Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shasta Snow Trip Official Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 432, 433, 434 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get "whtbus" ready, but ---- may end up in the high top- both are about the same amount of work.

Haven't been to Mt Shasta in 12 years- Lived at Lake Siskiyou for 10 before the FBS set in and had to go to warmer clim.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
Who else is trying to throw together some long forgotten bus for SST XV?

I wish. The garage bus remains the garage bus (despite the help of many SSTers) and I will be running the same bus.

In my time: Jeremy, Gene and Richard have all run the same bus year after year. Which bus has made the most trips? It must be between Bart and Rustybus. Maybe they tie?

I also note that both Jeremy's bus and my bus have been to Alaska and back. Any others? I think that despite Gene's residence Bart has remained in the lower 48? Or maybe not?
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe, how you doing? At 14 consecutive Shasta Snow Trips, Gene's DC has finally left the building. He came down last month and drove it back up to Alaska. Upsetting that I was home and missed him on his quick trip, but we were both juggling. Looking like he'll. We'll all see him again no doubt.

With that, and due to Halloween coming up fast, it's time for some scary-ass monster movie clips! Does everybody like scary-ass monsters? Good! Check it! Post your favorite Monster movie clips!

And.... BEGIN!

Link

Dead Alive Beginning:

Link
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now this one IS real scary... Actual Bay Window and Vanagon drivers... EEEK!

Link
badfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 months left! Whos ready? Whos not? What work is needed on your rigs?
60/66 Baja "Diablo"
73 Baja Dottie
R Morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badfish wrote:
3 months left! Whos ready? Whos not? What work is needed on your rigs?

Double Double is having tranny pulled for hardened first/second main shaft. RE-setting deck hreight on engine.
Oh, and polishing the paint too! haha
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously impressed with that racer-bus program. Who in the world would EVER want to go fast in one of these rickety old buses?? They're not reliable enough! They'll break down! They have no heat! They'll catch on fire! They'll tip over, they'll, they'll, they'll...

And so it is that we have one of the main concepts behind the trip: To take the simple machines as designed and prove they absolutely CAN get the hell up the road and out of their own way IF one understands the machine and keeps them maintained. "Go old-ass hippie bus!" Yeah, we can do that!

Who else wants to come out this year?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WILL get to this one year. Would love to take my '67 westy on the trip. Will be a long drive from MN.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
I WILL get to this one year. Would love to take my '67 westy on the trip. Will be a long drive from MN.

If it helps, it'll likely be warmer in California than Minnesota!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, Brian, I don't intend to get my bus that tippy on any ruts!
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a radical pre-trip we did in 2011. The SST won't include that or anything too insane. That was a somewhat alarming image though... with the cliff on the left, um, nice and risky! I like risky. Laughing

BTW Greg, you getting your program sorted out? Did you figure out the front drum pulling issue? I had my theory, what did you find? Also, is your girlfriend going on the trip with you?
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pics. check the FB page.
Johnny O came down and helped me knock out some shit today. Thats one bad ass dude!
The Lennox panel continues to make steps toward Shastadom!
Bus week at norcalmike continues! More to come!
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on starting to think about all of the stuff I need to do to Rustybus. If Bart is staying in Alaska and missing the Shasta for the first time ever, I guess the Rustybus is in the running for going as many times. Just has to go two more years to be tied with Bart.

As of now all I have left to do is put new axles in the Rustybus, build the new engine, rebuild the front beam including torsion bars, fix some wiring that is acting up, and do some welding so it will hold together a few more years.

www.rustybus.com www.shastasnowtrip.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to get the Shasta Shakes this year. It's been a while since my last trip but a lot has happened and I was in no position mentally or financially to make the trip until now. In that time, I can't believe how much this thing has exploded but yet it seems like more fun than ever.

Right now I'm just thinking of finding someone from the PNW to ride along with as a co-pilot but I maybe inclined to drive my 59 DD panel down but it will need some more work to make it solid. Time is running short so I better make a damn decision soon I guess.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truckersmike wrote:
Starting to get the Shasta Shakes this year. It's been a while since my last trip but a lot has happened and I was in no position mentally or financially to make the trip until now. In that time, I can't believe how much this thing has exploded but yet it seems like more fun than ever.

Right now I'm just thinking of finding someone from the PNW to ride along with as a co-pilot but I maybe inclined to drive my 59 DD panel down but it will need some more work to make it solid. Time is running short so I better make a damn decision soon I guess.

want a hand getting it on the road? im just south of you in seattle you know...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stuart. I'll let you know.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truckersmike wrote:
Thanks Stuart. I'll let you know.

also, if you wanted a copilot to help offset trip costs....im in the market.... Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, very excited that I'll see you again this year! It's been too long man! The mango standard you and I found surrounded by weed plants in Covelo that one year is thoroughly on the road now, saved by Adam Soltan who hopefully will be going as well this year. Adam! Post a picture of your badass bus for Mr. Mike to see... we found that thing back in the day!

This potential Win-Win situation between Foosed-Up helping you get your 59 Panel together has a LOT of great merit to it. One, it'll build community, two, it'll give you strength when you need it most on what is likely still a fairly tough project, and three, the most important part for me... Foosed-Up -if he doesn't find a co-pilot or Gypsy Ride- is threatening to drive his Bay Window south toward my home state of California... not ok. We need to keep all Bay Windows AWAY from California, and better yet, ship EVERY SINGLE ONE of them across the pond, where stylish VW enthusiasts still eat peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches... Mmmmmm!!! (Hurl!)

The kid's got a lot of energy and positive waves in a big way I understand. Dudes on the trip really like him. The 59 Panel has got problems for sure, but Mike, you remember how it rolls with two dudes chomping at the mechanical bit man?!! You can blast it together in fairly short order with all the positive voodoo! You've got 2.5 months... and that's a fair amount of time. When I get home from here before the trip...I'll have 2 weeks to finish my POS AND prerun 100+ miles of Forest Service Roads to ensure those routes this year will be open. I'll be providing maps this year too.

Have faith Mike, I'm really rooting for you and the Panel!
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you will participating again this year Brian. How many years have you missed now?

It's my understanding that the trip has grown exponentially since my last one in 2008. Are people now breaking up into teams? Doing different routes as to not clog the roads? How many buses came last year and how many didn't finish?

I've met Stuart a few times and he is a very enthusiastic bus owner. It's my belief that his bay runs off his pure energy alone. Very Happy Get a split Stuart and your world will open up!

There is a possibility I may have a co-pilot (a former newt) but it may take some convincing but if he comes, we will be a formidable team for sure.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
... The mango standard you and I found surrounded by weed plants in Covelo that one year is thoroughly on the road now, saved by Adam Soltan who hopefully will be going as well this year. Adam! Post a picture of your badass bus for Mr. Mike to see... we found that thing back in the day! ...

Not the best pic, but the most recent on here. She's come a long way since you guys picked her. Thanks!! Still hoping to have her ready in time, case is out for machining, but still would like to have a trans and need a front floor (or at least 'ghetto seal' it up somehow). Haven't posted yet since I'm not 100%, but if the bus doesn't make it this year, she will definitely be ready for the next one, but want to at least co-pilot this year if possible... Just want to make sure she's as ready as she can be as she's a daily driver..

'69 Bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 432, 433, 434 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Page 433 of 453

Jump to: