Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Advice on Repainting Wheels (Rattlecan)
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blacter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Need Advice on Repainting Wheels (Rattlecan) Reply with quote

I'd like to repaint the wheels on my '67 bug, but am not ready to invest in media blasting and an "A" quality professional paint job. Given enough time and effort on my part, is it possible to get a decent result using sanding and rattlecan paints? I'd appreciate advice on the best techniques and products I can use. Thanks, guys.
CPRcubed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stocl wheels on my '70 were really rusty, so bad that they were leaking around the tire beads (all of them). After spending the time to wire brush one, I finally just sandblasted them (fully). The wire brushing was definitely not doing as good a job as the blasting. I then used the silver POR-15 on the "inner" (between the tire beads) surfaces and primer/silver Plasti-cote wheel paint (rattlecan) on the outer sufaces. Came out pretty decent (they don't leak anymore!). Cheers!
HomespunKustom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanding wheels is a pain. I would recommend any type of paint stripper, aircraft remover, etc. Then thoroughly clean the wheels. When washing off the stripper use a wire brush (can help get rid of excess residue). Once cleaned, lay down some primer (couple coats) and then paint them whatever color you want. If you rush the prep, the end result will show it. Take your time.

'68 type 1 Kit

I am Spiderman. (part deux)
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West sells the correct color in a rattle can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regalasr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try cleaning up the rust with phosphoric acid (concrete etch) available at any True Value hardware store cheap. Do a search on this site and maybe the Type2.com site and you will find lots of discussions on using the stuff. It is cheap but be careful, it is dangerous if not handled properly and wear eye protection. I wouldn't even have it in the house if I had children around. I was lucky enough to find a guy here in the LA area (Pomona) who cleaned up my stock bus rims and re-paint them for $75 the set. They came out fine. PM me if you live around here and want to know where he is.
blacter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I spent about five minutes with a piece of sandpaper and the spare and realized that there's no way I'd want to do this job myself. I'm shopping around today for a local blasting/powdercoating shop.
HomespunKustom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pssstttt....paint stripper works too.

'68 type 1 Kit

blacter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, D. I didn't mean to dismiss your advice about paint stripper. I just realized that this was a bigger project than I was prepared to take on. I went to the yellow pages and found a shop that will media blast, powdercoat and clearcoat for $50 a wheel. Seems like a good investment.
63type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a set of five rims for my '63 bug blasted, cleaned and powdercoated. It cost me $50 per wheel too. A good price for a lot of work and really looks professional. Just so you know $50 a wheel is NOT a rip off. I've never complained!
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blasted and powdercoated rims will also last ten times longer than a rattlecan job.
vdubvr6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HomespunKustom wrote:
pssstttt....paint stripper works too.

paint stripper works good to get rust off??? Confused blacter >> that sounds like a great idea and price. i wish i had some money put away so i could do that to mine! i'll have to do the cheap route for now. Crying or Very sad Cool
HomespunKustom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it loosens the rust up and can then be scraped off with steel wool or the like!

'68 type 1 Kit

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: