Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing the 1600 air cooled engine
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Timing the 1600 air cooled engine Reply with quote

Buddy has a engine that we are trying to time .I no of the mark on the flywheel pully to line it up with the case.The problem is that when I try and bring the mark to the case halves it wont stay going .I have a timing light and it runns not bad with the mark about two inches to the left of the case center.Should all the vacum lines be off to time it ?
another thing I 'd like to ask is what is the maximum advance I can run on a stock engine ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nicksan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it at top dead center before you tried to time it?
Is the timing light hooked up to the right wire? rear right side, number one.
Dont know about the vacumm, I have 009 but I would assume the vacumm line should be on to time it:?:
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

run it up until it pings under full load and then back it down 2 or 3 degrees. always worked for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vicsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Timing Reply with quote

Check out these pages on timing and the links. -> Ing. Timing How to Set Information <> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/ingtiming.htm
Ing Timing Tip & NO/NO <> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/settingingtiming.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vicsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Timing Reply with quote

Check out these pages on timing and the links. -> Ing. Timing How to Set Information <> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/ingtiming.htm
Ing Timing Tip & NO/NO <> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/settingingtiming.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I static time it at about 7 degrees BTC then use a vacuum gauge and set it to show good vacuum at a high idle. I use a timing light to see that the vacuum advance works. Just never measured it. As long as I have good vacuum gauge reading thourghout the range, I don't care what the number is.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: