Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your most useful CHEAP tool?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: What's your most useful CHEAP tool? Reply with quote

Over the years I've built up a pretty nice collection of tools. Mostly Craftsman or Matco. But I'm surprised at what has been the MOSt useful: My $20 Kragen workbench:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The finest tool ever is the reversable screwdriver out of the factory toolkit. #2 is the little 13/10 mm wrench. Between the two of them there's not much you can't do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
original irish airhead!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid €40 for a really good quality 53 piece socket set, with a ratchet screwdriver, allen keys and all!
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAN! LOADED QUESTION! There are so many!

My case splitter - Getting Type 4 cases apart sometimes can be a pain!!! I actually beat on one for 2 days with a rubber mallet before it came apart! Shocked This neat little tool fits in the space left by the oil pump and as you turn the nut on the inside it pushes the case apart.

Extra Long Extra Strong magnet - great for pulling lifters out to check their condition and for grabing parts when they fall in tight spots, (like under some Kadron intakes!)

Empi rear Axel nut tool - Went from having to invite all my friends over to stand on a 20 foot breaker bar, to being able to whack it a few times and have it come right off!

5 pound sledge - for whacking on the Empi tool.

45 degree long needle nose pliers - nothing like them for taking off push rod tubes.

Distributer drive puller - I used to use the extra long extra strong magnet for this but found this tool to be 100 times better!

Blaster PB- the best can of spray penetrant you can by, I swear you could spray this stuff on anything and it would release it.

6mm allen socket - You ever tried to tighten the 6mm allen head bolts on CVs using a regular allen key? ITS A PAIN IN THE ASS! The socket makes life alot easier!

I am sure there are alot more I left out. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hazet brake adjusting tool I picked up at a swap meet for $5. Makes the job alot easier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 15mm head cylinder head nut.
Put it between the spring plate. and the spring plate stop, on a swing axle car, before you jack it up to replace the axle boots. The wheels won't de-camber when the car is raised, and makes sliding the new boot over the "wishbone" or "pickle fork" area a lot easier, plus, the boot can be installed in the position that it will be in most of it's life, that is, with the weight of the car on the suspension.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the little grabber claw thing. It's great for holding and starting nuts in those hard to reach pllaces. Also can't forget the Mechanix Gloves!!!!
kavikhahn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A .005/.007 go-nogo feeler gauge for setting the valves. Makes finding the elusive .006 easy.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a six inch length of scrap 2x4. combination wheel chock, bodywork dolly, mini- workbench for drilling holes in sheetmetal sitting on your lap, backer for drilling through sheetmetal on a car, excellent for seating cylinders during engine builds, acts as a cushion on your floor jack saddle, an effective sanding block, and is an excellent coaster for your beer bottle or coffee mug- no unsightly rings on your workbench.

It's such a damned impressive tool, i may start marketing it. Laughing
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
A 15mm head cylinder head nut.
Put it between the spring plate. and the spring plate stop, on a swing axle car, before you jack it up to replace the axle boots. The wheels won't de-camber when the car is raised, and makes sliding the new boot over the "wishbone" or "pickle fork" area a lot easier, plus, the boot can be installed in the position that it will be in most of it's life, that is, with the weight of the car on the suspension.

That's a good trick.
OnlyVW
Samba Redneck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old hub cap off a rabbit I found in parking lot, No it wasn't stolen, just sitting on the ground, works real good for holding nuts, bolts, sockets, and anything else I would lose in the gravel drive way.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok for 12 bucks, on ebay, i got a VW tool No.179- 36 mm flare nut wrench for adjusting camber on type 1,2. i feel like ive won the lottery! my gal wont let me bring it to bed, so maybe i will frame it. i have a pic but i dont know how to show it. any help?

and for no money at all, i took a section of black pipe and some flat stock, and made a tool that gets out the tranny seal in 2 minutes flat! had to carve a taper and barb on the pipe using the lathe, drill holes etc. i wish i had a pic or even a camera, so you all can see what it looks like. i have been wondering how marketable it would be. aint it a bitch to get it out the other way?
lonslo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a scisser jack for $2 at Ecology and I use it to crank down the rear axle on my s.c. to get my rim and tire off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHEAP tools? I got tons of 'em but my favorite is a 14" flathead screwdriver my daughter got me for Christmas last year. It is really cheap - it was purchased at the Dollar Store - but the steel shaft goes completely through the plastic handle and ever has a steel head on it for hammering. I have beat/pried/forced/abused the crap out of that thing and it's never failed me yet. And if it does, it will only cost me $1 for a new one Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bubblehead wrote:
CHEAP tools? I got tons of 'em but my favorite is a 14" flathead screwdriver my daughter got me for Christmas last year. It is really cheap - it was purchased at the Dollar Store - but the steel shaft goes completely through the plastic handle and ever has a steel head on it for hammering. I have beat/pried/forced/abused the crap out of that thing and it's never failed me yet. And if it does, it will only cost me $1 for a new one Very Happy

I've got lots of those, and only a buck to replace when I lose them/throw them across the yard/leave them at the junkyard. They last forever otherwise. besides those, my new socket set is the best value. Everything in a neat little case with a handle. No more rooting around in the tool box for a ratchet and the right socket.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally learned the hard way not to ever again buy Chicago Electric tools from Harbor Freight. Cheap quality that doesn't last. I went though a heat gun, reciprocating saw, and a triangle sander. Next time I buy stuff like that I'm paying decent dinero for them.

As for cheap tools, the scrap 2x4 is a keeper, along with the 2x6. My other is the 4' length of pipe that I use as a cheater bar.
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norman wrote:
I finally learned the hard way not to ever again buy Chicago Electric tools from Harbor Freight. Cheap quality that doesn't last. I went though a heat gun, reciprocating saw, and a triangle sander. Next time I buy stuff like that I'm paying decent dinero for them.

As for cheap tools, the scrap 2x4 is a keeper, along with the 2x6. My other is the 4' length of pipe that I use as a cheater bar.

Amazingly I've had great luck with Harbor Freight tools. I've got a lot of them, and I've beat the crap out of their 1/2" hammer drill, 4" angle grinder, belt sander, and air nailers. They haven't failed me yet. The only problems I've ever had is with the angle grinder (the power cord shorted out but was simple to fix) and their scissors (I broke them the first time that I used them, but hey, they were only a dollar). Also their air fittings are prone to leaking, if you don't seal them up with loads of teflon tape.

Norman, I've got a 4' piece of angle iron that I use for locking flywheels and brake drums - gotta love that tool.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never being able to find the elusive factory reamer for kingpin bushings, I bought one of those cheap "brake cylinder hone" flex attachments. I slapped that baby in the drill with the rough stones and whala!! Perfect slip fit.
I also have to give some love to my trusty 17/19 Craftsman ratcheting box- end. Makes that upper right 17mm motor/bellhousing nut a cinch when pulling/installing a motor.
That 3 inch piece of german breather hose that keeps me from cross threading plugs.
Oh, and plastic golf tees. Keeps the vice grip free instead of clamped on the fuel line when you need it.
Oh, and as far as Harbor Freight? I got the $12 set of metric deep well impact sockets and for the price they rock.
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glandnut wrote:
my trusty 17/19 Craftsman ratcheting box- end.

Not a "cheap" tool
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for me it's my 'Micro Leatherman' on my keychain. I'm a systems tech at work and can fix pretty much anything with it. It even cuts Cat-5 cable. I lose it once a year or so, and when I do, I go straight to the store to get another. I go into a panic when I don't have it.

don't worry, the ciggaret is fake.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: