Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Bug - Cal Look One Piece Windows - Hard ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dumb Butt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: 1967 Bug - Cal Look One Piece Windows - Hard ? Reply with quote

I was checking out my doors and I noticed that in order to install a one piece window kit, I would need to cut a tab of some sort in the door?

That true??

also if I have to cut that tab in the door right next to the wing window - does the door become weak at any point?

Also anyone who has installed them - was it hard? Any problems with them? Tricks to installing them? I can use my stock requlator right?
vw68autobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: One piece windows... I don't recommend them... Reply with quote

color=blue]
Yes You do make the door weaker... and You have to take the door stop arm that stops the door from going too far when open, off, otherwise it will break the glass with the window down... the 1967 double window winder mechanism is the correct one for the modification..
One of the locals here, converted His Beetle to one piece windows, then after 12 months , converted it back to standard quarter windows...
My Son also fitted them to his oval window Beetle...

I don't like them personally, as there is only one bailey channel for the glass to run up & down in.... Its NOT a good system... I would recommend sticking with 1/4 windows....
Lee -
http://community.webshots.com./user/vw68autobug
[/color][/b]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one piece are crap, take it from me i have them.. Embarassed
offroad_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, if you really want one peices ill trade you... i dont like them. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw68autobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: One Piece windows are No Longer the In thing... disregard-- Reply with quote

color=blue]
I believe they are No Longer in Fashion....
they are NOT functional.... 1/4 windows are...
If You Never Use Your 1/4 windows.... You might like them...??

If You do use Your 1/4 windows.... You will nOT like them....

and don't forget You Must disconnect the door strap that stops the door from going too far.... as they break the glass, if You open the door with the window down....

Lee -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
[/color][/b]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71bugmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have them on my 71 and they are kool but they rattle alot and when you roll them up they dont sit rite in the frame and you have to push them while u roll up the window, save time and dont put them in!
vw68autobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: One Piece windows are No Longer liked.... the fad is over.. Reply with quote

color=blue]
I believe You have the correct window winders to suit one piece windows.
Just remember that the doors were never designed to take one piece windows, and that is why they rattle and can jam up when winding up or down, as there is NO track for the window to slide in - at the front of the door... its just a fluke that they do fit... much less work properly...

By the look of the replies.... They are NOT a good idea...

I was going to install them in MY 68 Beetle but was talked out of it...
Now I know all the pitfalls....

Keep Your quarter windows... they do not stick or jam or rattle..

Lee --[/color][/b][/i]
bigred1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this post is relatively old but I don't agree with the negativity of those who won't try! I agree if you use the 1/4's then keep them but the one piece is a good setup if you make it! For those thinking of it consider this, The reason why most dont have the rail in front of the window is because nobody put one in! It's called custom work! If your not up to it buy a finished car. And as for the door stops, why dog them when they make perfectly good replacements for doors with one piece windows! My windows work great, I know I'm not the first to think of installing a track on the front! Don't dog it unless you tried it! Especially if you have replaced your quarter several times because of a break in! A quarter window is like a gift with a big bow on top!
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I count four who tried it and didn't like it, make this five!
vw68autobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I cannot remember seeing many New Beetles with one piece windows apart from a 1960 show car that has been done over here.
its excellent work by a first time VW owner. I haven't seen the closeup detail as yet, but I did notice the one piece windows in the photos.

You are correct, that they need a front bailey channel [felt] support and naturally I have seen much better outer scrapers in recent years. Before the black outer scraper was either straight across or it bent up around the corners [correct way IMHO] and they won't go round the corners nice and neat... there are many show car like this in Australia.

I couldn't imagine driving a beetle without 1/4 windows...

Lee in Australia
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally love them. I wouldn't have a bug without them!
I've never had a problem with them but I use a lot of window urethane when installing the kit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigman wrote:
I've never had a problem with them but I use a lot of window urethane when installing the kit.

X2!!
My door is not any noticeably weaker because of it, and I don't have that annoying wind buffet with my windows down. I used a BugPack kit with the good seals, and 65-68 model regulators (you already have them!). Of course I wouldn't try to talk the "purists" into it, but if they are installed correctly they work great (24 years for my '72 Baja's!).
vw68autobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: one piece windows fitted correctly - Reply with quote

wbrown45 wrote:
craigman wrote:

X2!!
My door is not any noticeably weaker because of it, and I don't have that annoying wind buffet with my windows down. I used a BugPack kit with the good seals, and 65-68 model regulators (you already have them!). Of course I wouldn't try to talk the "purists" into it, but if they are installed correctly they work great (24 years for my '72 Baja's!).

Hi
wbrown45 & craigman

I agree if they are fitted correctly and You like them , then no problems, and I must admit the 1/4 windows are a problem when it comes to break ins. But I have a good car alarm [and a large Very bright flashing Blue light in the dash] and mostly My car is in a shed with 5 dogs in the yard and some of these dogs aren't people friendly.. lol

Its much harder to fit one piece windows in Australia as the late model double regulators were only in the 1968 model beetles
[apart from earlier models] .. so, the double regulators are like Gold $$$
I agree that You need to modify things to make them work Perfectly and one piece windows is one of those things.. its a modification and that means modifying..
not forgetting that many people have problems with normal window winders and have snapping off window winder handle and jamming glass problems
I Use My 1/4 windows every time I drive My car and I even open them when I have the heaters on, to let the heater work correctly/better.

One other reason I don't like one piece windows, Embarassed Mad is that a long time local VW owner had fitted one piece windows to His 1976 Beetle [bought it new] and then when He wanted to change back about 2002 He came looking for some 1/4 windows, I don't know what He did with His, and I gave Him two. When restoring My beetle I found they were the good 1/4 windows I had bought for My beetle...???

LEE in Australia
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed them in my first Bug back in 1998... They fit the look of the car back then. The biggest prob I had was the regulator being too weak for the larger, longer glass. The post on the vent windows helps keep stock glass in place. Without it and with heavier and longer glass in place the regulator will droop a bit after time and you'll just love the regret. And putting the metal piece back in the doors typically requires new doors Twisted Evil Step back, take a breath, and realize this isn't the greatest custom idea. But it's your car so go about it as you will.
popeye46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: one piece windows Reply with quote

I love my one piece windows..... I installed them myself and as the saying goes it is custom work, which means that you have to create a way for it to work. I also installed power windows and the doors are suicide to boot. they do not leak they have never rattled and I have had zero problems with them. I just figure the people that have them and don't like them or just don't like them are clueless about making them fit right and thus have nothing but problems with them.....I was born and raised in Los Angeles and love the custom work that comes from the west coast many custom innovations started there and remain popular everywhere even today. So before you tell someone not to do some custom work on their car try to advise them to find the correct way to do it........everyone is entitled to do their car their way
manolito vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: one piece windows Reply with quote

I have one piece windows. They could tell me how to put door stops? We appreciate if you could post images.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the look of the one piece windows but, vent windows are nice to drive with. Having said & read what everybody else said I guess you want what you want. You will have to loose the door check straps. At one point you could buy a cable loop thing to replace the strap, not too sure if it is still available. It was a loop of cable 1/8th" with a flat washer in steel & a rubber washer. I do not have a picture, sorry Crying or Very sad . Do not toss out your old parts, you might want them later.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wing windows do restrict resting your arm on the open door window. Evil or Very Mad
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: one piece windows Reply with quote

manolito vw wrote:
I have one piece windows. They could tell me how to put door stops? We appreciate if you could post images.

This is what I have in my car . . . http://www.mooreparts.com/1601-AC837800/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: