Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mods for a '79 Convertible
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Mods for a '79 Convertible Reply with quote

Last fall purchased a red 1979 SB Conv. Just off of a full restoration from a friend of probably 30 years. All stock except for modern radio and speakers in the rear kick panels.

Covered and in storage till spring arrives up here in New England but am planning the following modifications once the weather gets warmer.

1. Replace radio with a Retro Sound vintage style radio (already purchased).

2. Stereo speakers now installed in the rear kick panels. They really don't work with the top down. replace stock rear kick panels and move speakers to the front. Not sure where to locate then up front. If I can install a under the dash parcel tray, small enclosed speakers could ride on the parcel tray. ... appreciate advice

3. Install Hella battery isolator shut off switch in a rear kick panel. Sort of a "poor mans" alarm. Simple but 100% effective, and I already have a OEM shut off switch bagged as as new.

4. Install 2 fog lamps. Either rectangular ones under the bumper or a pair of large Marchales on top of the bumper using custom brackets. For either installation will use the 2 holes on the bottom of the front bumper. Both pairs of Fogs are vintage late 1970s and in boxes since then... awaiting for a vehicle to mount them on. I've owned 6 Beetles ('56, '65, '67', 68', '73, and '74) and several buses and every one of them sported fog lamps... why change now. For the switch, have a OEM rocker rear defroster switch which will replace one of the switch blanks in the dash.

5. Install LED headlight bulbs. Visually will still look stock from the outside. vintagecarleds.com

6. Considered doing a front Disc brake conversion when I first drove the SB for the first time in the fall, but after several drives got used of the drums so maybe not... again appreciate advice. Is it worth it?

7. Really want to have a parcel shelf under the dash, but seems as though '77 was the last year they made them for. Am considering getting one made for a '77 SB and modifying it to fit the '79 SB instead of starting from scratch fabricating one.

8. Rear fender skirts. Actually found a place to get them from - B.G.W. Spectre Ltd. in WI. I have to contact them. bgwspectre.com/fenders.html

Vertical bumper guards... hear that they were made and offered but now quite impossible to find in any condition.
Bud vase... am looking around for a '70s one.
Rear Hella fog lamp... am looking around for one

Any other mods to recommend for me to do?

thanks
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mods for a '79 Convertible Reply with quote

6. Yes very worth it, even the cheapest kits, but check Topline, seems to be quality and helpful folks.

7. Had to make mine, Do it, none of the ones sold fit Supers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: