Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What else should be done with engine out?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelastliberal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: What else should be done with engine out? Reply with quote

I am getting my bus either tonight or tomorrow night. I am pulling the gas tank, so I am going to have to pull the engine, right? It'll be fun. Is there any maintainence that should be done while I have it out?

-Thanks
-Billy
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've never done it, I'm told that it is possible to pull the tank without dropping the engine. However, if you do pull it, it's a good time to clean out the engine compartment, check all the wiring, definitely replace the old, crusty fuel lines to prevent fires, and check out the clutch & throwout bearing for wear. If you've got the engine out and you need to replace the clutch, it's a perfect time. You can also see the cv boots a lot easier from there. Also the wiring to the tail lights if you have any issues. It's a lot easier to sit inside the empty engine compartment that have to try to wiggle in there around the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircoolfool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while you have your engine out, take a close look for leaks,clean everything you see, check around the oil cooler, the rear main, all the seals, anything that bolts on, or clips on. this is the best time to clean up the valve cover face on the head. thoroughly check all fuel lines or just replace them. clean the motor compartment, check the clutch,throwout bearing, and front main seal behind it. look at the cv joints too. get to know the bus up close.take your time . enjoy.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they said.

I am sure you have been to ratwells site on engine removal, gas tank re-hab, and fuel and vacuum line replacement.

http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/

Also a good time to check for crankshaft endplay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thelastliberal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I've been to Ratwell's site, and have the POR-15 fuel tank kit on the way (- the fuel stabilizer + the gallon size Marine Clean). I can't wait to drive this bus!!
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous. I get flaky rust in my fuel filter. Sad But pulling the engine and recon'ing the tank is out of the question for a while yet.

I'd replace every darn seal that's impossible (or nearly so) to get to when the engine's in. Especially oil cooler stuff.

Replace all rubber fuel lines and such since it's so easy to do now, and a real PITA to do when everything's back together.

Clutch etc. too.

How about doing the shifter bushings and such as well? Powdercoat tin? Paint engine compartment? Replace battery tray (you KNOW it's rusty)?

Arrgghhh... Hence the reason an engine drop isn't going to be in my near future unless I win the Lottery. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: