Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing Axle VS. IRS !! Beat this to death..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1979westie wrote:
That and Ralph Nader, of course.
Eric

As my dad used to say while shaking his fist's "F#%king RALPH NADER!!"
steelvisions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: IRS to Swing axle Reply with quote

I don't know what I have, how do I tell? Just getting started in VW's, and I just bought a 68 Baja for $250.00. It doesn't sit very high in the back, yet the tops of the wheels are pointed way out. Doesn't look right to me. But I just don't know the difference between the two, and not finding any pictures to help me. Frustrated in Colorado. Twisted Evil but Cool
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go under and have a look at the rear axles.

If you have a rubber boot on each end of each axle, you have an IRS. If you only have a rubber boot on the inboard ends of the axle, you have a swing axle.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1979westie wrote:
Ktwizza wrote:
Quote:
It says something like another automakers use of the swing axle suspension not a serious problem like the Corvair because the suspension is not overloaded in the rear like the Corvair. The weight distribution and amount of weight over the rear wheels of a Corvair was the main problem.

Thanks for that. I never read "unsafe at any Speed", and I always found it funny that Nader picked on the Corvair and not the Volkswagens of the day (which were far more numerous). The extra weight makes sense. I know my father spun out more than once in his 62 Corvair. I guess they too went to an IRS setup after Nader's book, but apparently the court of public opinion had already cast a ruling. Very Happy Smile Sad Shocked
Eric

There are a few reasons Nader attackd the Corvair before the VW. Mainly the Corvair was made by GM, a U.S. company. VW was made by a German company.

So at that time it was a LOT easier for him to attack the Corvair on it's home soil then it was to go after the VW.

One of the reasons the 67 VW's got the Z-bar, softer, lower torsion bars in the rear, higher and more postive camber up front was to try to band aide the ill effects of the swing axle giving them time to get the IRS changes made and into production. It made VW look as if they had actually dome something to address the problem before the axe dropped on them and they found themselves in the spot light.

Nader is a really strange guy and you can hate him all you want. But the reality is he has saved a lot of lives on the highways.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle Reply with quote

steelvisions wrote:
I don't know what I have, how do I tell? Just getting started in VW's, and I just bought a 68 Baja for $250.00. It doesn't sit very high in the back, yet the tops of the wheels are pointed way out. Doesn't look right to me. But I just don't know the difference between the two, and not finding any pictures to help me. Frustrated in Colorado. Twisted Evil but Cool

First, the topic SHOULD read Swing axle to double jointed axle.
The reason I say this is because both systems use a independent rear axle system or IRS for short. I can't stand misuse of terminology!
A picture is worth a thousand words and in it you will see both systems wheels move independent from each other to indicate IRS.
http://www.ipmotor2011.com/uploads/7/0/6/4/7064021/1323935199.jpg
Which is better for ride, control, handling??? double jointed IRS. Which system when raised, lowered or a normal ride height is better? Double jointed IRS. Why ?, because the contact patch of the tire remains more constant to vertical to the pavement geometry giving you better traction and control.
Which is stronger? In stock VW form the Swing Axle, but that's only because of design material and not the basic design. You can make a double joint system just as strong, you just need to design it that way. VW didn't make it's double jointed system as strong as it's older swing axle system.
A 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado at 4,500 lbs with a 425" 380hp engine and a Turbo Hydramatic 425 transaxle has double jointed axles that live almost forever as long as the boots are replaced as needed, usually at over 100k and those transaxles handle over 425 ft.lbs. of torque.
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Olds-toronado_engine_trans.jpg
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a interesting note I will post. BTW I have seen the early 1960 footage of testing Chevy Corvair, Ford Falcon and Plymouth Valiant. On the skidpad the Ford Falcon was the only car to roll over. Isn't it interesting how slander of any kind can live in the minds of people decades after the fact, even after the subject was exonerated. Here was NHTSA said;

The NHTSA results are remarkably simple when compared to Ralph Nader’s cataclysmic rhetoric. That’s how the truth usually is. Here is the verbatim conclusion.

The 1960-1963 Corvair understeers in the same manner as conventional passenger cars up to about 0.4g lateral acceleration, makes a transition from understeer, through neutral steer to oversteer in a range from about 0.4g to 0.5g lateral acceleration. This transition does not result in an abnormal potential for loss of control.

The limited accident data available indicates that the rollover rate of the 1960-1963 Corvair is comparable to other light domestic cars.

The 1960-1963 Corvair compared favorably with the other contemporary vehicles used in the NHTSA Input Response Tests.

The handling and stability performance of the 1960-1963 Corvair does not result in an abnormal potential for loss of control or rollover and is at least as good as the performance of some contemporary vehicles both foreign and domestic.
steelvisions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both, that definately helps. Now, what may seem a stupid question to you. In looking at it, (Which it is a swing), I noticed that there are no trailing arms. Is this a problem? I would seem so to me, however not sure if the swings have them, or if they have just been removed by the previous owner. This may be why he had me bring a trailer and not use a tow bar.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="drscope]

Nader is a really strange guy and you can hate him all you want. But the reality is he has saved aot of lives on the highways.[/quote]

BUT...when he ran for president as an independent and in the final days didn't throw his support to Gore, he essentially handed Bush the presidency. For that he can never be forgiven.

crvc
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crvc wrote:
[quote="drscope]

Nader is a really strange guy and you can hate him all you want. But the reality is he has saved aot of lives on the highways.

BUT...when he ran for president as an independent and in the final days didn't throw his support to Gore, he essentially handed Bush the presidency. For that he can never be forgiven.

crvc[/quote]

Well that's a matter of opinion. You know old Al doesn't like our old cars and would like nothing better than to have them all crushed for the sake of saving the planet.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelvisions wrote:
In looking at it, (Which it is a swing), I noticed that there are no trailing arms.

The rear spring plates combined with the single jointed swing axle form a triangle and act as the "control arms". This simple system with a minimum of parts was designed in the '30's so the car could be sold for under 1000 Marks.

It wasn't until 30 years later, ~15 million cars and much profit that they made a "Progressive Refinement" to the rear suspension by adding double jointed axles and rear control arms.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
steelvisions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, most informative! I appreciate it very much.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crvc wrote:
[quote="drscope]

Nader is a really strange guy and you can hate him all you want. But the reality is he has saved aot of lives on the highways.

crvc[/quote]

Shocked

Maybe gore should be crucified for not throwing his support to nader!
veedubfreak59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
steelvisions wrote:
In looking at it, (Which it is a swing), I noticed that there are no trailing arms.

The rear spring plates combined with the single jointed swing axle form a triangle and act as the "control arms". This simple system with a minimum of parts was designed in the '30's so the car could be sold for under 1000 Marks.

It wasn't until 30 years later, ~15 million cars and much profit that they made a "Progressive Refinement" to the rear suspension by adding double jointed axles and rear control arms.

This is why the swing axle is superior for an antique car. Less crap to replace Smile Also, it's a huge pita to put an "IRS" in an early car, and no one likes fat chicks.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veedubfreak59 wrote:
61SNRF wrote:
steelvisions wrote:

This is why the swing axle is superior for an antique car. Less crap to replace Smile Also, it's a huge pita to put an "IRS" in an early car, and no one likes fat chicks.

Early cars have IRS, just NOT double jointed IRS
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In stock form, IRS handles better in a bug, and a bus. Ive done both conversions in split window buses. Ive had more than one of each in bugs. IRS hands down, in stock form.

This should not discourage folks who have swing. I did a lot of research and found out how to make a swing a road handling beast!

1. 2-3" rear drop by using Z plates or drop plates
2. Kyb gr2
3. CB camber compensator= not the other style.
4. 25-25 1/2" rear tires
5. Rear toe to 0 or 1/8" toe OUT

This is all it takes. I actually run a little more air pressure than required and it does fine. 3/4" bar and caster shims up front helps. I actually like to rake the front down, even though it is supposed to be detrimental to have the front of a bug lower than the rear.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents worth. I think a lowered swing with all the negative camber looks rediculous jmho. So as I am restoring a 62, I have purchased 1985 1/2 944 trailing arms and I am converting the 62 to IRS so when I lower it, there will be very little camber. I expect it will make the swing guys ask "why doesn't that car have negative camber. I think this will be a less invasive mod as opposed to raising the tranny, because it can always go back to swing. It is a numbers matching car after all.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to inform folks on here, you can get away with very slight minimal negative camber if you flip your trailing arms as well. The UK guys have been doing this for years. My "how to mod vw suspension for high performance" book has this in there. I think James Hale did this one, by HP Books. Been a while since I looked at it.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to do that to my project but the 944 arms are aluminum or as they say in europe "Ala-arms" I could get the earlier 944 arms that are steel i suppose.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One modification we do on the lowered 911's is to raise the pick up point for the trailing arm about an inch. It's a GIANT help and you don;t have to do all that silly arm swap stuff.

Its something you may want to keep in mind when you do the bracket install to mount those 944 arms.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you call the pick up point, the location where the front of the arm mounts to the chassis? If so, I will remember that. That should be an easy adjustment
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: