Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epbooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been putting in some good hours the last few days getting a few layers of rattle can primer off my 57 Bus.
The methods ive use so far are acetone and graffiti remover (Goof off brand.) Both are very slow, but dont damage the OG paint at all.

Will need some paint blending on nose, but overall im very happy with it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thinking about trying some over cleaner, anyone have any recommendations seeing my particular situation?
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

given how nice the result is using your current acetone/ graffiti remover, I would carry on with that. I doubt oven cleaner is going to be faster.

If its not going fast enough for you, adding heat helps greatly increase the aggressiveness of the acetone. Leave the bus out in the sun, or use a heat gun to warm up small sections of the panel before scrubbing (acetone is highly flammable so take proper measures). maybe try 000 wool to knock the majority off, then come back with 0000 wool. soaking the wool in acetone also makes it more effective by keeping the wool clean and unclogged, therefore cutting faster and longer.

What youve done so far looks great, keep at it!
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

180 grit and some elbow grease. Very Happy

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys use for primer for those bare metal spots? I have the older reddish/brownish primer. I kind of like the patina so I'm not sure if I'm going to color match the paint, but I definitely don't like the bare metal being exposed.
57chop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graffiti remover worked well for me, i let it set for a few mins and hit it with a pressure washer.
austinb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I took a swing at removing the white paint on my engine lid, to see how removing the rattle can white on my bus would go. I'm not sure I like my progress since it is so splotchy and I feel like I'm stripping too much!

Under the white is a pearl color, then under that is what looks like is something kind of CLOSE to the OG paint of Arizona Yellow but maybe a shade darker, and then under that is the Arizona Yellow. ( I can't really tell if the lighter yellow is a faded arizona yellow, or what. I'd love anybody else's opinions if they can tell from my pics. )

Using graffiti remover, fine steel wool, and heat gun. I heat the panel a bit, spray graffiti remover, let it sit for about 5-10 seconds, then steel wool it for little till the white comes off, then spray w water bottle and wipe clean.

Some spots, the white comes off, and the paint below appears. Some spots, the white comes off, but so does the og paint. (You can see a couple of primer spots on the left hand side of the engine lid. On the right side,there is primer / body work.)

why so splotchy? anything to do besides cuss when I burn through the OG paint by mistake?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=619771

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=24562
youngbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my big doesn't look horrible but it has some bubbling in the current paint job I can see its red underneath also the door jambs inner doors and the underside of the hood and Decklid are still the original red..I want to reveal the original paint but I'm scared I will uncovover some ugly rust and bondo. I know the front fenders aren't original so I will have to color match with those. Do you think it's worth it?

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on that photo - No
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seaking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First - apologies for appearing here with the wrong make of car. In my defense, the engine is in the right place and it is air-cooled. Smile

This car was primered in about 1971 and then sat for 30 years. I've had it for the past 13. The primer is degrading and some of it washes off every time I clean the car. It's now to the point where the original maroon is peeking through and the original strokes of the paint gun are apparent in many places.

I've tried the graffiti remover (a brand I can get locally) and while it does work, it's dead slow. A person at a cruise night suggested wet sanding with medium and fine-grit drywall sponges, and that has been very effective. This (roof and trunk lid) represents about 10-12 hours' work.

I have two questions for the experts here:

How are you handling panel edges? The aftermarket paint is thicker here. I'm thinking this may be the place to go back to the stripper rather than burning through the original paint by oversanding. (After a couple accidents I'm now leaving about 1/4" around the edge of every panel.)

Where bare metal has been exposed, how are you protecting it? I've found a couple places where the PO sanded to metal and put a tiny blob of putty prior to adding the primer. I want to leave these alone until I'm ready to tangle with them. Is wax enough?

This was hiding under a bit of rust-covered putty.
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiring thread!
I have been using graffiti remover and 0000 steel wool. Feels like quick progress that I've made so far. A couple hours (maybe 4) and I have the front nose panel almost completely OG.
KingofBoulder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Paint on Fiberglass Reply with quote

Does easy-off or stripping compounds damage the original color on the fiberglass?
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

started stripping back the red. good-off graffiti remover with steel wool. It's slow going but the results are going to be killer!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KingofBoulder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Thanks.....I will try it first
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I've just finished stripping my bus using acetone, steel wool, and plastic razor blades. Have about 60hrs into it. I have a build thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644856
Looking for some advice, hoping more people will see it here.

Started with this:

After stripping she looks like this

Curious to know what others opinions are on how much touch up to do? My plan is to do some metal work next, cargo rocker, dog leg work, as well I'll straighten up the nose as best as I can. After that I'll start on the old body work spots that are showing. I'm thinking leave the roof, just wax it. Not sure about the light blue, it's so thin I don't think it's blend able. Trying to keep as much og paint as possible but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so having a hard time deciding what to fix and what to leave.....
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

work on finding a paint match while you repair the metal. it takes longer than what you might think. Once you get some paint, try your hand at blending what you have. Decide after that if your happy with the blending, or it would be better off with a repray int he OG colors. I would vote for a respray at this point, given the different (non VW) shades of blue. I think the blend would turn out alright actually. no harm in trying.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The_Captainn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Heres my 59 Mango. Found in New Mexico and in the process of getting it back to the go paint.

GFK WORLDWIDE

1959 Standard Microbus
1961 Double Cab
1963 Caravelle Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iwaisurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

GFKCHRIS wrote:
Heres my 59 Mango. Found in New Mexico and in the process of getting it back to the go paint.

What method did you use to strip off that top layer of paint? I've got a 69 bug and I tried using the graffiti remover with a steel wool pad and it takes forever and also strips down to bare metal real easily.
The_Captainn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

What method did you use to strip off that top layer of paint? I've got a 69 bug and I tried using the graffiti remover with a steel wool pad and it takes forever and also strips down to bare metal real easily.

I used Klean Strip Aircraft stripper. It comes in a aerosol can and i let it sit for just maybe 2-3 mins and it starts eating away the paint very quickly and it starts bubbling up. I just do a small area at a time and once the paint is bubbling up i use a metal razor blade and scrap it off. You have to be very careful not to cut in to deep because you will burn the paint. Once i was down to the mango or the layer just above it i wet sand the rest with 600-2000 grit sandpaper. Takes lots of time and patience. lol Good luck!

GFK WORLDWIDE

1959 Standard Microbus
1961 Double Cab
1963 Caravelle Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63vdubbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Everyone here got me inspired to do this!, and I really didn't like the olive green. Not sure why you would want to hide the turkis color.

I'm in the process and it's coming along, but it takes time! I noticed that the graffiti remover works a lot faster if you heat up the panel first, then spray the chemical and gently rub it down.

The PO sanded down the original color for the new paint job so it's thin. I'm thinking of spaying flat clear or semi gloss clear. Has anybody here sprayed clear after getting it down to the OG color?
getgeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I gave up and now using wet sanding instead of easy off,graffiti remover or acetone and steel wool.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 53

Jump to: