Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

convertible latch handle repair? can it be done?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: convertible latch handle repair? can it be done? Reply with quote

I have a 62 with a crank that does not stay in the locked position. Is it possible to repair this unit? any help would be appreciated.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible latch handle repair? can it be done? Reply with quote

jpeterb wrote:
I have a 62 with a crank that does not stay in the locked position. Is it possible to repair this unit? any help would be appreciated.

John Copello will rebuild it like new.

Here's his email:

EDIT: John's new email: [email protected]

Or, KGP&R sells reproductions which are nice and work correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: It will cost you a nickel!! Reply with quote

Literially a nickel. I had the same problem when I was restoring my 58. There is a metal disc just about the size of a nickel at the joint. These wear out and the sides of the V shaped depression wears out after 40+ years.
All I did was take a dremal tool to a nickel to cut a V shaped notch and drill a hole in the center. This notch is what keeps it folded. I believe there is a spring inside also but its been a good 5 years since I fixed mine. Its really an easy fix once you take the handle apart and see the metal disc.

The only downside is cutting up US currency but I won't tell. It sounds like a bubble gum fix but it looks and works perfectly and will probably last another 46 years.

-Craig
akeyzoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My handle had a piece break off of it near the pivot point, as well as missing the "catch" to keep it from flopping. I took a quick peek on KGP&R and the repro they show really looks different from mine. Not a very big picture, but it looks different.

Has anyone ordered the repro from them, if so, so they like?

Chris
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGPR's look identical. They seem to be lighter weight, but they look and function like the original. I used the KGP&R because mine was so rough that the cost of re-chroming and having Copello fix mine would have been much higher than using the repro. I'm pleased with it.

Now the ball that goes on the end, that's a different story. The repro is a piece of white plastic that isn't nearly as handsome as the original ivory-looking ball.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
Now the ball that goes on the end, that's a different story. The repro is a piece of white plastic that isn't nearly as handsome as the original ivory-looking ball.

Can that ball be removed? I could probably make one of those.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ball is marble sized and held on with a countersunk chrome screw. Comes right off.
akeyzoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my OE ball, so cool. Thanks COAD, I will check out the KGP&R one.....they already know me VERY well.....

Chris, the one that lives in Hollister....and has a 68 cabrio. If you work at KGP&R you know who I am....
Mscdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect such an old post but I have a similiar issue and tried emailing the contact above - seems to be no longer valid.

I was curious if anyone does repairs of the crank. Mine does not stay in the folded position and hangs down. Would like to get it repaired if that is cheaper than 100-200 for a new one from KGPR

Thoughts?
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey coad that email address is long gone..its [email protected]
And yes i can fix them

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mscdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finally got around to getting my convertible crank off the car. I was planning to send to John for repair since it wont stay in the "closed" position and just dangles down...but looking at it, I can see some of the metal on the latch is broken off. Safe to assume this can't be fixed?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, you're right. The bit that has broken off holds a grub screw which holds the handle closed.
Mscdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. Looks like I'll have to purchase a repro one for some serious cash.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: