Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sad Ending
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlaskaWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Sad Ending Reply with quote

Firstly let me say thanks to eveyone for their help with all my questions regarding me dropping the engine and transmission. I like to say it was a great success but just for a short time.

After my two month task of removing fixing and reinstalling my engine, it ran great and the new ball joint in the nose cone of the tranny helped her find first and second gear. We took her for a celebratory ride just down the road for ice cream after dinner. She ran great. I could smell the new paint on the muffler, but otherwise there was no issues. We were so happy. We went back in the house. I was playing Brio trains with my three year old when I looked out to see smoke coming from the engine compartment.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=78138

It was already too late. Fuel was flowing from her on fire. Water would only make it worse. On top of this, she was trying to turn over from the heat and since she was in gear when parked, she walked herself forward. LUCKILY my Subaru Outback was parked there and stopped her. IF NOT she would have travelled down the 500 foot ridge into a huge forest of VERY dry spruce and lit the whole thing up. I chocked the wheels and moved the Subie very quick. Nothing else to do but wait.

Fire Dept took over a half hour to make it and we just sat there and cried. ALL my gas lines were clamped but probably one old hose must have cracked with the pulling the engine out.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=78139

She was ALOT of fun and we had alot of great memories of our one summer enjoying her. Only wish we could of enjoyed her more this year. We are obviously thankful we were not in her when this happened.

Thanks again to everyone and please take the time to check your fuel hoses. This includes your vent tubes behind the firewall.

Paul

Rest In Peace - Choco Bus Jan 24th 1978 - June 28th 2004.
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad so sorry to hear of your misfortune.......i wish you were in Pa, i'd give you a bus. did your eplace any of your fuel lines while the engine was out? i hope this doesn't deter you from having at another bus.....again, that sucks....sorry.

dave

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

AlaskaWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not replace any of the lines. I thought they all looked OK. I am also thinking it had to do with my vent tubes. This was a post I had mentioned it in the past:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74683&highlight=

Maybe someday we will get another bus. Maybe if we ever return to the lower 48. Shipping and availability was the killer up here. Took alot of fun out of it when you had to wait so long for stuff. Oh well. Thanks for the note Dave.
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Owwww! Reply with quote

What a damn shame!

I guess, like you say, it could have been worse but that's not much consolation. I hope you'll try again someday soon and re-join this group of owners and admirers of the Type II.

My condolences to you and your family on the loss of an experience.
Let us know when you're "aircooled" again.

Paul in New York
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your Bus....makes me wanna cry watching it burn. I couldn't imagine being there in person and watching it....just goes to show you, ya can't tell if a line is rotted internally or not, even a hose that looks good can let go on ya at any time. For the low cost and little time involved, especially with the engine out, REPLACE THOSE LINES!!!! I replaced all the lines and clamps when I had my engine out last year, even the ones for the vents and the ones on the engine....best thing I ever did!! For the steel line that runs across to the fuel pump, I used a piece of steel brake line and cut the flares off of it, looks just like brand new!!

Again, sorry for your loss, terrible to see all your work go down the tubes like that...just awful
71surfbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I`m so Sorry, just to see the picture makes me sick. Hope to see you in the Samba Post in the furture. It looked so clean before.
Best Wishes Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
orangeeyesore
Samba Bammer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry....

As it says, who have you got as a quote in your signature line and why?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlaskaWesty wrote:
I did not replace any of the lines. I thought they all looked OK. I am also thinking it had to do with my vent tubes.

Once the old hoses that are barely fuel worthy are disturbed by inspection they are no good anymore because the rubber has gone hard and cracks.

I'm very sad to hear that this happened to you. It must be a tough loss to have to bear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those photos are very sobering. This may be the wrong comparison but I had a similar reaction to your pics as I did the recent beheadings. Whether it breathes or chugs we are all alive.

I feel for your loss.
tellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I am so sorry to hear of your loss, but glad to hear that you and yours weren't physically injured by the tragedy.

If there's anything salvageable from your ride, maybe you can install it on your next bus so some small part of the choco-bus will live on. Smile
1974 Standard Beetle

www.dallasaircoolers.com
www.aircoolers.org
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am at a loss for words, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man Paul.....that is just heartbreaking to see. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Really sorry to hear about your loss, especially after all the recent work that you had done to it. It was such a good looking Westy. Don't let it get you down though it could have been much worse as I'm sure you know.

May another better running even cleaner bus be in your near future Smile. If you are ever down this way look me up, we'll go bus shopping. Wink

VW Campmobile, it goes on vacation with you.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:crazyeyes: Sad

How horrible!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul--Really sorry you lost Choco. I know how attached you can get to one of these things. It's not just the fixing it up with tlc, it's also all good times with it. It'll happen again for you. Good Luck
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
1979westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That is truly, truly horrible. I am so sorry to see that after all your hard work this should happen. I'm glad no one was physically hurt, though. Don't give up on the dream, man. Somewhere out there is another bus for you...
Eric

1979 Deluxe Campmobile (quickly rusting away)
33K miles when bought, now at 61K
Proud Member #2 SBS (Stock Bus Society)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply horrible....
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all feel your pain. Tough break.

You did well there though. You learned a lot doing all of the work in there under sometimes not the easiest of conditions over the last while. I looked at some of your early posts and it is evident that you and your bus had come a long way in a short time.

Probably the best thing about these buses is that they teach you something about you. How you develop patience, the ability to reason stuff out, and how to respect the needs of a machine. Plus a lot of it is the discipline to follow directions when you have to. That is probably the best thing about these buses, they teach you a discipline and respect.

I think it was John Muir who said, "Treat your ass well, for it bears you."

You are hooked now though. We will see you back here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always look for the positive side of things- my glass is always half full, so this means that you now have the pleasure of looking for a replacement. I know it will be hard to replace Choco, but that elation of scanning the samba and, gulp, e-bay, is a lot of fun in its self. Now you are an expert on busses and know exactly what to look for in one. If I had it to do all over again, knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't buy my bus again (in its original state), and I'd probably throw another $500-1000 in and get one with nicer this and that- you all know what I mean.
Now you can look for a syncro- if you want to cross over to the other side, and have a ton of $$$$.

I suppose you only had liability insurance on it, so you won't be getting a check. Can you claim it under your home owners policy?
IndyVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad there were no injuries. Keep your head up - there's always tomorrow.
marsmensch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences that's a real bummer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: