Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

House of kolor
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigturkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: House of kolor Reply with quote

I've been doing bodywork and priming in PPG epoxy and omni primer surfacer and I really want to do an acrylic laquer paint job. Has PPG stopped producing laquer? Also, If I want to shoot House of Kolor laquer on top of my PPG epoxy, could I just use HOK sealer, would that prevent any problems with using two different paint systems?
Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck finding any Laquer in North America. As far as I know it is illegal to use on automotive fininshes for the past ten years. Unless your restoring a Ford Model A or something that origanlly had laquer on it when it was produced. Why would you want to use Laquer any way?
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayflex, the outfit that sells paint on eBay, is listing a dozen colors of lacquer now but the question is still,"Why would you want to use lacquer anyway?" Lacquer is OLD paint technology. It could be made to look beautiful with lots of work but was never very durable. With a modern BC/CC system you can achieve better results and it will stay that way a lot longer.
E-boyz67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use lacquer its whats called thermal plastic and not thermal set. Thermal plastic means that two things will make it flow, thinner and heat. You can spray the whole car with lacquer and after one year put some thinner on it and it will become back to its liquid state, or put some high heat and the paint will run off the car. Where as the thermal set, once the crosslinking process is complete it becomes solid and the only to remove it is either by paint remover or sanding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Monsterbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Jim is right. Lacquer is old, and to be honest, it sucks. We had to use it at the Corvette resto shop I worked at and everybody hated it. It has NO durabilty, has to be constantly polished/buffed to keep its shine and requires LOTS of coats. Our PPG supplier can still get it though. In the end, you can work urathane you can get the same depth and shine as lacquer and it will stay that way.
inksling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i duno, i have used lacquer on several cars and i kinda like it. all the lacquer avalible now-adays is photo reactive acrylic lacquer. its what i learned to paint with and to me still remains the easiest.

most of the cars you see painted in the 80's and early 90's have the paint falling off in patches, but i have seen a lot of old lacquer jobs from the 60's that still look good. it is a lot of work keeping them polished up though.

www.inksling.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: