Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your most useful CHEAP tool?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straightened paper clips are good for opening CD drives.

Straightened/cut coat hangers are great for cleaning lint of Mrs. Cusser's two vacuum cleaners.

O-rings are good to replace CD-drive drive belts so the %^&%##^%*&%^# will open/close.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
bandaids are always nice.....says the man bleading from many fingers and arms and leggs.......kinda of a clutz this week.
Who needs a band-aid? A piece of paper towel held on by electrical tape works just fine.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrap wood. Lots of cut off pieces anywhere from 6" to four feet or so of boards and square posts (4x4, 6x6, etc.) and various thicknesses and shapes of plywood scraps. All leftover from various projects so little to no real cost but I use various pieces just about every time I work on my rides.

They are wheel chocks, pry bars, a little extra height on the Jack or under the Jack stands, protective pieces, soft hammers, spacers, something to drill metal over, buck boards for metal shaping, soft jaws for the vise, and whatever else comes to mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6x9 oval piece of plywood, cut out of a panel used for a speaker panel behind the backseat of my '67 Bug back in high school. Installed classic Jensen TriAxial speakers. Still have the cutouts. Now use one as a support plate on my floor jack when lifting the engine. Since I bought the panel for the car, the "holes" are free!
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: 3/8 inch copper water line Reply with quote

For a handy dandy cheap tool:
I use a section (3-6 inch) of 3/8 soft copper water line to make a tool to use when wire wheeling rust off bolts and studs.
The 3/8 inch line is just big enough to allow a 6mm threaded bolt/stud in. Use a hammer to gently crush the pipe to impress the threads onto the copper line so that you can "screw" the bolt into the pipe. Use the pipe as a handle when wire-wheeling the bolt (keeps from skinning your fingers or having the thing launch across the room).
Same hold true for a 1/4 or 1/2 inch soft copper line for smaller/bigger diameter bolts/studs.
Dave
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electrical tape - when the part of the watch band that holds the extra band in place broke, I took it to a watch repair place and they said the part isn't available. He said to use electrical tape. So rather than throw out the watch, I took his advice. This is my watch that I use for running, playing, etc. Guess I'll keep using it till the watch quits. Sounds cheap, I know. But no one notices, myself included.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an O-ring from Ace Hardware to hold down that extra tab of watch band.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Men use duct tape.

Wink
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or a Velcro strap
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call Timex and order 2 new bands, they are cheap. I hate catching the flap on everything, very annoying. Ive tried the o-ring... just doesnt fit right. Love the Ironmans, they are the only watches I buy now. usually last me about 4 years and I go thru a band a year or so. Take a serious licking and keep on ticking. Smile The ads were almost as iconic as VW.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: