Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rare Type 3 Accessories
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Seven slots near rim provide cooling for brakes" -- Whew! Glad they thought of that Twisted Evil
snotchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
I too have found these Wheel Covers at Swap Meets and everyone refers to them as Type 3. Found three this past weekend for $30. in fair condition.
Here's this Advertisement in the 1973 SEARS Auto Parts Catalog. Their the same VW Mag Wheel Covers but they don't show the obscured VW Emblem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's say "Made of heavy-gauge anodized aluminum" then it say's "rugged steel covers blah..blah..heavy chrome-plated finish" Question
someone F-ed up Laughing
check my Ad's Arrow http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=snotchback
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem"
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone search the forums on information about these? Because I think we all talked about them years ago - so when anyone searches for the maker, T3 forums pop up all the time.

Think

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top

Last edited by notchboy on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Rare Type 3 Accessories Reply with quote

Volkswagen Type 3 Specific.
FRAM K-96 Volkswagen Type 3 1500 & 1600 Oil Filter Conversion Kit & Oil Filter.
Does or has anyone used this FRAM Kit?

t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed one in this thread:

2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a "bypass" style filter, not a "full-flow" filter, so only a fraction of your oil ever got filtered.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Looks like a "bypass" style filter, not a "full-flow" filter, so only a fraction of your oil ever got filtered.

Thats exactly what it is. Might as well get a toilet paper one. They work better and are cheaper Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever seen these bumper stops sold for Type 3's?

66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one pictured above seems to be type 1. I've never seen that type offered for type 3.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
The one pictured above seems to be type 1. I've never seen that type offered for type 3.

That is quite possible. Don't know much about them. Looking for information on them, value, etc.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

That is quite possible. Don't know much about them. Looking for information on them, value, etc.

Not much value in those brother. $100? Maybe. They are just plain ugly. Functional like a retainer.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the scoop on these?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1418399

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than being the most expensive accessory, what is so cool about Abarth Exhausts? I have never planned on racing my squareback, how would one benefit from spending over a $1000 for a part that is not even original, when I can buy many NOS and original muffler units for the same price and I would probably only go though one or two over my lifetime. Experts, please chime in.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it is a repop? He doesn't come out and say it but thats how I read it.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've talked to him about it. It appears to be real but it's been repaired -- looks like extensive welding was done -- and those stickers are definitely not the real deal. The removable tubes are some kind of weird workaround, I think, and they would render the heater nonfunctional. Price is a little steep for what it is, in my opinion. I considered it and passed.

As to what's so cool about them -- the Holy Grail factor, of course, but also tuned for less back pressure and supposedly good for several more HP, and the great throaty sound and the cool look of a vintage Italian exhaust. They're also much more robustly built than OEM Type 3 exhausts and will last much longer as long as they're kept out of the salt. The one I once had was solid as a rock and the sound was f-ing awesome.

There's also the ironic humor of running a performance exhaust on a 50 HP car, but not everyone has a taste for that kind of thing. Wink
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
graham truswell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: 1969 type 3 squareback bumper rubbers Reply with quote

Hi, does anyone know where to get the black 190 x 35mm, 7 1/2 x 1 2/5inch bumper rubbers. The ones that bolt on to the old chrome bumpers, 2 on the front and 2 on the back?
And, what would cause a front wheel wobble in my type 3 that occurs without noise at speed, usually after hitting a bump in the road? The wobble usually only stops when the steering wheel is turned more than needed or the car is slowed down. Only happens once or twice on an average trip to town. Posts seem to suggest bearings, but no noise
And, what size were the hubcaps for the original wheels on a 1969 Type 3?

All answers much appreciated, if they answer the Q.s!
b there or b squareback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 type 3 squareback bumper rubbers Reply with quote

graham truswell wrote:
Hi, does anyone know where to get the black 190 x 35mm, 7 1/2 x 1 2/5inch bumper rubbers. The ones that bolt on to the old chrome bumpers, 2 on the front and 2 on the back?
And, what would cause a front wheel wobble in my type 3 that occurs without noise at speed, usually after hitting a bump in the road? The wobble usually only stops when the steering wheel is turned more than needed or the car is slowed down. Only happens once or twice on an average trip to town. Posts seem to suggest bearings, but no noise
And, what size were the hubcaps for the original wheels on a 1969 Type 3?

All answers much appreciated, if they answer the Q.s!
b there or b squareback

Might be best to post this in the regular Type 3 forum, since mechanical advise isn't usually found in the accessories thread. But here goes.

Those rubber bumper guard rubbers are no longer available anywhere. Occasionally the guards or whole bumpers with guards show up in the classifieds. I'm not sure if Bug/Bus/Type 4 rubbers are the same-- might be, knowing how VW works.

The wobble is serious, and do not try to hide it by just replacing the steering damper. First place to check is the adjustment of the upper control arm end play. Next check for worn tie rod ends or ball joints, then adjust your wheel bearings. Also check for loose bolts at the steering gear, Pitman arm, and rubber coupler to the steering wheel shaft. Any of these things can cause play and create a wobble.

Hubcaps are the same as all 4-lug VWs of the day. Not sure of the measurement, but any of the style that fit over the wheel nibs will fit.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 type 3 squareback bumper rubbers Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

The wobble is serious, and do not try to hide it by just replacing the steering damper. First place to check is the adjustment of the upper control arm end play. Next check for worn tie rod ends or ball joints, then adjust your wheel bearings. Also check for loose bolts at the steering gear, Pitman arm, and rubber coupler to the steering wheel shaft. Any of these things can cause play and create a wobble.

To add to what Phil said, I'd also check the lug bolts for tightness, and IF you're running the same size tires on all 4 corners, maybe rotate the fronts to the back, and see IF you still have the wobble. I only say that, as I had a vibration on my 65 Notch, that would come in at about 52 mph, and go away at 60. After I replaced the tires (due to weather checking), the vibration disappeared. This was after I replaced the rotors, ball joints, tie rod ends, and steering dampener, along with tightening up the sway bar adjustment. Nothing really fixed it, until I replaced the tires. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
blackdog1999 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3kg wrote:
I noticed one in this thread:

This is not an oil filter. It is connected to the fuel pump so it is a fuel filter.
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's an oil filter. Type 3 bypass filters return oil through a hollow stud in the breather housing mount. Follow the other hose and you'll see that it connects to the oil cooler via a fitting at the oil pressure switch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 106 of 129

Jump to: