Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zero Rust
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epitch1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Zero Rust Reply with quote

anyone know if Zero Rust is as good as por15 or rust bullet.
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything's better then POR-15
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that because of the tremendous prep time or is it really that bad? I used it and liked it . . . .

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremendous prep time, uncertainty if it will unstick weeks or months later, and it's the most expensive protection coating you can buy. Just my 2 cents. Yes it may work great, but there are alot better and cheaper products out there, that's all I'm saying.
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got ya! I wish i had investigated before I bought it . . but yes, TREMENDOUS prep time and costly too. I completely agree!

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
willz0072002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: well see if it works Reply with quote

i have used por 15-but just tried zerorust on some lighter areas...well see if it comes through my candy paintjob.....livin dangerously\
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubel Nick wrote:
Tremendous prep time, uncertainty if it will unstick weeks or months later, and it's the most expensive protection coating you can buy. Just my 2 cents. Yes it may work great, but there are alot better and cheaper products out there, that's all I'm saying.

It boils down to one thing; Do you want to take it to the metal or not? For floors I will always strip it to the bone, which means that preparation for POR or anything else is the same.

The only time you would be uncertain it would not stick is if you didn't apply it correctly.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just recieved my first quart of masterseries ct and the instructions seem very similar to por-15...Masterseries say that you CAN apply it to a roughened rusty surface, but then they go on and suggest that you clean it as best you can, degrease it, etch bare metal etc....

so i take it that, no you don't NEED to follow all the prep suggested by POR-15 but you'd be better of...and same goes for the other competitor products...comes down to the fact that there really is no easy way...esspecially if you want to be assured of a good bond

for those dealing with winter, MasterseriesCT say you can use on metal surfaces at air and surface temps above 32*F....POR-15 doesn't give an exact temp range in their instructions....i am happier with the price and instructions supplied with masterseriesct...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Levonbenelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a gallon of zero rust for $50 and the guys at the paint store told me it was a great product (after I decided to buy it) at first they were trying to push the por-15 on me...better profit margin. I've coated my pans and so far I'm satisfied....seems pretty solid (54 percent by volume to be exact)

Oh...and I have the pamphlet that came with it if you have any specific questions.
desrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEM makes a product called Rust Shield that can be purchased at your automotive paint stores. Works well. Comes in various colors and can be rolled, brushed or sprayed. It actually prevents rust from growing.
Stevie Fierce
Samba Landscaper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.masterseriesct.com

chuck also sells it on thesamba. i just ordered my first quart of primer and chassis black, as well as ag-111 (yellow) for my snow plow. i LOVED the results. i once painted a trailer with POR-15 and it was GARBAGE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naval jelly then etch primer all the way......anything that bonds directly to metal will prevent rust as long as the rust is removed first.....
epoxies arte good

ive used por 15 and wasnt that impressed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: