Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shasta Snow Trip Official Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 446, 447, 448 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

Not promoting it this year. Should be (appropriately) the smallest SST in years. As you can see, there will be only 7 buses total, vs 30 or more last year. Of the seven drivers for this year, who will bet how many blow their motors before getting to the starting point? Laughing
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
I am a bit saddened that sst is not very active on the samba. Sst is open to all adventurous split bus drivers. You grow the huevos, we will help you deliver them.

Joe (and everyone else), I turn 16 this February, and am planning on doing SST as soon as I get out of college (or sooner). Ive always wanted to do it since seeing the bullet bus when I was like 5. Im raising my panel back to stock height this summer in preparation!
Looking forward to all the sweet videos!!! Laughing Laughing
James
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Not promoting it this year. Should be (appropriately) the smallest SST in years. As you can see, there will be only 7 buses total, vs 30 or more last year. Of the seven drivers for this year, who will bet how many blow their motors before getting to the starting point? Laughing

I predict 0 blown motors
I have my fingers crossed for 0 broken gearboxes but it has been happening a lot lately
I predict as a small group and this years new schedule we will be pushing the boundaries like never before
I expect to get stuck
I expect to push, pull, dig, winch and curse my way out
This shall be repeated until we achieve victory

This year it is death or glory!
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

I predict several broken trans mounts, and at least one broken nose cone.
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

Greetings from Deaf Volks Rally Team, whilst over here it may seem as it is all quiet on the western front, it is probably more likely because we are Deaf- regardless we are anticipating the trip as usual. Less talking, more doing.

Expect approx. 5 buses deep from Deaf Volks Rally Team

All quiet on the western front, indeed....

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

if it gets any more scarce, I may have to join you Shocked better start the rally up brian Wink

Very Happy

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

derRHDmeister wrote:
Greetings from Deaf Volks Rally Team, whilst over here it may seem as it is all quiet on the western front, it is probably more likely because we are Deaf- regardless we are anticipating the trip as usual. Less talking, more doing.

Expect approx. 5 buses deep from Deaf Volks Rally Team

All quiet on the western front, indeed....

You guys always bring the hardest core VW enthusiasts! Spanning multiple countries, Deaf Volks is one of the most serious VW groups out there. You guys prove that limits to one's hearing absolutely does NOT limit one's will, tenacity, and ability. DEAF VOLKS IN DA' HOUSE! Gonna' be a party!

Stoked you guys are bringing it! I can promise this year will be fun!
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

2016 Shasta Snow Trip Program:

Wednesday: Arrive morning/afternoon/evening. Relax, organize, camp.

Thursday: Hangout, mount chains, seek new routes in mud and snow.

Friday: 0420: Explode out of the Mendocino throwing rooster tails of mud and snow, all day long and into the night for 350 or more miles, all the way to Mt. Shasta!

If your team is to succeed, you will drive hard, you will drive fast, you will drive efficiently, and will jettison all non-hackers to their own ineffective reality. The SST is, and always will be, a multi-level performance-based, function over form event. It matters not, what you or your vintage bus look like, but rather, how well you and your bus -together- perform. Perform, during the going, and perform during the not-going.

While the Staging Camp and the the Mt. Shasta are common to the SST every year, besides the traditional recommended route, the routes drivers ultimately take remain their own program. This year some veteran drivers will be exploring never-before-run routes to the east of I5, some will be hugging the inner east mountains, and still some will be traversing the mainstay SST routes of the western slopes, valleys and potentially impassible northern passes.

Common also to all routes however, drivers know the object of the SST is to get to Mt. Shasta City, ONLY by way of the most primitive dirt and back roads they can find and navigate, making a priority of staying OFF the huge thoroughfares of all highways as much as possible. Bragging rights go to all drivers who religiously stick to this concept and succeed at staying OFF I-5 in particular. The greatest bragging rights will go to the drivers who absolutely defy the odds and plow through the most difficult routes demanding the most in driver skill, driver tenacity, and mechanical preparedness; if done properly, the 2016 Shasta Snow Trip will challenge every driver team to an uncommon level. This year we welcome a return of the proper Shasta Snow Trip. Your challenge is to conquer your own routes, breakdowns, sleep deprivation, and arrive in Mt. Shasta by midnight... where your beer awaits.

Last edited by kombisutra on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
If your team is to succeed, you will drive hard, you will drive fast...

I have to ask, what is your definition of fast? Are you thinking like big nut reduction box bus with a freeway flyer 4th and 3.88 at WOT, or are you feeling more like whatever the tired ass, smoky, 1600 dp that you picked up at the junk yard can do without burning all 4 exhaust valves simultaneously in a small nut bus?

Sorry, just have to ask, as I rarely hear the word fast used in relation to buses Laughing Laughing

Good luck guys, I look forward to joining the ranks of SST soon!
James
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

vwbusman66 wrote:
kombisutra wrote:

I have to ask, what is your definition of fast? Are you thinking like big nut reduction box bus with a freeway flyer 4th and 3.88 at WOT, or are you feeling more like whatever the tired ass, smoky, 1600 dp that you picked up at the junk yard can do without burning all 4 exhaust valves simultaneously in a small nut bus?

Sorry, just have to ask, as I rarely hear the word fast used in relation to buses Laughing Laughing

Good luck guys, I look forward to joining the ranks of SST soon!
James

More about taking the corners in third instead of dropping into second, and putting the pedal down whenever you can.
Not freeway speed, big motor is not necessary. I feel stock is best.

Brian runs some worn out equipment and he is stupid fast.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

vwbusman66 wrote:
kombisutra wrote:

I have to ask, what is your definition of fast?
James

Good question. Fast is totally relative. Obviously these old tired-out tin cans are slow -relative- to anything modern. Slow as hell actually. So, by fast, I mean, in the environment the trip takes you through. Fast, like Joe says, maybe third gear down a single lane down hill sweeping turn, loading the suspension first to prevent the tuck, then stomping all 40 hamsters down and breaking the ass end loose in ones best make-believe Dakar truck stage.

The trip takes advantage of as many single lane dirt and secondary back roads as possible, so based on how close the sides of the roads are, the ditches, the cliffs, the trees, "fast" is pretty easy to accomplish. Still though, staying fast and efficient has to be promoted, because inevitably, drivers will bunch-up, want to stop, take pictures, bullshit, and ultimately waste a lot of daylight, when the objective is to get to Mt. Shasta before midnight. Based on the slow mountain roads which make up the vast majority of routes, even leaving as early as we do, getting to Shasta City before Midnight can be tough some years.

Still tripping out on this 1973 Beetle rally footage, much of which looks a lot like the SST, at least from my windows. Really a lot of fun!

Link
vwbusride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

Brian is a skilled badass when it comes to driving old buses fast.
Years ago on Shasta # ?? we were driving from Forks of Salmon to Willow Creek. I had a fresh 1776cc with fully loaded 4:12 r/p.
Brian had all stock and probably pretty wore out. As we were heading to Willow Creek I tried very hard to stay on his tail. I did good for many miles then he got smaller and smaller in my sights. Finally he was completely out of sight. When we caught up with him in Willow Creek he already had taken a dump and filled his tank and was asking for a push start. Hahahah!!!!
-A
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

Hi Aaron! Fun times man! Hey, new venue this year, can you come out? PM inbound!
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

On board with The DBC! Far and away, the fastest and most prepared drivers on SST 15. You'll notice there's no other bus behind them (or in front I can guarantee) because The DBC doesn't wait for anyone -and Ill be damn if they didn't lose me too (got em' back in the wicked steep mountain roads though) Good footage of some of the tight fire roads of the Mendocino and Trinity mountains, loading and unloading of the suspension. DBC IN THE HOUSE!!

Any other drivers contemplating doing the SST in a quality Snow Year: You have about ten days to pull it together. Make it happen!

Link
seizure66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

Hello.

I may need to initiate a plan B. Not sure yet. I have been working on a 62 Panel and I am cutting it REAL close. Might anyone have a seat for a copilot? I am a good navigator, and decent wrench. I have snow boots and warm clothes and a coffee cup. Then, I may need a ride back to Lodi. I'll have my gear one way or the other.

Geoff, from NAZ.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seizure66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

Got the bay fuel tank in today, it's all I had, and the brake pedal assembly refreshed, brakes bled, wiring harness all plugged in where should be. Tomorrow battery and engine and we will give it a shot. I am hoping to get some holes patched on the lower sections, as to not take in rivers as much. I'll do some other things when I get there I suppose, if all works in my favor. Not sure I want to show up without a bus without a prior arrangement for copiloting. Please let me know if any of you see this and have room for another. I don't post on samba much, so I know not many know me, but let me know. Thanks guys!
spencersk8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

Hello there. As the SST draws nearer and nearer I find myself in Northern California again lacking my own ride for such an adventure. However, similar to last year I still have a burning passion for backcountry bus driving (at high speeds of course) and so, not to step on Seizure66's toes, butonce again I'm looking for a copilot spot. As full disclosure is necessary for the honor of being a copilot on such a trip, I remain highly enthusiastic about vws, I'm still a novice mechanic at best, I own camping gear, Im able to use a real life paper map that's not on my phone, I'm still ok at drinking beer and cracking jokes, and im still doing everything last minute (perhaps some of u can relate haha). That being said I met many folks similar to myself last year and was hoping to make it again this year. Im a good copilot I'd like to think (chime in Chas haha) and I'd love to make the trek again. If anyone has an extra spot I'd be humbled to join. I'm happy to be cold and dirty for the dubs.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

Join the Mt Shasta Snow Trip Facebook Page for real-time updates and details.

Ladies and Gentlemen: START YOUR ENGINES! The sixteenth annual Mt. Shasta Snow Trip HAS BEGUN!

18 drivers, 18 old buses now closing in on the staging camp in the very muddy Mendocino Mountains. Will post here when time allows.
bad dog racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

Good Times to all!

SurfCityRacing wrote:
What's my muthafukinname? Bad Doggy Doo-ooo-oog!

Last edited by bad dog racing on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bad dog racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

DP

SurfCityRacing wrote:
What's my muthafukinname? Bad Doggy Doo-ooo-oog!

Last edited by bad dog racing on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 446, 447, 448 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Page 447 of 453

Jump to: