Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
Lind wrote:
... I collect the stuff because I like it.

...I'll buy what I like and drive them regardless of what others think their value is.

Exactly.

To do otherwise is like investing in Beanie Babies to put your kids through college.

Amen!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrfallon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oil wont run out in our lifetime or our kids, so I wouldn't worry about not being able to fuel your engine!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it sure as Hell won't be cheap! Crying or Very sad
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're a bit weird if you're buying buses just as an investment.
Like the guys that buy classic guitars to wall them up in lockers and never play them.
Both are made things that are designed for a purpose and they should be used and enjoyed.
I've bought old VWs because by the time I'll be able to resto them fully they'll be too expensive to buy.
In fact I sourced a Aussie-made RHD '61 Beetle just recently for that very reason.
I want my son to be able to drive an air-cooled VW when he gets his licence (9 yrs away) and I know they'll cost too much and I won't have time to get one going if I wait until 2020.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfallon wrote:
oil wont run out in our lifetime or our kids, so I wouldn't worry about not being able to fuel your engine!
World oil production peaked in 1966. The best experts say in 15 years we will only have half the oil production we have today. The world population will hit 7 billion people this year and 8 billion people in 15 years. The Chinese until recently had a lot smaller demand for oil and rode mostly bicycles, but now have traffic jams that last for days. So if the world only had 5 billion people in 1966 when oil production peaked and the world will only be producing half of that amount in 2025 yet have 3 billion more people I think you should reconsider your statement or was it your fantasy that oil won't run out in your or your kids lifetimes Rolling Eyes
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfallon wrote:

Right now, some experts say the world has 15 years of oil supply left. Some experts say the world has 40 years of oil left. These two predictions are from both the conservative side and the tree hugging side.

Other way out there people pushing an agenda say 150 years.

But, looking wisely and realistically, we have somewhere between 15 and 40 years of oil left. As time goes, it will get more expensive due to taxes, environmental regulations, demand and so forth. If you are saving your VW for some purpose, you may want to re-think and drive the heap instead while we can.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry guys, Canada has you covered! Alberta/Sask have more oil than the middle east (take the entire world oil - shale oil, and we have more of it). Too bad it's encased in sand, but technology is constantly improving to get it out.

As for price, oil will be cheap. Oil/gasoline is cheap. It's 5 cent/liter in Venezuela. Demand destruction, technology and dependence will all keep oil cheap. We were at $36/barrel less than 3 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrfallon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the ex president of shell, theres billions of barrels left and we don;t need to worry! Might explain why the building of an alternative source car has now spread of 8 presidents and not yet been successful...but we have been to the moon etc!

America uses i think it was 20 million barrels a day, but chooses to only produce 9 million a day, so they get the rest overseas. Some say producing more is far too dirty, and therefore it's left to the arab nations! who really knows! I wouldn't worry though, the ice age will come around before we deplete the oil!'

And yes Venezuela has super cheap oil, would be perfect to get it there! Its actually how Ken Livingston, ex London Mayor run the public transport. Was a huge success and made huge profits for London transport. America picks and chooses which tyrants are acceptable to work with though, and apparently Venezuela isn't on their acceptable list!
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oil+politics=screwed consumer
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcdubs wrote:
oil+politics=screwed consumer

Nailed it.

So, the future of the VW's is depending on what politics will allow.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that my bus is an EZ Camper, if there is not more oil I can still use my bus to camp out in the backyard in 15 years!
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg nailed it...

"I feel that we should be buying what we like and enjoying them instead of investing in buses and riding some wave. I'll buy what I like and drive them regardless of what others think their value is"

This is how i look at it. I love my bus, i have it for ME and am not too concerned what others think about it. And im surely NOT letting it go to rustland over some green papers.
Love your buses and hold them close. Smile

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scooterboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In less than 10 years we will be invading Canada for oil since the middle east blew its self up in 2012. And I'll be cruising in my gas efficient bus. There will be SUVs in barns and on the side of people's houses. As soon as a electric conversion engine is discovered for them, we'll be dragging them out and restoring them. "Hey dude, I found an Suburban in this guy barn and it's all there. It even has the original clock."
59 - Convertible Raceable Baja Bug
63 - Dune Buggy
65 - Single Cab
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooterboyd wrote:
There will be SUVs in barns and on the side of people's houses. As soon as a electric conversion engine is discovered for them, we'll be dragging them out and restoring them. "Hey dude, I found an Suburban in this guy barn and it's all there. It even has the original clock."

"And it's digital! Dude practically gave it to me. Then he farted, and smelled his own fart, basking in it...and then we were on our way home!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will be the fashion soon: Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh God!!! Now I can't see!

mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents,the internet bubble burst in 98,the bus bubble burst this year 2011. More to be up for sale,folks still broke. Prices down,still a good investment,356 cars..great investment. Something to think about. If aliens landed...everything a moot point.
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr white wrote:
If aliens landed...everything a moot point.

Judging by the Japanese minivans above, the aliens have already landed. Laughing

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I'm worried about is the quality of the fuel we are getting and if its going to get worse. There is only 2 stations in my town that are selling ethanol free gas that I am aware of.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else had issues with the alcohol added gas?

i have heard some complaints that it is gumming up fuel systems.

i guess if we didn't have gas , there would be plenty of people distilling; not for drinking, but for fuel. i guess you could drink it too Laughing

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: