Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need assistance with front brake hose length
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PopPop Jambon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Need assistance with front brake hose length Reply with quote

So I am replacing my brake components on all four wheels on my 1968 Bug. I ordered 2 Front brake hoses from JBugs part #113611701D.

First- The invoice indicates...."VW Brake Hose, Front, Each, German, Bug 1967-77" but if you look at the label on the packaging it indicates "Made in Italy"
Also if you go to JBugs website and type in the part #113611701D it comes up as "Front Brake Hose For 1967 - 1977 VW Beetles 380mm Long Sold individually German-Made"

Second- The hose that I received is about 5 inches shorter than the current brake hose and is stretched TIGHT when the wheels are turned to full lock. And the front beam is stock width.

What am I missing? Did I receive an incorrect part? Is there a longer front brake hose for this application? Can someone please tell me the length of their STOCK front brake hose on a STOCK front end?

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sort of a Baja
(PO removed the deck lid, cut out the rear skirt and added rear fiberglass fenders, that's about it)
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Need assistance with front brake hose length Reply with quote

Hmm I would not be happy with those results. Call them email them and demand answers.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
PopPop Jambon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need assistance with front brake hose length Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Hmm I would not be happy with those results.

I am not happy at all! But I would really like to know what front brake hose I need to get. It looks like the JBugs part #211611701 is a couple of inches longer and should fit even though it is made for 1965-66 VW Bug.
Sort of a Baja
(PO removed the deck lid, cut out the rear skirt and added rear fiberglass fenders, that's about it)
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Need assistance with front brake hose length Reply with quote

the number 113611701d on the one they sent you should be 390mm (about 15")
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PopPop Jambon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need assistance with front brake hose length Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
the number 113611701d on the one they sent you should be 390mm (about 15")

Yes that is correct, 380 mm. I do not know the history of this car but the 380mm/15" hoses are too short. Going to return them and get the 440mm hoses for the 1965-66 VW Bug. That should give me about 2 1/4 more inches to work with.

Still I am being sold German parts and receiving parts that specifically state made in Italy.
Sort of a Baja
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Need assistance with front brake hose length Reply with quote

Febi/Bilstein is german. The manufacturer was in Italy. Still, very poor and misleading advertising. I don't order from jbugs because of this fact.

You might be able to find good brake hose at a FLAPS. Won't be german, but it should work as long as dot approved and the length you are looking for.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need assistance with front brake hose length Reply with quote

Two months ago I installed Wagner #BH93120 flex hose on the front of my 1970 VW, they fit fine and are NOT tight !!! I got them from Rock Auto.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
PopPop Jambon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Need assistance with front brake hose length Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
Febi/Bilstein is german. The manufacturer was in Italy.

So it's a German company but production of the part is in Italy. Go figure.

Cusser wrote:
Two months ago I installed Wagner #BH93120 flex hose on the front of my 1970 VW, they fit fine and are NOT tight !!! I got them from Rock Auto.

Thanks Cusser, unfortunately the description does not tell me the length of these. If they are the same length as stock, 380mm/15", then my bug won't be happy with them.
Sort of a Baja
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: