Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I "buff" a spray can paint job?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: How do I "buff" a spray can paint job? Reply with quote

I did a touch up on my 76 Westy with the stock colors in a spray can from Bus Depot. I taped/masked some of the areas off, but I got lazy and just sprayed a few areas, so I have overspray around the area that looks crappy from an angle.
I also repainted the entire nose and would like to buff it to a nice mirror finish- or as close as I can get- but I don't know what to use or how to do it?
Most of the original paint is in good shape, but is a little hazt in a few areas, so the entire thing could use a once over with something.

So how do i do this? Walk me through. I can provide pics if needed.
Monsterbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to tackle this on because I tried it once. This worked for me because I used a spray can laquer, followed by laquer clearcoat. After a few good coats of clear, I sanded it with some 1200-1500 (wet) to knock down the peel and dryness common to spraycan jobs. After that, I hand rubbed it with some laquer polishing compound to bring up the shine.
shuvbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless it was catalized or laquer I wouldn't even try it
3Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what Monsterbeetle told you to do but might I suggest Meguiar's swirl remover on a foam pad (NOT WOOL). I did my glove box with a rattle can from Wolfsburg West and it turned out spectacular when I polished it.
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't have to be lacquer or hardened but regular rattle can paint should dry a couple of weeks, preferalby out in the sun, before you stat working on it. It hardenes by solvent evaporation and that takes a while. If you attack it too soon, you will have a mess.
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my body/paint books say you can't buff unhardened enamel. But what the heck, try a little inconspicuous spot and see what happens. Do let it dry as long as possible first, though.

Also, check the label on the paint can you used. If it says laquer, you're OK. The DupliColor line of paints, for example, are all or mostly all laquer. If the can label doesn't say, there may be a toll-free number you can call to ask the manufacturer.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: How do I "buff" a spray can paint job? Reply with quote

Go to autogeek.net and to the forums and read up. There is a lot of info and techniques to learn.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: