Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who's into vintage schwinns?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Who's into vintage schwinns? Reply with quote

Anyone else into old Schwinn bicycles? I restored my wifes pre war tank bike a few years ago and picked up a 1957 mens 26" with a two speed hub,the schwinn front brake,and decent fenders for riding around the neighborhood.

Last edited by TimGud on Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:38 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am, or was, until our shed was torched last month. I had several old Schiwnns (not as old as yours) but they were all destroyed. The only one that wasn't damaged was an unrestored '67 tandem (thankfully it was in the house because I was working on the tire). The insurance company is hooking me up, although I'm sure that I'll end up saving the money or spending it on the 'dubs.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tortron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparenty theres a bike to be dropped of here for me to restore, its about 50 years old but i dont know the make of it
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aggro_jo wrote:
i have a 51 schwinn hornet with panniers that i tool up to the quick shop on. Tank and headlight are gine but it still rocks

No you don't.

I had an old 26" huffy I raked the head on. I put some 80 spokes and a springer front end on it. I ground my welds down too much and the top bar busted away from the head. The bike unfolded and put me gently on the ground while I was waiting for traffic. I had just come down a big hill too. Very Happy
The Gnome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an original paint 1968 campus green stingray with rear slick, a not so great blue 1980 stingray that has been repainted, an original paint black AMC Avenger 5 with original 5 speed click shift (late 60's?), and a red, 100% original 1965 AMC Roadmaster Skyrider Deluxe (front tank with light, rear luggage platform).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by The Gnome on Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im rockin' a 2000 Schwinn Mesa while the Bus isnt running.....I guess that doesnt count... Confused
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '51 Red Phantom and a '63 green Corvette. I also collect '40s and '50s Schwinn bicycle badges of which I have over 100 different variations. Cool
lonslo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a stingray thats all o.g., but the one i'm restoring right now is a '40 Colson. Just picked up a comp. Phantom minus the wheels at a garage sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a couple, don't know the years on them though. My pride is a pre-war Cadillac bike, that I believe is made by Schwinn. I can't find any evidence to prove either way though. Sad Also a couple 60's Schwinns for cruisin.
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germanpride wrote:
I've got a couple, don't know the years on them though. My pride is a pre-war Cadillac bike, that I believe is made by Schwinn. I can't find any evidence to prove either way though. Sad Also a couple 60's Schwinns for cruisin.

You can determine the year from the serial number.

http://www.oldschwinn.com/how_old_is_my_schwinn/
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several Town and Country tandems in various states of shape from riders to parts.

The pride and joy is a 68 Mini-Twinn that is all roiginal except the tires and tubes. I need to rebuild the two speed kick back this winter.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
I have several Town and Country tandems in various states of shape from riders to parts.

The pride and joy is a 68 Mini-Twinn that is all roiginal except the tires and tubes. I need to rebuild the two speed kick back this winter.

That's a sweet bike, man. I've been looking for one that same color...let me know if you ever want to part with it.
Samba Member #4862
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That little tandem must be some FUN. Very Happy
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
That little tandem must be some FUN. Very Happy

yeah, that's awesome. I have a '72 full-sized tandem, and it's a blast. There are a lot of greenway trails around Raleigh, and my girlfriend and I have put many miles cruising around on that...I have a banana bike for cruising around shows, but it's not a schwinn...
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bubblehead wrote:
ToolBox wrote:

That's a sweet bike, man. I've been looking for one that same color...let me know if you ever want to part with it.

Last one I saw at auction sold for $2,200 and needed some work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a great condition 50's tandem. Dark green with pinkish tires. Someone gave it to me recently. It's in such good condition it's sicko.

The 80 year old neighbor that gave it to me said her husband bought it new "in the 50's", and they used it now and then around their golf club in Palm Springs.

I don't know if I should roll it or sell it. If it was a little more beat up, I'd roll it for sure.

Great. Now I've got a trailer queen Sad
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toolbox, I can email you the exploded view of that hub if you need it. I am guessing you probably already have it.

In 2000 I ebayed my mint ivory and light red '49 hornet with phantom seat, springer, rocket ray and taillight rack. The plan was to replace it with a B-107 with fenderlight--black and ivory. I have a '48 World straightbar frame, nice original locking springer, redband kickback hub and a few other parts. Still collecting the rest, but it could take years. Much like VWs, ebay has has driven the value of original parts for these bikes through the roof.

I miss taking my cruiser out for ice cream, and wish I had never sold it.
ToolBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Toolbox, I can email you the exploded view of that hub if you need it. I am guessing you probably already have it.

Thanks I do have one at the shop. They also have the factory repair stand for the hub too! Lots of little parts but nothing cool or big score time, the shop I used to work at has been a Schwinn dealer since 1937 till we dumped them when Pacific bought them and sold product at MalWart.
Das Dragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, I've got a '53 Black Phantom I'll bring to BBB-9 in Jan. Bring a bike so we can let Eric ride them and he can see how cool a vintage bike is!

DD

Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girl rolls a '53 Schwinn OG paint girls tank bike, horn missing, but rack and basket there.

I have a '50 JC Higgins Color Flow OG paint green/gold with red. The tank has all 8 jewels still and horn works. Anyone into JC Higgins cruisers?

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: