Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust removal pic opinions needed
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Rust removal pic opinions needed Reply with quote

what do you guys think I should do about these few holes i have in the ragtop section? I have a few holes I grinded and wirebrushed the rust off. some are in awkward areas. can I just weld the small holes closed and grind down to repair them or should I cut them out?

thanks
Leo
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Monsterbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only a few ways to properly eliminate rust. Cut it out like you suggested or sand/bead blast. From the pic, it looks like you might have trouble welding the areas shut, as the rust weakened surrounding metal is likely to blow out as you weld. A small handheld bead blaster (with a sheilding cup or boot to minimize the mess) will clean the area of all rust. The weak spots will most likely blow open with this method leaving the area "swiss cheesed". If its not too holely you can tack the holes shut. If it is, its cut out and patch time.

This being said (as the "correct" way to repair rust) you could always paint the area with POR 15 etc. Then smooth the holes with a USC product known as All-Metal. All-Metal is a metal reinforced body filler that is a good bit stouter then plain old mud. Hope this helps.
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I tried to fill the holes, only filled a few of them. I then tried to cut out a section. one little area was easy to do but another was almost impossible to reach to cut ou. I grinded it out and I'm going to use all metal in it. I'll them epoxy prime then paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: