Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Now what to do with the wheel wells
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Now what to do with the wheel wells Reply with quote

I have them all cleaned up but need to paint them. What should I use? I would do it the body color but thats a PITA to clean and some good $. Any ideas? And they need to be painted because some small bare spots.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
CPRcubed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be cheap, but how about something like Line-X (professionally sprayed-in truck bedliner material)? That's what I'd like to do for mine (someday Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ).

Cheers!
Chris W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of that. What I really want is a simular color to the body in there, but I don't want to pay a ton for it.
Viggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What abotu a can of that rubberized Rust-oleum texturizer stuff? I think that would stop the water, and you can get it in white which is close enough
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a place that sells the factory color in spray cans ( can't think of the place right this sec though Embarassed )

youove got them pretty clean... get a couple of cans of that paint... wipe them down with "wax and grease remover" tape off the rest of the car real good and spray them...

or if you have access to a small compressor and a touch up type gun a quart of PPG or other brand paint and materials will not set you back that much
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small compressor, but no gun.
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfsburgwest sells the factory paint in the can.
Chris W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to just go with gloss black. I was thinking of using POR 15. I have the front beam out now and would like to do under the tank and where the MC sits on both sides, also the back of the apron. It's dirty down there but not to bad, and no rust. What POR 15 products should I use on both areas and any tips would be great.

This is the other side. I was not as hard as i thought is was going to be.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go an automotive paint store and get 2 or 3 cans of paintable undercoating. Spray that under your fenders and wheel wells, let it dry over night. If you want it to stay the same color .Then see if the paint store can mix you some enamel paint in a rattle can of the paint code you need. And spray that over the undercoating. Is durable and wil stay glossy.

Too clean your areas. Wax and grease remover is great but if you cant afford it try usin Acetone it dries fast and wont hurt any thing that is catalyzed. It will wipe off rattle can primers and paints. It's about $9 a gallon from a paint store.

68' Vert
73BuzzBomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were near me, I would give you a good deal on Line-X. It can be sprayed in colors for a little more $. Check out the link below for some pics of my Bus and a Thing that we sprayed.
horatiocaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: paint them the cars color Reply with quote

scuff pad them clean, fix any minor dents/scratches make it clean then just paint with the color if the car it will be clean and shiney, you did the hard part you cleaned it, so now paint it.
nobrakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Zolatone it's tough and you can get a color that's a close match. When I built my airplane I used it in the cockpit and it looks great.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY HOW ABOUT POR15 THIS STUFF IS GREAT IT DOESNT CHIP OR PEEL AND PLUS ITS A GREAT RUST PROOFING SYSTEM I PUT IT IN MY 69 BUG AFTER INSTALLING NEW PANS AND OTHER NEW METAL IT COMES IN GLOSS BLACK AND I THINK OTHER COLORS ALSO JUST CLICK ON POR15.COM TO VISIT THERE SITE IT COST ABOUT 40.00 A QT BUT IT GOES A LONG WAY
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: paint them the cars color Reply with quote

horatiocaine wrote:
scuff pad them clean, fix any minor dents/scratches make it clean then just paint with the color if the car it will be clean and shiney, you did the hard part you cleaned it, so now paint it.

Exactly... the rest of the car looks very nice... carry that look over to the underside and be proud of all that prep you did.

I would only condsider the undercoating or bedliner if it is a true daily driver and gonna see alot of miles every year.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put about 3000 miles a year on the car, not all on a trailer. I wanted it painted, but before shows I did not want to have to clean it all up. I am going with paint able undercoating and then I will talk to my body guy about painting it. It's also a pain to get it painted because I have no front end in it so I would have to reassemble it, take it out to someone paint it and then assemble it and then do it all over again.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man you could do it yourself even with those 5 buck a pop spray cartridges that attach to the glass jars...

Get a quart of the color mixed up in single stage acrylic enamel and some reducer... tape the line off at the fender bolts... tape the gas tank rectangle off so you don't get overspray in the trunk area and cover the car with a thin plastic drop cloth taped down to the tape where you taped the fender wells off.

Well... do what you want it's yours, but I think it would look real nice matching the shine on the rest of the car.
Chris W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I don't want to happen is after putting some miles on the car to have to look under and see a bunch of rock chips. I like the idea of painting it, but want to do it right and not have to do it again. The back wells and underside of the fenders will be a PITA to clean up. Would everything have to be as clean as the front to get a good finish?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of gook were you having to clean off... just road grime or some other undercoating that was on there?

And what did you use to do the front?

Usually something like Purple power or Castrol Super clean ( don't get any of this on your good paint, or wipe/ wash off immediately) will get 90% of the shit off... and then bug and tar remover or other to get the rest off... then wet sand.

you could always just do the wheel wells and undercoat the fenders?

I like the undercoating or bedliner stuff, don't get me wrong. But your car looks like it deserves the paint treatment.
Chris W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
What kind of gook were you having to clean off... just road grime or some other undercoating that was on there?

And what did you use to do the front?

That’s exactly what was on the front I used a putty knife and a small propane torch. Heated it up and scraped it off. So what kind of thing were you talking about I could spray paint with that hooks to a glass jar. I have a small compressor. And would I need to use a primer?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: