Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

removing dents and door dings?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingd33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: removing dents and door dings? Reply with quote

Went to the local body shop to see about a couple of door dings removed and he referred me to a place that as he says "massages the dents out without touching the paint" The only thing that scares me is he said that they will not charge you if the paint gets cracked, Has anyone heard of this?I"m not crazy about the idea of cracked paint.
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called Paintless Dent Repair. You really don't have a lot to loose. If you have it done at a body shop, they will destroy the paint in the process and it will have to be repaired. If the PDR is successful, you just have a smooth car with no more hassles. I know a guy that does it for a living and I was impressed by a job he did on my wife's PT Cruiser. He got out a dent I was shure would require body work because it crossed a bodyline.
3Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDR is an effective way to remove small dings. However, I would try to get a test panel or inconspicuous spot to try it first. From what I was told, the PDR method was developed for the modern high strength steel bodies on today’s car. Your VW has much thicker metal making PDR potently less effective.
willz0072002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: hiya Reply with quote

hey guys...im a certified Paintless Dent Removal Tech, and paint +bodyman....and i can say that you will not be able to comletely have the dent removed with P.D.R. techniques...the dents could be pushed out to a degree, but the older sheetmetal does not have the flex and memory of newer composite metals..thus resulting in cracking..(also because of old paint)

I know any PDR shop in this area would not attempt to remove these..its mostly for new cars..good luck
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teetime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly no pro, but a body guy showed me a technique using the rounded, butt end of a screwdriver to get out a small but very noticeable ding that was on my rear fender. I let the car sit out on a nice hot day, so the metal was warm, and "massaged" the ding right out, (from behind) with no paint damage. Of course, results depend on the extent of the ding damage, but I have had great success with this method on my bug.

70 ghia
72 super 'vert
74 standard
kingd33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I will live with the dings, They are not that bad, just enough to irritate me.It's the original paint so would rather have the ding than any possible cracks.
Stevie Fierce
Samba Landscaper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not really sure i would worry about cracks. some of these paintless dent removal guys are good. do some more homework and find a reputable guy. these guys use some cool tools and trickery to remove dents and i've seen some spectacular results.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys. willz0072002 is right! There is a big differenz between the old and new body panels. But still it is possible. I just did it on a T3 trunklid. I had a "dent" 6"x2" and about 3/8 deep. It was in a bad spot and since i was not able to use a hammer and did not like to use a stud welder i had to push it out. It worked out ok, sure it needs a paint job and minimal bondo too. but stiil much better compared to use only bondo. :wink:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: