Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust gaskets
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Exhaust gaskets Reply with quote

I'm replacing my muffler with a new one that bolts directly to the heater boxes and the gaskets I got are too big. The ones I bought were part# 043-251-509 Gasket-Exhaust Manifold to Afterburner Pipe & Heater Boxes. The problem is that while the bolt holes line up perfectly, the center hole is too large. What I'm looking for is a center hole of 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 outside diameter. The bolt holes are 2 5/8 apart center to center. Any ideas?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it seals, I doubt it matters much...

But if you want 'em perfect, you'll probably have to make your own. Most flaps sell gasket material, and some even have the aluminum clad exhaust stuff.

Mark carefully, cut with scissors, and voila!

I've made intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and many carb gaskets over the years.
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that it doesn't seal, I'm getting air out of them. Maybe I'll have to make them myself.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust gaskets Reply with quote

MrBreeze wrote:
I'm replacing my muffler with a new one that bolts directly to the heater boxes and the gaskets I got are too big. The ones I bought were part# 043-251-509 Gasket-Exhaust Manifold to Afterburner Pipe & Heater Boxes.

Those are the right ones according to the part number. The last ones I bought from BB were made by Elring.

Quote:
The problem is that while the bolt holes line up perfectly, the center hole is too large. What I'm looking for is a center hole of 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 outside diameter. The bolt holes are 2 5/8 apart center to center. Any ideas?

The hole in the gasket is bigger than the hole in the pipe. If you are getting leaks it means that the mating surface of the two flanges is not flat enough. There is another gasket 025-251-235 that looks similar. Did you get that by mistake?

The easiest fix for a 85-78 exhaust leak is to double up the gaskets between the heaterboxes and the extractor muffler.

You're lucky the bolt holes line up. That's the worst aspect of this muffler replacement job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if you have done your best to condition the mounting flanges, some sanding with a medium grit paper on a flat glas surface, and new gasket and still get a leak.

Would it be better to lightly coat the mounting flanges with "copper plus" RTV (intermittant 700* temps) , or the "liquid copper" stuff, or perhaps the "exhaust putty" and then do the re-clamp to get it to seal correctly?

I am futzing with the 79 CA only hightly funky exhaust/heater box system. Lot of connections to make and I have to tighten them all at the same time. I really don't like to double gasket stuff.

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banana3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put an extractor on my '77 that I got from the Bus Depot. It can with paper gaskets, but I talked to the guys there and they sent me a set that was a metal covered type. They worked great. I also used a larger bolt than what came with it and really tightened it up well. So far no leaks. maybe you should give them a call.

I haven't been able to figure out what the small tube that comes off the one side is, though. I didn't see anything that it should hook up to.

Does anyone know what I should do? Seal it off?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banana3 wrote:
I haven't been able to figure out what the small tube that comes off the one side is, though. I didn't see anything that it should hook up to.

It goes to an EGR filter which goes to a pipe connected at a hole in the engine tin (look for yours) and then goes to an EGR valve at the plenum. EGR stands for exhaust gas recirculation.

Quote:
Does anyone know what I should do? Seal it off?

Cut a small rectangle from some bar stock, drill a pair of holes and bolt a piece of gasket material in between it and the EGR port on the exhaust.

Do you have the EGR valve on the engine still? It is blocked off?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
So, if you have done your best to condition the mounting flanges, some sanding with a medium grit paper on a flat glas surface, and new gasket and still get a leak.

I think you must mean put something flat up to the flange.

A new exhaust should have flat flanges. The flanges on the heater boxes are usually the ones that are more difficult to deal with especially the ones at the back where the temps are 200-300F hotter. Straightening the old flanges literally requires a blacksmith which is why double gaskets as so much easier.
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue with the heater boxes and the muffler matiing surfaces not being perfectly flat. I used muffler mender putty and applied it with a spackle knife on the flanges and put enough to squeeze out when tightened and make sure it is enough to fill the imperfections in the metal and make the flange flat then I bolted the muffler to the heaterboxes and tightened it and allowed it to sit overnight and dry. When you tighten the muffler to the exchangers you will see the muffler mender squeeze out excess where the surfaces are not mating perfectly, let it dry then scrape the excess that overhangs off the flanges and its a perfect seal. It has worked for me on a couple of my previous busses as well and I have never had leaks further down the road.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Currently looking for 62 Double Cab, 66 Westfalia Parts!
(Rear seat and pedestal, bumpers, mirrors)

http://www.baycountrymotors.com

My 87 Syncro Westfalia 1.8t Restoration

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418933

"Do it the right way, or you'll pay for it"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exhaust putty works well (double gaskets or not). The type that requires the engine to run to cure it is problematic if your leaks are really bad.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79 Cal engines do not have EGR valves.
banana3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ratwell for the info on the ERG valve. The question is: Should I seal it (both at the engine and the extractor) or should I try to hook it up properly? Does it matter in the way that it runs?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not used to driving with it and hook it up you'll notice a big lag just off idle as the valve opens and dumps in oxygen depleted exhaust. I personally hate driving with them.
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been advised that it is much better to seal it off (very well) because if it ever develops a leak, it can wreck your engine pretty quickly. It's been a while since I was given the advise, but I think if it leaks, you start to run way too lean, does that sound correct?

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's another vacuum leak potential source. Whether or not the valve is blocked off, there can be no leaks.
Dan Inghram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the holes being too big, I got some gasket material from napa good to 900 deg. and made one for each side of the metal gasket with a smaller center hole worked ok. before I tryed mufler mender paste and the high temp rtv without much luck.
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a search on this topic, found the same problem. The gaskets on the 2.0 from the Bus depot have an opening too big. The bolt pattern is right, but not enough gasket for the surface. I also think they are not thick enough. Anybody Know where I can get Hi Temp gasket material? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any feedback on the type of muffler OP posted. I am about to purchase one. I've read there is a noticeable difference in quality between the Italian ANSA and the aftermarket ones. I can get an ANSA but they are $300. "NOS aftermarket" are $179. Bus Depot has them for ~ $120.
I was leaning toward the Bus Depot one but I was wondering if anyone who has run one can offer any advise. I have an almost complete stock 2000cc Fuel injected engine. I plan on re-installing the EGR filter with this muffler. all egr components are present on the engine now, except for the filter itself.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Does anyone have any feedback on the type of muffler OP posted. I am about to purchase one. I've read there is a noticeable difference in quality between the Italian ANSA and the aftermarket ones. I can get an ANSA but they are $300. "NOS aftermarket" are $179. Bus Depot has them for ~ $120.
I was leaning toward the Bus Depot one but I was wondering if anyone who has run one can offer any advise. I have an almost complete stock 2000cc Fuel injected engine. I plan on re-installing the EGR filter with this muffler. all egr components are present on the engine now, except for the filter itself.

That's not an original replacement muffler the OP posted. That style deletes the crossover pipe.

If you are talking original muffler the ones I've got from busdepot come beat to hell and leak. Zero warranty yet they were nice enough to offer me an exchange only but it came looking like someone took a bat to it. Still waiting for a good muffler from them.... Ansa.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what info I've collected on the "extractor" or "eliminator" exhausts like the OP posted, I've learned that at one time the "original" ones (not OEM factory) were of good quality, and heavy duty construction. Then of course the EMPIs of the world come along and make garbage versions of a good design. I've seen some at swaps and used ones with real thin flanges, light weight, etc. I know where I can get an original Italian made ANSA, and also some places I can get a no name aftermarket with no markings for $200 less. Bus Depot claims theirs is "best quality of aftermarket available" or whatever that means. If anyone has info on the quality and manufacturer of the BD one I would love to hear it. I've done a search and mostly what I found is that the fit is ok, the sound is different, the paint burned off...etc. Just wondering how they hold up and if it's worth it to spend the extra 200 beans.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: