Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shasta Snow Trip Official Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 440, 441, 442 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sideshow wrote:
I would like to see this event with less inconsiderate assholes as a whole and kept on the down low.

Thank you Mr. Sideshow. I concur completely.

Self governance becomes necessary as a tiny group grows large and different philosophies conflict.

Many philosophies are conflicting, and fortunately, separation is easily achieved by where we pound our tent stake, how we route our own SST drive, or how hard we push the gas pedal.

On my trip, I utilized all three of these necessary freedoms. 1) I camped in locations others literally couldn't get to, 2) I routed my drive literally around conflicts, and 3) I utilized my gas pedal to distance myself from noise (radio) dust, and internal challenges of a mob driving experience.

Consequently, our trip went pretty well. Nice too that our mystery engine and mystery transaxle combination -with proper attention- worked very, very, very well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by kombisutra on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:34 am; edited 4 times in total
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read it sounds like it was a good trip. Curious is the start time of WednesdayThursday was why folks headed back earlier than in trips past?

What was the count at the RS and final arrivals?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure there were 42 out of the chute with KCW not making the start. Very difficult to have lost Team Norcal Relics (broken nose cone), as well as Team OVP Manny who's paint brush and can of paint was more important that a CB radio -he got lost in the forest after bagging the summit of Goat Mountain, never to be seen again.

Not sure how many made it to Shasta, but many -like my bus- gambled that we could traverse 26 for a Gumboot Lake arrival into Shasta, only to get shut down by snow and required to take 25 (Ramshorn Road) all the way over to I5 at Dunsmuir. I was disgusted by having driven I5 for 10 miles up to Shasta, and will personally disqualify myself for having done so. FAIL.

Many others followed as it was a posted route, and it looks like the DD Antihero Bus of Andy and Lita, found an alternate of Old Stage Road somewhere a few exits up I5 and took it, keeping to the NO I5 concept better than any others coming over Ramshorn. Andy and Lita get a pass in my book for their efforts.

Overall, really great trip for most of the drivers with many more stories to follow.
sideshow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good time, it is all ways a good time as SST is what one makes of it.

I personally set a record of the very first time I didn't make it home under my own power from any trip. So in the first 20 years of ownership, and 200,000 miles of use, I towed it. This is the first time ever I have towed it. Depressing yes, but unlikely enough of a setback to prevent another attempt.

There is some push for back to a one day format, the traditional trip. As a truck owner I detest camping (cuz I've have no camper), but I also love the slower pace of the two day trip.
Just a suggestion; odd years = one day trip, even years = two day trip

Just a suggestion; No press, beyond maintaining of the historic record. Exclusion maybe if the numbers drop below 10, or is a trip veteran
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
I was disgusted by having driven I5 for 10 miles up to Shasta, and will personally disqualify myself for having done so. FAIL.

Considering how much I-5 I have to drive just to get to the RS and home, I won't disqualify myself for driving another 10 miles of it.

All in all, I thought it was a great trip. The two day format was different but I liked not being extremely sleep deprived (thought some lack of sleep is par for the course), and the roads chosen were great. Being able to carabus with the Oregon guys also helped make the trip a lot more enjoyable. Lastly, I noticed that an advantage of having such a large group of people is that it made it easier to split up while others stayed behind to help those who were broken down. In the past with only 15 or less buses, it was harder to leave anyone behind.

There were only a few things that bothered me on this trip, mainly all of the times we stopped for no apparent reason other than to chat, drink a beer and smoke. A well prepared driver should be able to do all of those things in transit. The occasional pee and gas stop is necessary but let's keep the pace swift and as constant as possible. And I could have done without the late night screaming at the RS from those who like to get no sleep. Be considerate and keep your partying down so others who want to get some sleep can.

Finally, I'm not sure how I feel about how large the trip has become. I can see positives and negatives for controlling the size. In the end, I guess anyone can do what they want and separate from the main pack to get some breathing room but I also like seeing so many buses rip through the bush at a good clip. It's my understanding that some of the old timers have stopped coming because they feel it's too big which makes me sad because the number one reason I like to go on the SST is to see all you guys again. The driving comes second.

And about FB being the main format for updates, video and photos. Until Samba becomes more phone friendly, the action will continue to be on FB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I wasn't driving, I managed to shoot a few videos. Here is my amateur attempt at video editing.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truckersmike wrote:

There were only a few things that bothered me on this trip, mainly all of the times we stopped for no apparent reason other than to chat, drink a beer and smoke.

I remember stopping a bunch for pics and waiting for cameras to get set up for the perfect action shot!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true and yet we managed to do the entire trip in one day. We also managed to find the time to play when we saw fun puddles and side road antics.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like its time for the old crew to get some new dates and do a secondary trip. and dont post it on facebook, post it here, in a different thread, but on the samba.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
sounds like its time for the old crew to get some new dates and do a secondary trip. and dont post it on facebook, post it here, in a different thread, but on the samba.

But then you'd see it.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

But then you'd see it.

i dont have a split, so why are you worried about it?

Rolling Eyes

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
badfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sideshow wrote:
I would like to see this event with less inconsiderate assholes as a whole and kept on the down low.

We had a great trip and I am glad i wasn't part of the mess at the CCI..

I loved the routes we took this year and the group of drivers we were with.

"DD Antihero Bus of Andy and Lita, found an alternate of Old Stage Road somewhere a few exits up I5 and took it, keeping to the NO I5 concept better than any others coming over Ramshorn. Andy and Lita get a pass in my book for their efforts. "

ColonelB (kerner) and Dillan Skinner with co-pilot Danny Brand were with us when we diverted off the 5 to come into Shasta
60/66 Baja "Diablo"
73 Baja Dottie
maddog125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truckersmike wrote:
When I wasn't driving, I managed to shoot a few videos. Here is my amateur attempt at video editing.

Link

I enjoy living vicariously through these videos. I'm hoping to find a bus for a Shasta trip down the line, and I'll promise not to be an asshole when I do. Laughing
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badfish wrote:

ColonelB (kerner) and Dillan Skinner with co-pilot Danny Brand were with us when we diverted off the 5 to come into Shasta

Copy that, duly noted. I appreciate that all you guys kept to the concept and will take note of the southern part of Old Stage Road to grant a pass to all who roll over Ramshorn and must transit that short hop to Old Stage. No one is keeping score, but keeping to the concept is challenging and cool.
badfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Copy that, duly noted. I appreciate that all you guys kept to the concept and will take note of the southern part of Old Stage Road to grant a pass to all who roll over Ramshorn and must transit that short hop to Old Stage. No one is keeping score, but keeping to the concept is challenging and cool.

Thank you sir
60/66 Baja "Diablo"
73 Baja Dottie
jeffreezeyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have videos uploading as I type, some are already uploaded. I don't edit my videos, you can check them out here. https://m.youtube.com/user/jwmonkey23

If you want copies send me an email and I'll try to get them to you somehow.

Heart and I(Jeffrey) had a blast, great to meet ya'll!

Edit: All videos are up that I took. Link above.

Last edited by jeffreezeyeti on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badfish wrote:
sideshow wrote:

Was there a mess at the CCI again? I guess I didn't see it...

-------------------------------
My garage:
1977 VW Bus (Riviera)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68veedub wrote:
badfish wrote:
sideshow wrote:

Was there a mess at the CCI again? I guess I didn't see it...

There was a bit of a party in the parking lot between bar closing time and 4am on Friday night / Saturday morning. I believe that was the "mess" referred to.
As far as literal mess, most people put cardboard under their oil leaks and so that was a non-issue. One big gear oil leak but I think the individual cleaned it up properly with oil absorber.
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like another good trip. I am coming back in 2016 with the same bus.

I noticed, maybe 4 out of last 5 years or even 5 out of 5, storms hit heavily one weekend after our trip??? Its raining heavily this weekend in most area of Nor cal. Just because certain people want to "bust" NFL fans' balls. SMH! Hope it will be opposite next year.

Btw, I agree - facebook sucks! All pics, comments get lost or spread out thin. I miss the old days on this forum.

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
C.Moore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor Cal is going to be getting a lot of rain starting this morning and through the weekend. Or say "the weather guessers".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 440, 441, 442 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Page 441 of 453

Jump to: