was good so I took a cpl of pics, looks good in photos but up close it's not perfect and shows a few signs of its pampered 62 years...

TomF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

That's a really gorgeous car, and loving the "log book"!
ScottyG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

Wow... what a nice car!
60 Beetle OG Survivor
84 DOKA 2WD Road-Tripper!
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Something a little different NZ ckd 55 oval Reply with quote

Wow, what an amazing car! That car was very well taken care of!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: