Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shasta Snow Trip Official Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I'll be doing a write up for SV2's and possiblly SBC if no one else does it.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
campingbox wrote:
crofty wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's what I'm talking about.

I know this probably isn't the best place to ask but I'd like to find some (Be cool to atleast have one to run on the spare) 6.40X15" Mud & Snow Continental tires for my '56 subhatch Westy.
According to the museum they claim it has the M-code for it.

I found that tire here-

https://www.universaltire.com/Default.asp

Thanks Sean....I'll be running the Firestones unless I come up with some original ones for the bus.....
I'll probably want to pick up some more aggressive tires for the '58 Westy......I'm planning a "European snow theme (Swiss Alps?)" for this bus....
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

Thanks Sean....I'll be running the Firestones unless I come up with some original ones for the bus.....
I'll probably want to pick up some more aggressive tires for the '58 Westy......I'm planning a "European snow theme (Swiss Alps?)" for this bus....

I'll keep an eye out for those. I may run the ones I posted here on the snow trip. We'll see.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:

Whoa, you're the infamous pilot on that incredible desert escapade! I read that and dug it... then I met Richard at Kelly Park just after you guys got here! My life's been wonderful ever since! You hard-core guys really make the world go round'!

B

I think that trip was my idea...and a bad one.....I believe Richard had never been to Kelly Park and I thought it was a good idea for him to go......
I also though it was a good idea to pick him up in Phoenix on my way to Kelly Park.......leaving from Los Angeles.
Now I'm certain that anyone from this area realizes that is a poor route mileage wise...nearly tripling the distance of my trip.
I'm pretty sure that it was my foolish idea to bridge Phoenix and Lake Havasu by dirt roads....although Richard and I shared equal part in us getting lost......I should dig out my old issue of ABC to reread that story....anyone know what year/month he wrote that in?
YEOPANEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: hb Reply with quote

haha alright ill get right on it....what are the exact dates?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

That's what I'm talking about.

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=95511[/img]
it never posts pics for me Crying or Very sad
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CoBusDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard K. has tried to sell me the beater lime green DC he picked up here in CO specifically for the purpose of the Mt. Shasta trip. I get plenty of mountain snow driving here and unfortunately don't have a split at the moment. You all would prolly kill me if I showed up with my current ride... a LOWERED '71 westy...

Later
Mike

*builiding a Mt. Shasta bus... will be done in 15yrs...*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CoBusDriver"] You all would prolly kill me if I showed up with my current ride... a LOWERED '71 westy... [quote]

I'm sure if we didn't the roads would....
CoBusDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you're saying I'm not invited Sad (curls up into the fetal position and cries for mommy)

Just wait till I get the wonderwagen done... 15 more years I tell ya!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
will I be the only person driving a '61 sunroof standard?

There will be at least one other 61 sunroof standard on the trip. The Rustybus shall be attending again.

www.rustybus.com www.shastasnowtrip.com
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rachel wrote:
Lind wrote:
will I be the only person driving a sunroof standard?

Lind, you are such a dork! Rolling Eyes There has been a sunroof standard on the Shasta Trip the last four or more years. Not only that but it is a Real sunroof standard and not a hacked one.

Ouch, she got you there Lind.

With Brian answering these questions it is sort of like the Shasta Magic 8 ball. Will there be snow? "It is decidedly so".

Last year about the only new people with the guts to show up were women. If attendance continues in that direction soon the guys will either show up so they aren't shown up by all the females showing their driving skill, or they will show up to pick up on cool bus chicks Wink

rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
campingbox wrote:

My names Greg and I'll be freezing my ass off in the back of a barndoor singlecab.

Your riding in the back of a truck for the shasta trip? Punk fckin Rock!

That is going to get almost as chilly as in 2001 when I climbed on top of Brian's luggage rack while he was cruising down the road at a good clip. Wasn't bad till the ice started forming on my glasses and camera.

rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

I'm pretty sure that it was my foolish idea to bridge Phoenix and Lake Havasu by dirt roads....although Richard and I shared equal part in us getting lost......I should dig out my old issue of ABC to reread that story....anyone know what year/month he wrote that in?

I belive it is more likely that i helped talk us into the cross country route and Greg got us lost, but either way he guaranteed fun on the trip and the 26 hour drive from Phoenix to Havasu was definitely it.

One of these days we'll have to get Brian down here to do a trip like this across Arizona in the middle of summer Smile

kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quoteYou all would prolly kill me if I showed up with my current ride... a LOWERED '71 westy...

Hmmmm. Don't make us. Instead, obey Richard, buy the double cab and park the bubble on the salty side of Arvada... ]
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[
One of these days we'll have to get Brian down here to do a trip like this across Arizona in the middle of summer Smile[/quote]

That's not unlikely, I'll just duplicate your trip in reverse and bring my snake and gila monster catching gear to keep me occupied. What's the frequency of them funny looking cowboy shaped cactice? Can I find em' all over the place, an if I go to sleep in the desert in the night will they be surrounding the single cab if I open my eyes and peek outside... I'm deathly afraid of the dark???

B
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Drivers From Northwest Territories... Reply with quote

Drivers From Northwest Territories
Via routes out of your Delorme Gazetteer

Getting the most out of this trip with limited time is likely the name of the game, so I’d like to suggest some interesting travel options once you’ve gotten into California.

If Time Is Of The Essence, obviously the most direct route is I-5 south all the way to Hwy 20 at Williams, then west all the way to Willits; damn, how’s that for simple directions? Now let’s elaborate a little.

Routing For Those With Time To Burn: Suppose you have a comfortable amount of time and you don’t care for super slab the whole, painful way down I-5? Well, I’d suggest you cut west off I-5 at Hwy 97 for the most scenic trip down the completely remote Klammath River. Watch out for Bigfoot as these mountains host the greatest number of sightings in the country. Once you get to Hwy 299 at Willow Creek, go west out to 101. You could bore yourself taking 101 all the way to Willits, but why, when you could take Hwy 1 at Legget, west out through the forests to the coast? Once you get to Fort Bragg, turn left at Hwy 20 and wind your way through the woods again all the way over to Willits. With this much time on your hands, please ask me for the innumerable, way- better, optional scenic roads you could link all the way down to Willits. All the wild roads are shown in your Atlas & Gazetteer.

Potentially Fatal Psychotic Mendocino Pass Road: Duplicate the inspiration for this entire adventure. Read Old Chains In The Rusted Pail -the story that spawned this trek- on the shastasnowtrip website. Pull it down from the 2003 page link.

If you’re up for it, know that you could die on this one for sure, don’t try this unless you have your shit totally together, have good experience with everything you’re carrying and complete contingency supplies and plans. In a nutshell, you’re turning off I-5 at Willows, and west on Hwy 162 up and over the Mendocino Pass 40 miles to Covelo. If you get through, 162 ends at 101 10 miles north of Willits. Just to begin with, know that a sign will be posted: ROAD CLOSED.

Now, it might not be so bad if it’s not snowed in a week or so, but if it has, anticipate significant hell getting through. Who knows what it’ll look like in February, it might be completely clear and no chains will be needed to get through. However, I logged hours of mandatory chain use plowing up the long fire road that runs below and north of the main 162 “Highway”, which, for your information, is a dirt road. The highest elevations of 162 become impassable by even the most red-neck, chained-up, Dodge Power Wagons, hence, the use of the “low road”. Read all about it, research it on the internet, in your Delome Atlas & Gazetteer and watch the weather. If the weather is good for the week preceding your attempt, rednecks might have gotten through to give you tracks, if not, you’ll be like me… on your own. Be able and willing to handle anything, including backtracking 20 miles in the event of an unforeseen and impossible-to-cross barrier like a landslide covering the road which you can’t dig through. Carry a chain saw for the downed trees and bolt cutters or a battery powered Dremel Tool with multiple cut-off wheels to cut the locks on the forestry gates if, in the very unlikely event, they are closed.

One last thing. If you’re ballsy enough to try this route and it’s anything remotely as wicked as when I tried it, you will experience fear

A Less Insane, Yet Potentially Challenging Pass To Willits: Take I-5 south all the way to Hwy 20 at Williams, then west all the way to Upper Lake on the north end of Clear Lake. Turn Right up Elk Mountain Road. You may need to put chains on to get over it depending on weather. Climb, climb, climb, all the way to Lake Pillsbury. At the Soda Creek Store, make a left continuing back out of Lake Pillsbury on Elk Mountain Rd all the way down to Ridgeway Hwy and turn right Here’s where it gets interesting. Continue all the way up to the top of this narrow marginally paved road. It will abruptly become dirt with warnings that the road is no longer maintained as it enters -and crosses several times- the upper reaches of the Eel River on your left. You must follow the road most traveled here and cross your fingers as the TOPO MAP fails to cover detail here. Proceed for 1 mile or so crossing this stream several times until you reach… Tomki Road Congratualations, you made it through with your life and you’re now “found” again.Turn left down Canyon Road into Willits.

Once in town, turn left at Main, and drive down to the Burger King and turn right at the gas station across from BK. Turn left at Locust and look for buses in two blocks on right side.

These directions will likely change some before the trip after I pre-run the whole route, so be forewarned of possible ambiguities in this version. Consult the Northern California Atlas & Gazetteer for more clarity on routes. Thomas Guides for the counties we’ll be passing through are also excellent references. Never rely on just one source of information.

B.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'll be doing a write up for SV2's and possiblly SBC if no one else does it.

Glad to hear it. However, I don't think SBC is a club anymore.

B
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a recent picture of my feak Westy that I plan on driving on this trip. She is about ready to go except for the lack of heat. That is about the only thing that really needs to be tackled.

There are other picures of it in the gallery. Search under truckersmike.,

mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
crofty wrote:

Glad to hear it. However, I don't think SBC is a club anymore.

B

I think they could use some volunteers.

Though there is a rumor floating around about one of them getting into Chevy vans. Very Happy

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 453

Jump to: