Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

I once removed and replaced the pedal assembly in a friend's 1957 VW sedan, to replace the clutch cable.

Knowing that this can sometimes require more than two hands to do the job, I gave a lot of thought as to how this may be done most simply before taking on the job.

I came up with the following procedure which worked great, and perhaps others can benefit from my experience:

1950 Through 1957 VW Type 1 Deluxe: Detailed Pedal Cluster Installation Instructions (Left-Hand Drive Vehicles Only)

1) Protect the floor pan and tunnel area with cardboard, etc., so they cannot become scratched while you are working in this area.

2) Place the pedal cluster assembly within the general area to where it is to be installed.

3) Place the hooked end of the brake return spring and the brake pedal so they are both resting against the floor pan.

4) Apply Universal grease to the hook on the clutch pedal shaft.

5) Connect the clutch cable to the hook on the clutch pedal shaft, and secure them together with a short wire tie (as used for tying off garbage bags, etc.). Hold the clutch pedal in the upright position, so there is no possibility of the clutch cable hook uncoupling from the clutch pedal shaft.

6) Apply universal grease to the clutch pedal shaft, where the shaft protrudes through the clutch pedal shaft bracket.

7) Pass the roller accelerator cable pedal pin through the accelerator cable eye, and insert the pin into the accelerator pedal. Do not install the flat washer or securing cotter pin at this time.

8) Insert the pedal cluster assembly into the frame tunnel opening, while still holding the clutch pedal upright.

9) Hold the clutch pedal upright with a heavy elastic band and a heavy immobile weight, such as a brick, etc. I used a large (6” x 6” x 8”H, 15 pound) electrical transformer for this.

10) Gently pull on the clutch cable at the transmission-end of the cable to ensure that it is still connected to the clutch pedal hook.

11) Apply light machine oil to the two pedal cluster securing capscrew threads; this may allow them to more easily thread into the welded-in nuts within the frame tunnel.

12) Secure the pedal cluster assembly to the frame tunnel with the two capscrews and locking wave washers.

13) Insert the brake pedal push rod into the master cylinder.

14) Hook the brake return spring against the rear cap screw head that secures the cluster assembly to the frame tunnel.

15) Pull the brake pedal up and away from the floor pan so that it is in the upright position and in-line with the clutch pedal, and hold it in place.

16) Position in-place the brake pedal stop on the floor pan, with the clutch pedal support bracket on top of the brake pedal stop.

17) Apply light machine oil to the threads and Install the two 8 x 18 MM cap-screws with locking wave washers that secure the clutch pedal support bracket and the brake pedal stop to the floor pan.

18) Install the brake pedal-to-brake push rod clevis pin, flat washer, and securing cotter pin.

19) Adjust the brake pedal stop so that the brake pedal has the factory-specified free play, relative to the master cylinder piston.

20) Remove the immobile weight and elastic band that were used to hold the clutch pedal in the upright position.

21) Install the flat washer and securing cotter pin for the accelerator cable pedal pin.

22) Apply universal grease to the contact face of the clutch operating lever on the transmission, and to the adjusting threads on the end of the clutch cable.

23) Secure the clutch cable to the clutch operating lever with the adjustment and lock nuts, and adjust the clutch pedal free play to specification. Smear the adjusting and lock nut with universal grease once the adjustment is complete.

24) Verify that the clutch, brake, and accelerator pedals are functioning correctly.

This worked for me, and I'm sure it will work for others who want to undertake this sometimes cumbersome task.

Good luck!
Factory original 1957 Type 1 Deluxe Sedan, with 13,000 miles. I purchased her from the estate of the original owner in 1978. Color: L324 Polar Silver, with light beige leatherette interior, dealer-installed Dehne fuel gauge and Motorola Volumatic radio.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

... lotta' steps for patient New Yorkers

Here's what I do... reach in and connect everything... can see and is pretty easy... is the access VW forgot to design... once covered with the carpet, no one would be the wiser... for us impatient New Yorkers and that's most of us.

... thanks for your procedure.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

New Yorkers patient??? You must be thinking of another part of the country!!! It's the engineer in me that goes to the trouble of thinking these kinds of things all the way through, before taking a wrench to anything..........

Hopefully others will find this step-by-step procedure to be of value.

Although the process is really quite simple, I see here in the Samba a number of frustrated guys attempting to reinstall their pedal clusters in 1950 through 1957 Sedans, and with varying degrees of success.

It worked for me, and hopefully it will work for others as well.
Factory original 1957 Type 1 Deluxe Sedan, with 13,000 miles. I purchased her from the estate of the original owner in 1978. Color: L324 Polar Silver, with light beige leatherette interior, dealer-installed Dehne fuel gauge and Motorola Volumatic radio.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

I found step 16 to be the most frustrating in the procedure. I did it too many years ago and can't remember exactly why.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

Very nice and detailed write-up, thanks for that Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

Zen I recently worked on a 54 that had been modified like that tunnel, it had cracks radiating from each corner of the square, better to have a round hole which creates less stress points

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

Bruce was kind enough to allow me to copy and plagiarize his well-written, concise, easy to understand instructions, to print out and include with my upgraded Oval clutch pedal shafts...Since I use a Grade 8 shoulder bolt instead of the hook, I had to modify it somewhat, but he was kind enough to let me have my way with the write up.. Thank You, Bruce, us L-324 guys gotta stick together Wink

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

66brm wrote:
Zen I recently worked on a 54 that had been modified like that tunnel, it had cracks radiating from each corner of the square, better to have a round hole which creates less stress points

... makes sense... i'll try more-rounded, next time... that would be the engineer in me... thank you
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

Just installed my pedal assembly in my 56. Unless I am mistaken on step 14 the brake pedal spring rests on the head of the FORWARD pedal to frame bolt. Correct me if I am wrong on this
Bruce
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

… another access idea - nice one

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
Just installed my pedal assembly in my 56. Unless I am mistaken on step 14 the brake pedal spring rests on the head of the FORWARD pedal to frame bolt. Correct me if I am wrong on this
Bruce

Thanks for your message.

I can see the confusion here. The hook for the brake pedal return spring must rest against the cap screw that is closest to the front of the car. It is that cap screw that I referred to as the rear cap screw in my point-by-point instructions.

I hope that this helps!

Best Regards,

Bruce
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

Awesome! I tried to connect the spring to the rear capscrew and just couldn't. That clears things up! Thanks for your original post, it was very helpful!!
Bruce
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
Awesome! I tried to connect the spring to the rear capscrew and just couldn't. That clears things up! Thanks for your original post, it was very helpful!!
Bruce

No problem! I'm glad to be of help, and to hear it worked out well for you!

Enjoy your Oval!

Bruce
rjrdomer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

I wanted to say thank you. My father and I followed these instructions to replace my pedal assembly in my 1957 Beetle. We did it without the aid of a shop manual so these were immensely helpful. My dad is a trained Chevy mechanic who now owns a muscle car restoration shop. He's used to tinkering with old cars to an extent but is not a VW expert. He was certain that he knew how to do this without these instructions, but me (the mechanical novice) insisted on following them. Well, let me say we wound up having to do the pedal assembly twice because the first time we didn't follow the instructions. And we wound up losing the clutch cable in the tunnel about 9 times. I became adept at fishing it out with a coat hanger through the small opening.

One recommendation, which may go without stating for most. Spray the threaded holes (the 2 on the tunnel and 2 on the pan) with some WD-40 and put the bolts in first by themselves to get them to work in nicely first before the real deal.

Also, we wound up using 4 cable ties to ensure that clutch cable stayed on the hook.

It was quite the bear of an exercise (easier the second time for sure) but I recommend ANYONE installing a pedal assembly follow these instructions. Thank you kindly.
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

Rjrdomer, I'm glad the procedure I had written here worked out so well, and thanks for the nice reply!

Best Regards,

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Berman on Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

rjrdomer wrote:
I wanted to say thank you. My father and I followed these instructions to replace my pedal assembly in my 1957 Beetle. We did it without the aid of a shop manual so these were immensely helpful. My dad is a trained Chevy mechanic who now owns a muscle car restoration shop. He's used to tinkering with old cars to an extent but is not a VW expert. He was certain that he knew how to do this without these instructions, but me (the mechanical novice) insisted on following them. Well, let me say we wound up having to do the pedal assembly twice because the first time we didn't follow the instructions. And we wound up losing the clutch cable in the tunnel about 9 times. I became adept at fishing it out with a coat hanger through the small opening.

One recommendation, which may go without stating for most. Spray the threaded holes (the 2 on the tunnel and 2 on the pan) with some WD-40 and put the bolts in first by themselves to get them to work in nicely first before the real deal.

Also, we wound up using 4 cable ties to ensure that clutch cable stayed on the hook.

It was quite the bear of an exercise (easier the second time for sure) but I recommend ANYONE installing a pedal assembly follow these instructions. Thank you kindly.

Rjrdomer, I'm glad the procedure I had written here worked out so well, and thanks for the nice reply!

I think you would have found that only one small (1/8-inch wide) cable tie (assuming you used electrical grade nylon cable ties) would have more than sufficed to secure the clutch cable eye to the pedal hook. Four of these was probably real overkill.

What you really want is a temporary method of securing the clutch cable to the hook on the clutch pedal, for the purpose of pulling the clutch cable tight so it can be drawn through the operating lever on the transmission, and fastened to the lever with the clutch adjusting and locking nuts. As you have found out, you don't want the cable eye falling off the clutch pedal hook once the cluster has been installed within the frame tunnel.

Once that is done, you really don't want any loose material, such as four nylon cable ties, in the way of the clutch cable eye and clutch pedal hook. You may find out, however, that as the four cable ties start to break apart from using the clutch pedal, that you may have to recheck the pedal free play and adjust the clutch accordingly, assuming they were sandwiched between the clutch cable eye and the pedal hook.

Even considering this, I think you'll be just fine.

Best Regards,

Bruce
rdwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

I struggled over the weekend with adjusting the Brake Pedal Stop bracket with the Clutch Pedal Support bracket. After reading your procedure, I realize now that I have my Brake Stop bracket on TOP of the Clutch stop bracket. Need to reverse those. Thanks.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

Great write up and "how-to" explanation Bruce!

I haven't done that job for at least 3 decades, and now that I am approaching 70 I'm not looking forward to doing it thru an open Oval Beetle doorway! But I'll have to do so on my '57 Kabriolett someday soon. Luckily that chore will be scheduled after I restore the chassis (already separate for the body) so these older bones won't have to be so contorted).

Can anyone suggest someone who restores/refreshes Oval Beetle pedal assemblies at a reasonable price? Thanks again Bruce! I'm printing that out and placing it on the chassis immediately.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

Hey Bill try Scott...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=PedalWerks

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
Vedderism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Thru 1957 Sedan Pedal Cluster: Installation Instructions Reply with quote

Thank you! Big time help with the installation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: