Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

On the Cheap compressor and HVLP gun - Opinions?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: On the Cheap compressor and HVLP gun - Opinions? Reply with quote

okay i am trying to figure out which compressor/HVLP Gun i can get away with for repainting my bus on the cheap. once done, i plan to resell both since i will have no other uses for them and my budget is limited. I think it'd be cheaper than renting but i will look into renting a compressor, too

so here is what i am thinking:

compressor options:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34887

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=55222

Gun Option:
Ebay used sata nr95 and a cheapo 1.8 tip primer gun

or
devilbliss Finishline3 package offered for $230 shipped. requires 13cfm at 10psi (can those above compressor deliver that?)
http://www.spraygundepot.com/scripts/depot.exe?pgm=devmstrkit.bbx&custnum=&password=&sesid=

any input is appreciated, thanks, mark

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Shane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not meant to sound mean, but Harbor Freight is the JC Whitney of the tool world. Buy tools from there only if you plan to throw them away later.
In the world of painting, as a general rule, cheap equipment gets cheap results. But a good bit of bad results can be prevented by preparation. I'd say 90% of your work in a do it yourself paint job is preparation. It's all in how you sand, clean, etch, seal, etc. Do yourself a favor and rent a compressor then buy a good gun. And don't go cheap on the primers. What's under the paint makes a great deal of difference in what you see on the surface.

Just say "NO" to trailer queens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An inexpensive primer gun is just fine. If you are doing a careful job, you will use hi build primer and sand it anyway before you top coat. The 6.5 HP compressor looks like it will run most HVLP guns. One factor to remember is that, as the pressure goes down a compressor will pump more volume.
My recomendation would be to get a good finish gun. It will do a better job and have better resale. If it is just a one car event in your life, check closely on renting a compressor. It would save you a lot of hassles.
flynlowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 6hp 25gal Craftsman compressor and bought a new Sharpe Finex with a 1.3 tip for $95 from the local paint supply and was very impressed with the way it sprayed.
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks you may end up spending from $500 to $750 for a compresor/gun combination. By the time you add the primer, paint, sandpaper and other items you will be well over $1000. When you ad to this your personal safety equipment such as mask you could be hitting the $1,200 mark. Unless you are set on doing the painting yourself for whatever reasons you might consider doing the removal and reasanbly and let a profesional shop do the actual painting.

If you strip the car yourself and then put back all the accesories you should be able to get a pretty decent paint job for $1,200. Just putting a different spin on the subject.

By the way, if you are married have it done. If your wife is like most, whe will drive you crazy with her complaints of smell and "when are you going to be tru".

Good luck.
inksling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used a 50 dollar hvlp from harbor freight professionally for a year in a body shop i worked at, i liked it better than my devilbiss, but not as much as my iwata. with the cheapo from HF you have to watch the top of the paint cup, it drips easily. i bought the 150 dollar air compressor from HF (i bought it more for my airbrush though), the 20 gallon one, and i have had good results with it, it does not run my impact like i would like, but i can live with that. with cheap tools you ought to get it done for around 500 bucks. if you have some dents to pull HF also sells a nice little generic uni-spotter.

www.inksling.com
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i'm going on the cheap...budget limited...went with the HF $336 shipped refurb. compressor we'll see how it works when i get it in a week.

a coworker has some gun he is going to give me from when he painted his son's jeep a couple years ago...hopefully that will work for primer...i am also eyeing that iwata 400 but i won't need to buy a finish coat gun until next may...

i don't think i could have a pro paint the inside, outside, and underside, possibly two toned for $1200...my gear and topcoat supplies should meet that budget (i also have another $400 in primer, filler, rust inhibitor products, which i would self-apply either way) to top it off, i'd have a resale value on the gear if i need $$ to make my house payment Smile

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
inksling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of your paint job will depend on your painting ability and not the gun. granted, using good tools is better than trying to lay down the paint with a wore out tooth brush. but if you can afford an iwata, get it. they make great air brushes and even better paint guns. oh, fyi, alot of times it is not the gun but more the needles and head that helps the spray. if you get an iwata and a generic needle and tip you will know what i mean.

www.inksling.com
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i anticipate lots of color sanding Laughing gotta learn somehow....

as for tips/needles?, i think a complete package (gun, tip and cup) would include a tip by the same maker as the gun i choose....is this wrong?

thanks for the help, mark

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
inksling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
i anticipate lots of color sanding Laughing gotta learn somehow....

as for tips/needles?, i think a complete package (gun, tip and cup) would include a tip by the same maker as the gun i choose....is this wrong?

thanks for the help, mark

yeah, it will come with the whole set up. i guess what i was saying is you can improve a cheap gun if you can find better quality needles and tips. i found this out in school while i was learning to air brush. i had a passche vl and several companies made generic parts for it, the generic needles were not ground as smooth as the ones made by passche and that made fine atomization difficult. later in life when i began painting whole cars i found that a few of the cheap guns could interchange needles with higher dollar ones and make tham work a little better.

if i remeber right my devilbiss suction feed would interchange with a campbell hausfelleindesldjfh or what ever they are called, and i think my one from HF would interchange with one made by snap-on. i am sure there are others and i guess i was thinking out loud more than anything when i posted that.

sorry, did not mean any confusion

www.inksling.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: