Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminum Split
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would LOVE to have a brand new aluminum Split, and it does seem like a good deal to be a complete body including even the taillight housings. Like others said, drag racers, autocross racers, and even German-Lookers would benefit from aluminum panels, fenders, doors, etc.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make an aluminum barndoor 23 and now were talking.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Jason Eden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
make an aluminum barndoor 23 and now were talking.
What is the name of that car that looks like a bug with vents all over the back type A or something like that. There was a lowered green one on here awhile back.
rossvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Aluminum Body Reply with quote

What about a Hebmuller? That would be a great body that would probably have a lot of demand... imagine building a custom Heb from an aluminum shell...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Ross
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hebmueller. I think this would definitely sell due to the fact that there was a high demand for the steel repro body that was being produced in Austrailia a few years back (no longer) and the price of a real Hebmuller in general is high enough to make somebody want an aluminum one. Where as a split beetle is still out there and available if you want one.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Macca_nzl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be sweet to have a aluminium split body, the only downside that i could see would be that demand would skyrocket for parts like dash pods,lenses,interiors, meaning it would be a disadvantage for real split owners looking to restore one.Supply vs. Demand .......

just my two cents

Mac

wanted - Blade from ambo fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Gabe,
Do a Denzel, Rometch, pre-A, or even a '52 down 'vert.
Make something the everyday guy can't go out and buy now.
Splits are still out there
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Split Reply with quote

I agree with other members that a coachbuilt or a Porsche of some sort would be better than a regular Bug, even if it's a split or an oval. Splits and Ovals are out there, albeit not as common as they were when one could still buy a new air-cooled Bug in the US, but something along the lines of a Rometsch Beeskow, a Denzel, a Dannenhauer & Stauss, a Hebmuller, a Porsche 356-1 (the very first Porsche) or a Porsche Carrera Abarth, would be something that would be of interest to fans of coachbuilt cars and/or the unusual. Another idea would be to reproduce the VW30 prototype that led to the VW38 and KdF-Wagen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shadd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not an aluminum bodied Porsche 550 Spyder? I would give my left nut for something like that....
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five years and it never happened.

Not gonna happen, especially for $10k.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fifty-five
Samba Crash Test Dummy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get some aluminum panels. How cool would it be to save weight and still be able to say it's a all metal car, no fiberglass here. Rib doors, four tab hood, vert w decklid, and fenders sounds like a winner to me! Then I could finish out my originals when the body work and paint is being done and hide them away just in case I ever want to go back stock.... like that will happen Laughing
2276 turbo
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panzerfuska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might be irrelevant, but still a possible alternative: how about a kubelwagen body? one that you can use without concern of ruining an original off-road? i'd be definitely interested.
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider a replica Rometsch Beesgow as has been suggested already. As for an aluminum split, I'd much rather have a steel one. An aluminum Porsche or Hebmuller sounds good to me also, and if you want my advice I'd reproduce one of these rare and exotic models because with a Split Beetle body you'd have to worry about all the repro and original parts out there fitting your repro Split body, with a Romy or Heb you don't have to worry because the buyer would have no choice but to make all the missing parts from scratch or adapt period VW parts anyway. The one I'd actually pay money for would be a replica of a 1937 prototype, make a believable reproduction body of that and now you're talking.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
JESSEJAMES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Split Reply with quote

matt911949 wrote:
To all who might be interested...

My name is Matt Faulkner, and I work for Kirkham Motorsports. Over the past several years, Kirkham Motorsports has produced around four hundred aluminum bodied replicas of Shelby Cobras, a '41 Willys replica, and we are currently looking at other projects that may interest a wide variety of automotive enthusiasts. We're curious to know if there would be any interest in an aluminum beetle body. My first thought would be to make a split window, or maybe an oval as well. Anyway, I'll leave it up to you guys to decide if this would be a worthwhile venture. I would love to receive as much feedback as possible. Thanks guys.

By the way, the price would be around $10,000 for the entire body (no pan), and though it would probably be slightly thicker than steel, it should still weigh about half as much. Oh yeah, and no rust. Thanks again guys. I'm excited to see what you think.

Matt Faulkner, Shop Manager
Kirkham Motorsports
www.kirkhammotorsports.com

Hey Matt
I will take one!
PM me when its ready...
Thanks...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Split Reply with quote

FRANKYLUCKMAN wrote:

Hey Matt
I will take one!
PM me when its ready...
Thanks...

Jesse, did you see the date of the original post? FIVE years ago!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JESSEJAMES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Split Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
FRANKYLUCKMAN wrote:

Hey Matt
I will take one!
PM me when its ready...
Thanks...

I know I'm just Fuck'n around....
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
I'm with Gabe,
Do a Denzel, Rometch, pre-A, or even a '52 down 'vert.
Make something the everyday guy can't go out and buy now.
Splits are still out there

Romestch is the one he should be doing. They were originally done in aluminum id believe

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Split Reply with quote

FRANKYLUCKMAN wrote:
Bruce wrote:
FRANKYLUCKMAN wrote:

Hey Matt
I will take one!
PM me when its ready...
Thanks...

I know I'm just Fuck'n around....

yeah, because no way $10K for a complete bug body in aluminum.
overrestored
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is an old thread...

Repro's of a split would be nice... but they are not that rare (as has been previously stated). It has also been suggested to repro a more rare car... like a coachbuilt... and this might attract more attention.

But what about creating an entirely new "old coachbuilt" of your own design... in the style of the old cars?

An entirely new creation... if done well... Think Denzel, or Drews, or 550... or Waibel, or Glockler... somewhere in that vein... or even similar to that recent Rometsch Race car... this open body shape is very desirable... But not a direct copy of any of them...

The Glockler body or Rometsch race car are really attractive... so I would say that styling... but another version rather than a copy.

It should utilize all the existing vintage components available... stock headlights... some sort of stock taillights... available blinker assemblies... dash components... and a stock pan... swingaxle. I think it would be ok to raid any circa 1955 or earlier Porsche or VW parts bins for these components. especially if these parts were repro'd so that somebody who doesn't have access to the hard original parts could still build one of your cars... and then later... could slowly upgrade to more rare orig parts.

It might be called a kit by some... but if done with thoughtful attention to period details of the 1950's... I think the car would receive a warm welcome. There is logic and attractiveness to an entirely new vw coachbuilt... so long as it appears as though it were created in the period.

I like the repro hebs... and don't mean to be accidentally making any "comment" about them. They are quite well done and... well I will just leave it there.

I am just thinking that by creating an entirely new Coachbuilt... the creator would be expanding the VW Scene in a new direction.
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

every handcrafted car is unique to a certain point. where a man's hand ability does the forming and not the high pressure and steel molds there will always be a degree of freedom. a panel not sitting right, like someone said his rometsch has a longer door than the other. a gauge set that was available only for a car... handles etc.
so if someone thinks that an aluminum vw should be made, i say it can be done by anyone, and not for sale or a limited run. i for example like that heb coupe that was present at hessisch, not original but definitely a nice vintage approach. i think that all of us would appreciate such a built and would not hurry up to post it in the abortion thread... Laughing

ps. a shortened pan would be far more sexy than a all steel tube chassis.
and for a tight budget a 36hp and some stock parts would be more than ok.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: