Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shasta Snow Trip Official Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 433, 434, 435 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustybus wrote:
I'm working on starting to think about all of the stuff I need to do to Rustybus. If Bart is staying in Alaska and missing the Shasta for the first time ever, I guess the Rustybus is in the running for going as many times. Just has to go two more years to be tied with Bart.

As of now all I have left to do is put new axles in the Rustybus, build the new engine, rebuild the front beam including torsion bars, fix some wiring that is acting up, and do some welding so it will hold together a few more years.

Dont start any rebuilding till after January 1st... it's tradition!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, I actually forget it's been TOO long. Glad you're working the angles... as we all know, getting the team mate is huge.

Adam, same for you, I know you may be going with Greg, but if not, lasso'ing some other gear-head is always a good idea... you know the score. Nice exhaust there! I can understand the challenges if you're engine is in a million pieces and your trans is out too... Damn.

The floor repair I like to use is pretty quick, you can use sheet steel, but I rather use easily-cut quarter or half-inch plywood, and shoot screws from the top through the floor and into the plywood. If you shoot enough screws into the wood, it'll suck whats left of the floor up flat and is strong. This is how the Rat Bus is currently holding the water out and the flying stuff in the cab from going through the floor. It's fast, easy, and doesn't create electrolysis with dissimilar metals as two wet plates will do: Anode, Cathode, Electric Path. kind'a hippie-like... "organic" man!

Was good hanging with you and Greg a couple months back. Hope to be tipping beers with all of you this late January.
Alex jabbering with Debo while burning engine cases...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is what we're all doing when we're trying to sleep...

Then there's this nightmare... If Deafvolks Clint, Darrel and a lot of good SST brothers can get this thing going -and kicking ass I might add- you two dudes got NO problems rocking your respective buses...

Triumph for Deaf Volks at Mt. Shasta:
[/img]
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otis_bartleh wrote:

Nice! I still recall how paranoid that lady was when we knocked on her door and she was so confused.

How much meth did you find in it? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Hey Mike, I actually forget it's been TOO long. Glad you're working the angles... as we all know, getting the team mate is huge.

Adam, same for you, I know you may be going with Greg, but if not, lasso'ing some other gear-head is always a good idea... you know the score. Nice exhaust there! I can understand the challenges if you're engine is in a million pieces and your trans is out too... Damn.

The floor repair I like to use is pretty quick, you can use sheet steel, but I rather use easily-cut quarter or half-inch plywood, and shoot screws from the top through the floor and into the plywood. If you shoot enough screws into the wood, it'll suck whats left of the floor up flat and is strong. This is how the Rat Bus is currently holding the water out and the flying stuff in the cab from going through the floor. It's fast, easy, and doesn't create electrolysis with dissimilar metals as two wet plates will do: Anode, Cathode, Electric Path. kind'a hippie-like... "organic" man!

Was good hanging with you and Greg a couple months back. Hope to be tipping beers with all of you this late January.

Not sure if Diana is rolling w/ Greg or not yet either, but if my engine is together by then my bus might be going. Floor and trans aren't out yet, but also probably won't be the deciding factor on going, moreso if I can get the engine together in time. I think I'll be "patching up" my floor before I get around to replacing it... (love the exhaust too Smile ) Always good hanging out, see you soon!
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

truckersmike wrote:
Nice! I still recall how paranoid that lady was when we knocked on her door and she was so confused.

How much meth did you find in it? Laughing

I found more wasp and hornets nests than anything else and the rat's home behind the gas tank! Shocked I did find a Jack Daniels coin that had been in there a while though. Very Happy At some point would be cool to bring it back by there and show them where it's at now...
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otis_bartleh wrote:
At some point would be cool to bring it back by there and show them where it's at now...

FYI, the route WILL be going that way this year... soooo... this might be the time.

The challenge of whipping out engines quick has always eluded me, instead, I became highly proficiant at finding and squirreling away smoker motors... just like the one from Greg. I'm stoked about that one. In my experience, it's more often the top ends (heads) that need service and so I've become good at that simple swap. Then, the ultimately important one: Pressure washer. I use hot or cold pressure washers and or pressurized solvent sprayers (as I did right away on Greg's 40) and bring the smoker motors to a completely new state of CLEAN! Once the shit is off of them, you aren't so horrified to get intimate with em.

I've never assembled an engine from the crank up... believe it or not.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
otis_bartleh wrote:
At some point would be cool to bring it back by there and show them where it's at now...

FYI, the route WILL be going that way this year... soooo... this might be the time.

Dang, hopefully the bus will be ready. If not though, I am!
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting there
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Then, the ultimately important one: Pressure washer. I use hot or cold pressure washers and or pressurized solvent sprayers (as I did right away on Greg's 40) and bring the smoker motors to a completely new state of CLEAN! Once the shit is off of them, you aren't so horrified to get intimate with em.

thats cheating....you dont have the option to clean the motor you have to work on on the side of the road now do you? that just aint right. not willing to get your hands dirty or something Percy?

Not talking Shame on you

Razz

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
thats cheating....you dont have the option to clean the motor you have to work on on the side of the road now do you? that just aint right. not willing to get your hands dirty or something Percy?

Not talking Shame on you Razz

Would you go into a gun fight without cleaning your weapon first? How about this: would you prefer to turn your underwear inside-out rather than wiping your ass? Intimacy with your engine is not an overstatement. If you wanna' fuck a crack whore inside the dumpster in the alley behind the seafood house, that's your business, but if I or anyone else comes to help you on the side of the road, you best have your engine compartment clean.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otis_bartleh wrote:
kombisutra wrote:
otis_bartleh wrote:

Dang, hopefully the bus will be ready. If not though, I am!

If I were you, I would do some reading on the dozen or so tribes of the Round Valley and have a little understanding of what the family may have gone through during the time that the bus belonged to them. Among the most special things to me -regarding a bus's history- are the original front emblem, steering wheel, and shifter knob. That man of the family who drove that bus held that wheel and shifted that shifter... for years. That's kind of heavy. Likely long in passing, you'll be speaking with one of his daughters likely.

If possible, I would suggest bringing Surf City Racing's Jeremy Leonard along who is also Native American on your visit. You have the original owner's last name yes? If so, we can confirm the correct house. It's been a long time.

This was the day and the Covelo Junkyard when your bus was saved. This Turkis standard was picked up also by Mr. More and sent off to someone for sheet metal use. He'd already picked up the Mango by by this time or I would have taken pictures of it. I helped him load it up. Any other images I had were from it sitting at Mr. Moore's place. Here's the Turkis bus that kept your Mango company for the days is was in the junk yard:
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, some good ideas... Unfortunately, 2 out of 3 of your fav og parts were missing (dang front spare tire mount), but I know what you mean... Yeah, I do have the PO's name on the paperwork too... Had to add that pic to the the ones you sent me before, thanks!
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've searched but can't seem to find the others on this computer. As I recall, it somehow had a late front end put under it, and it had deadly bee nests in it that gave me grief. I took a lot of pictures of the bus because I both debated taking it on myself, or helping Mr. Moore send it to market. If I find the others, it won't be for a long while.

Last edited by kombisutra on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
kombisutra wrote:
Then, the ultimately important one: Pressure washer. I use hot or cold pressure washers and or pressurized solvent sprayers (as I did right away on Greg's 40) and bring the smoker motors to a completely new state of CLEAN! Once the shit is off of them, you aren't so horrified to get intimate with em.

Not talking Shame on you

Razz

Plenty of time on the SST to get an engine dirty

or in a Westy

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Not talking Shame on you Razz

Would you go into a gun fight without cleaning your weapon first? How about this: would you prefer to turn your underwear inside-out rather than wiping your ass? Intimacy with your engine is not an overstatement. If you wanna' fuck a crack whore inside the dumpster in the alley behind the seafood house, that's your business, but if I or anyone else comes to help you on the side of the road, you best have your engine compartment clean.

okay, you have a valid point sir.

whats funny is i use the steam pressure washer at work to clean my engines all the time, nearly once a month ill give them a rinse....cleans always better to work on, no doubt. Razz just giving you crap Very Happy

so who needs a co pilot this year? Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
I assume you had to BUY a steering wheel from someone...

Nah, steering wheel was there, no shift knob or front emblem (front tire mount), but beetle smoothies instead of the bus 15's. Yup, you remember correctly, late front beam, and a shitload of bee's, wasps, and hornet nests, and still a few live bees nests by the time I got it!
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to start the 2015 Shasta Snow Trip Driver Roster. Quote, edit and ADD your team to the list if you're going!

1) Kombisutra, Brian/Nathalie/Alex 1959 Kombi, San Anselmo, Ca
2) Joe Cool, 1963 Panel, Yolo County, Ca,
3) Team Badfish, 1967 Panel, Sacramento, Ca
4) Pepto Bomber, 1965 Single Cab, Grants Pass, Oregon
5) Team Green Truck, 1963 Single Cab, Merlin, Oregon
6) OCTO, Rich/Charlie, 1966 Standard, Inland Empire, Ca
7) Team Surf City Jeremy, 1966 Kombi, Santa Cruz, Ca
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Time to start the 2015 Shasta Snow Trip Driver Roster. Quote, edit and ADD your team to the list if you're going!

1) Kombisutra, Brian/Nathalie/Alex 1959 Kombi, San Anselmo, Ca
2) Joe Cool, 1963 Panel, Yolo County, Ca,
3) Team Badfish, 1967 Panel, Sacramento, Ca
4) Pepto Bomber, 1965 Single Cab, Grants Pass, Oregon
5) Team Green Truck, 1963 Single Cab, Merlin, Oregon
6) OCTO, Rich/Charlie, 1966 Standard, Inland Empire, Ca
7) Team Surf City Jeremy, 1966 Kombi, Santa Cruz, Ca
Dedley Accurate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are bugs welcome as well or is this a Bus only event?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip -Jan 29th - Feb 1st 2015 Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
This adventure is an exclusively pre-1967 VW Bus journey from lower Mendocino County to Mt. Shasta City via up to 450 miles of dirt and paved back roads

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 433, 434, 435 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Page 434 of 453

Jump to: