Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

need a little help with paint
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neill in the uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: need a little help with paint Reply with quote

first off i have painted the lower half of my car with one part primer sanded it with wet/dry 800 to a good finish. and have painted the top coat on and it has covered real well a nice even colour the only problem is its a rough finnish on the paint to give you a idea how rough i would say it has the texture of 1200 grit wet/dry (you can laugh now if you want) Smile
if i sand it with 1200 wet/dry then use a cutting compound will it come out ok

i may have thined the paint out to much would this have caused the problem

thanks for your help and i have hit the search button
Chillkoot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to much thinner or to much distance between your gun and the panel..(more likely)
should wet sant and buff out.. but I would go to 2000G or higher...

Fiberglass is for boats... Rustoleum is for your lawn mower!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or possibly too fast a thinner like using a cool temp reducer when it is actually hot. Another thing to look for is that coverage does not alway mean you applied enough paint. You need the lighting so you can see the reflection of the light and make sure you achieved a full, wet coat. It should be dead smooth and shiny. Dry spots will looked covered straight on but will dry with a texture like you describe. If it is a solid color, you can probably color sand it out. If it is a metallic color, you will have to sand flat and reshoot. Sanding metallics cuts in to the metallic flakes and ruins the appearance of the paint as well as leaving them exposed for weathering.
Chillkoot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Jim wrote:
or possibly too fast a thinner like using a cool temp reducer when it is actually hot. Another thing to look for is that coverage does not alway mean you applied enough paint. You need the lighting so you can see the reflection of the light and make sure you achieved a full, wet coat. It should be dead smooth and shiny. Dry spots will looked covered straight on but will dry with a texture like you describe. If it is a solid color, you can probably color sand it out. If it is a metallic color, you will have to sand flat and reshoot. Sanding metallics cuts in to the metallic flakes and ruins the appearance of the paint as well as leaving them exposed for weathering.

I didnt think about reducers..I been painting in a booth for to long....

Fiberglass is for boats... Rustoleum is for your lawn mower!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neill in the uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help i think the problem was with the mix to much thinners thankfully its a solid blue
i am going to sand it down 600 wet/dry and start agian
thanks for your time in helping me
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: