Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upholstery from scratch?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

In my 73 SB, I have seats from some other car in the front. They're heated and comfy and I actually like them so I want to keep them...thing is, they're this awful gray checkered fabric...not going to work at all with my plans for the interior.

So I was going to go with just some tacky auto zone seat covers, but I got one to test fit, and it didn't fit my front seats very well and the backseat didn't work at all. So, I decided that I should just tear down the seats and make my own new covers, but I wanted to see if anyone else has done it and get some questions answered if I could.

What material is good for this and where can I find it? I want vinyl/faux leather

Should I be attempting this? I'm in High School right now, I have pretty good experience with sewing and I'm actually in a sewing class currently.

Color suggestions? I'm painting my beetle in the following weeks, Sumatra Green and Kansas Beige two tone (Yes I'm straying away from the marina blue heritage), so the interior will be the sumatra green with custom pine door cards and a tongue and groove headliner (My usual hobby is carpentry and woodwork, so I'm incorporating that in) and the black carpet that's already in here... so, ideas for color of the upholstery fabric?

I know these are weird questions, but I want to get a feel for the job and make sure I do it right to get seats that look and feel good and last as long as they can.

Thanks!

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

Take them to the auto upholstery shop and have them done.
It will be the best $2000 you ever spent.
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

DeathTrap wrote:

Haha...I bought the entire car for $500...no way I'm spending 4 times the cost of the car on just seats...I think I have an idea on how to do it.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

So you should be able to take them apart stitch for stitch and recreate using the old sections as patterns.

you could find the car and model and reorder new OE covers.

Perhaps the biggest challenge depending on your car and model might be getting them mounted securely.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

DeathTrap wrote:

I don't know what it would cost these days, but I had my two VWs reupholstered in 1976 and 1979, was under $130 back then. Those were 2 different shops, they made the new upholstery using the old ones as the patterns.

I had used snap on covers before that, also tried chain store seat covers on my trucks, and real auto upholstery materials last over 10 times longer. I had the buckets in my '88 truck upholstered in 1995 still OK too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

By all means try it yourself- it's the only way to lean. Many folks make the mistake of buying and working with Marine vinyl- and the result looks like it belongs where? A marina. Look up a local upholstery supplier (Boise has two- so I know you'll find a couple).

I would find out exactly what you have for seats and compare. If you find out you have a pair of checkered 1975 Scirocco seats- you could probably trade them for an entire new interior package. Be smart with the seats you have.

If you find they are just 1971 Lamborghini Espada seats- chop sake them.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

The seats are already put in quite securely, I have them out right now while I'm doing paint and such though. They were put in a couple owners ago so I have no idea what they're from...plus they're the gross velvety material that your clothes stick to and I very much prefer vinyl...

I'm taking a few adventures with the interior in this car so I'll just add this to the list. I'm planning on documenting a couple things as I go...assuming they work out well...but I've only really seen one other beetle online that has a tongue and groove headliner, and I got a ton of T & G boards for free from my uncle, so I'm going to do that. Also got some textured black vinyl fabric to try to upholster the dash after filling in the holes and such. So I'll take a stab at the new seats and make sure to document the process and some results on the forums for everyone to see.

Distributors are lame

Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

I'm certainly no expert, and please feel free to give it a go....but my wife, who has been sewing, well, for quite some time, suggested that vinyl is difficult to work with, and unless you have a heavy duty sewing machine, nearly impossible to sew....

While not a perfect fit, my wife made these semi-custom fit covers out of denim scraps and odds and ends...she made a template out of old fabric, pinned it, then sewed the outer pieces on....they fit really well....and there is a world of fabric out there...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good Luck

Rod
Beauboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

Of course you always have the option of spending a couple/few hundred $ and buy replacement seat covers from one of the many suppliers, or go the do-it-yourself route. Either way, you'd be in pretty good shape.
Mavans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

Upholstery work from scratch, without experience and proper tooling will end up looking like it was done without experience or proper tooling. It's not easy work. Not something I'd try and tackle.

I will say the Rod's look works well for a vintage VW...

Previous: 1973 SB Autostick, 1977 Vert
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

We did a Beetle once at one of the shops I worked at in Denver. It was a complete interior made from scratch: seat covers (front and rear), door and quarter panels, headliner, carpet, and a few special mods for speaker mounts. I think the total came to about $1300, but we did everything on the cheap (in fact, that shop did everything on the cheap), so expect to pay a little more if you insist on quality work and materials.

A bit of advice:

1. ABSOLUTELY do the job yourself. You'll spend a fraction of the money and if you have even the barest minimum of talent, it'll turn out twice as nice.

2. In my opinion, the absolute worst material you can use to upholster an automobile interior is leather. Vinyl is the second worst. Synthetic fabrics are the best. Not only are they cheaper (usually), but they are easier to sew, they can't dry out and crack, they don't get roasting hot in the summer or freezing cold in the winter (I just hate sitting my arse on a vinyl seat that's been baking in the sun all day, don't you?), and a good, thick material with a tight weave will last damn near forever. However, if you're dead set on vinyl, then I say go for it. It all comes down to personal preference in the end.

3. As mentioned above, all you need to do is break down the original seat covers, or headliner, or whatever is you want to replace, and use the old pieces to pattern out the new ones. Just make sure you remember to mark your seams so you can line up the new pieces correctly (I'm sure you already learned that in your sewing class).

4. With the exception of maybe the headliner, I like to lightly glue a layer of quarter inch foam to the back of the material before I stitch it together. This gives a nice, smooth, uniform appearance and helps hide any blemishes under the fabric. I prefer Weldwood DAP universal adhesive (the old formula, not the new eco-friendly water soluble crap. Any upholstery shop should be able to sell you a quart or two if you can't find it at your local hardware). I use an old spray gun to apply the glue, but a brush or roller will work if you do it right. It's kind of pricey, but I also like the spray adhesive made by Wurth.

And, just because I like to show off my work, here are some pics of what you can do if you want to invest way too much money and don't care if you spend six months worth of weekends and holidays working on it. I basically did all the work in the driveway or in my living room, with nothing more than a $99 sewing machine, a heat gun, a glue gun, and A LOT of patience.

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

WOW !! That interior looks absolutely fantastic !! What kind of seats are those?
trynne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

Here is who I have used several times. Get some samples of their materials which they sell very cheaply. Also gonna need 1/2 inch scrim which is a pad you sew or glue to the pieces you reproduce by CAREFULLY taking the existing upholstery apart and using those pieces as patterns. Most of the harder part in doing a more modern seat is in getting the listings right. These are wire or steel bars that hold the foam pieces in place by being hog ringed to the seat frame from the back side of the foam.

http://www.yourautotrim.com/

Here are my Fiero seats I did a while back.
Do a search on reupholstering Fiero seats as there is a real good post out there by a guy who did his just like what you are talking about.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569446&highlight=fiero+seats

Also get this book as it takes you from zero to hero ! You will need a really good home machine or see if you can pick up a used walking foot machine locally. I had one I bought for $100 initially before I popped for a $1000 for my current one.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_30?url=s...X6UBUYTMQ7

Good luck ! You only learn by doing !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

Adding to the list, I've used this source for springs, foam.
http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

I had the same issue a couple of years ago when I got my car from my father after it had been parked in AZ for 20 years. the cost for a local shop to re-do the seats was my whole mechanical budget or more. So, Took one apart at the seams and made patterns. I found the fabric on eBay and ordered some(too much, or enough to do make many mistakes). I had help from my sister-in-law who sews quilts and has a nice machine, but it turns out our low cost Brother sewing machine could've handled the job(not leather or vinyl). The foam in the Recaros was in great shape, just the fabric was deteriorating as you looked at it.

They went from this:

To this:

Just take your time and label your patterns real good. And remember you are sewing on the inside, so things are reversed until you turn them inside-out.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
WOW !! That interior looks absolutely fantastic !! What kind of seats are those?

Thanks, man. I got them from Scat about 15 years ago. Of course, other than the general shape, they didn't look anything like that when I first got them.

P.S. Oh yeah, I forgot to add hogring pliers and a hand-held carpet steamer to the list of tools I needed. The steamer is an upholsterer's best friend, in my opinion.
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

Well thanks for all the support and ideas and suggestions. I'm probably going to pick up some vinyl and scrim along with a pack of leather needles and heavy duty thread. I like the look and feel of vinyl plus I can get it for dirt cheap from my local fabric store because they always have insane coupons going around, like 50% off any cut of fabric. I have a steamer, a bunch of hair driers, and a ton of time so I think I can get this to turn out well. The upholstery is my project while the car is at my schools body shop so I'll have a few weeks or so.

Thanks for all the help and I'll try to keep my diy interior project updated for all who are interested

Distributors are lame

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

I don't know what it would cost these days, but I had my two VWs reupholstered in 1976 and 1979, was under $130 back then.

$600 if you only account for inflation.

https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
calvinater wrote:

Thanks, man. I got them from Scat about 15 years ago. Of course, other than the general shape, they didn't look anything like that when I first got them.

P.S. Oh yeah, I forgot to add hogring pliers and a hand-held carpet steamer to the list of tools I needed. The steamer is an upholsterer's best friend, in my opinion.

Yes, dude, that is top class. Very nice interior. Well done.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Mavans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Upholstery from scratch? Reply with quote

That interior looks amazing Floating!

Previous: 1973 SB Autostick, 1977 Vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: